Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Our hippies went up into the woods when they came here, and they generally tended to mind their own business. Most of them were "back to the landers" who just wanted to sit in their cabins and do whatever it is that they do. The gentrifiers, on the other hand, move right into town, buy houses up on the cheap, run for selectman and school board, and think the whole purpose of Maine is to be a quaint picture postcard setting for their upper-middle-class boat-owning fantasies. The one good thing about living on a street where there have been meth labs, heroin dealers, and other such things, is that the gentrifiers are scared to death to come near it.

Your hippies are fine. The ones we have here ended up doing what the gentrifiers do there and this was 40 years ago, except they wanted to create a no-work, free dope society.:eusa_doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ours tend to work very hard -- you don't survive in the woods of Maine for very long if you're a slacker. Unfortunately, more than a few of working-class families in Maine are finding one of the few ways left to make a living is to grow pot for them and for the hipsters. This is what happens when about the only alternatives left for working people in Quaint Arty Upper Middle Class Maine are to mow the gentrifiers' lawns, mop their floors, clean their toilets, and raise their kids.

Maybe the hippies have the right idea -- get off the grid, hide in the woods, and plot against the System.

Ours tend to work very hard -- you don't survive in the woods of Maine for very long if you're a slacker. Unfortunately, more than a few of working-class families in Maine are finding one of the few ways left to make a living is to grow pot for them and for the hipsters. This is what happens when about the only alternatives left for working people in Quaint Arty Upper Middle Class Maine are to mow the gentrifiers' lawns, mop their floors, clean their toilets, and raise their kids.

Maybe the hippies have the right idea -- get off the grid, hide in the woods, and plot against the System.

They work. There is the HUGE difference.
I see yours still smoke dope though. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I grew up in the pre-gentrification era. There were glue sniffers and potheads then, but there were far fewer of them, and they were ostracized. Now they're, as the hipsters say, totally mainstream. Gentrification has made these problems much, much worse over the last twenty years or so.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Send them all to New York.

As long as they go to New York City. I like Upstate too much. The community around my parent's farm is like the golden era with internet thrown in and I would like to be able to afford to retire there.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
The one good thing about living on a street where there have been meth labs, heroin dealers, and other such things, is that the gentrifiers are scared to death to come near it.

Walter White: anti-gentrification hero.

2361a53f.jpg

I grew up in the pre-gentrification era. There were glue sniffers and potheads then, but there were far fewer of them, and they were ostracized. Now they're, as the hipsters say, totally mainstream. Gentrification has made these problems much, much worse over the last twenty years or so.

I can just imagine. There hardly any dope smoking out here until the hippies and the like showed up. I mean Robert Mitchum was about as high profile as it got back then. :p

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Believe it or not, the hippest young people of the early to mid 1970s were wearing ... vintage 1930s and '40s clothing. It's true.

One example among many, if you know where to look: the Pointer Sisters, garbed in vintage 1940s dresses and hats, pose for the cover of their 1973 debut album. And don't forget David Bowie, who abandoned his 'Ziggy Stardust' persona in favor of the '30s-esque 'Thin White Duke'.

02_03_07_pointer_sisters-redferns-n_zps47a6e505.jpg

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Believe it or not, the hippest young people of the early to mid 1970s were wearing ... vintage 1930s and '40s clothing. It's true.

One example among many, if you know where to look: the Pointer Sisters, garbed in vintage 1940s dresses and hats, pose for the cover of their 1973 debut album. And don't forget David Bowie, who abandoned his 'Ziggy Stardust' persona in favor of the '30s-esque 'Thin White Duke'.

02_03_07_pointer_sisters-redferns-n_zps47a6e505.jpg

KINDA OT BUT: I love the Pointer Sisters!!! :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ours tend to work very hard -- you don't survive in the woods of Maine for very long if you're a slacker. Unfortunately, more than a few of working-class families in Maine are finding one of the few ways left to make a living is to grow pot for them and for the hipsters.

"Street value: $800,000.00"
Man. That kind of jack would tempt just about anybody.
Modern bootlegging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot