Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is everything marked "VLV"?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
As I'm searching and shopping, I keep coming across items marked "VLV" which I think means "Viva Las Vegas". eg "excellent beading, huge skirt, perfect for VLV" Is there some big vintage expo in Vegas? I tried searching here and Google but couldn't find anything on why VLV is so common in descriptions.

Anyone able to help a newbie out?

(Sorry if this info is elsewhere, tried searching but couldn't find a thread on vintage terminology. If there is one, can somebody please bump it?)

Thanks,

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's ended up being one of those all-purpose eBay descriptions that basically means "anything before 1970." If you do an eBay search for VINTAGE VLV ART DECO ROCKABILLY MAD MEN EMO GANGSTER, you'll have about all the bases covered.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
It's ended up being one of those all-purpose eBay descriptions that basically means "anything before 1970." If you do an eBay search for VINTAGE VLV ART DECO ROCKABILLY MAD MEN EMO GANGSTER, you'll have about all the bases covered.

Ha ha!

I already figured a few of those out too. Hmmm...if I were all of those, I'd be a bullet bra, wiggle skirt wearing woman with some killer streamlined jewelry and a richard hudnut compact who cried as I robbed you.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lizzie, lol ! Sometimes when my husband and I find something cool when we're antiquing or thrifting we'll walk around and make up absurd ebay titles for them.
"VLV Pinup OSS Steampunk Lolita Rockabilly Dress" etc. Haha.

Ebay has spawned it's own lingo, kind of like LOLcats.

Steampunk_Doll

New in Town
23SkidooWithYou said:
Ha ha!

I already figured a few of those out too. Hmmm...if I were all of those, I'd be a bullet bra, wiggle skirt wearing woman with some killer streamlined jewelry and a richard hudnut compact who cried as I robbed you.
lol, I just have to say Pinup and Elegant Gothic lolita are the complete opposite.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Your Smart!!!

LizzieMaine said:
I'd have never figure it out! my 1st thought was the newest like of some rhinestone "tattoo" looking appearl,compacts,hair care products & I think Perfum as well! I've seen them in the "Fancy" department store ads! I want to say the guys name Is Barry or Harry or something to that effect!two very short names but really selling to the tweens,teens & twenty-somethings that are into Rock-a-billy or Psycho-billy.
[huh] WHATEVER!hahha

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

*giggle*!

The little old lady that I buy my patterns from was saying to me "I see these on eBay for obscene amounts and they are all labeled 'Rockabilly.' Do you know what that means?"

I tell her it's a code word for anything "vintage" or, more specifically, "1950s."

Her response: "Well, it's a word they made up because I've never heard of it!" lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
1*Cool*Kitten said:
I'd have never figure it out! my 1st thought was the newest like of some rhinestone "tattoo" looking appearl,compacts,hair care products & I think Perfum as well! I've seen them in the "Fancy" department store ads! I want to say the guys name Is Barry or Harry or something to that effect!two very short names but really selling to the tweens,teens & twenty-somethings that are into Rock-a-billy or Psycho-billy.
[huh] WHATEVER!hahha
Is it "Ed Hardy"?

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
aww!

Amy Jeanne said:
*giggle*!

The little old lady that I buy my patterns from was saying to me "I see these on eBay for obscene amounts and they are all labeled 'Rockabilly.' Do you know what that means?"

I tell her it's a code word for anything "vintage" or, more specifically, "1950s."

Her response: "Well, it's a word they made up because I've never heard of it!" lol

I'm sure she thinks it's all ridiculous. I feel that way too looking at people who wear 1980's clothes. I laugh when I see something like an 80's Stonewashed Jean dress with cut-outs for $300, and the girl who's modeling it looks so serious and high fashion. Really??? [huh] :eusa_doh: So strange...I'm sure that's how this lady feels...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Becky said:
I'm sure she thinks it's all ridiculous. I feel that way too looking at people who wear 1980's clothes. I laugh when I see something like an 80's Stonewashed Jean dress with cut-outs for $300, and the girl who's modeling it looks so serious and high fashion. Really??? [huh] :eusa_doh: So strange...I'm sure that's how this lady feels...

Oh yea! To her, they are just "old patterns." She sells them for $1!! :eek: 80s clothes are nasty -- lol. I was there the first time around and I have one rule -- NEVER GO BACK. 80s clothing being sold as "vintage" for $500 is laughable! I might still have some at my old house. Hmmm -- maybe I should make $$$...

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
that is ok. I just saw some 90s selling as vintage. I have no idea why.:eusa_doh:
I resist but it is not fair.:mad:

I think some sellers interchange "used" with "vintage" because they think it sounds nicer to the buyer. I don't think they even associate an era of style with the item, they are just trying to avoid saying it was worn, used or otherwise someone's cast off.

Amy Jeanne...Why, oh why did I get rid of my funky graphic oversized Esprit sweaters with the matching leggings! And my hair gel and 3 inch hoops! lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
23SkidooWithYou said:
I think some sellers interchange "used" with "vintage" because they think it sounds nicer to the buyer. I don't think they even associate an era of style with the item, they are just trying to avoid saying it was worn, used or otherwise someone's cast off.

My favorite shop years ago had a big sign in the window: "SECOND HAND CLOTHES." When it got sold, the new owners put "VINTAGE CLOTHING" in the window and doubled all the prices.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
My favorite shop years ago had a big sign in the window: "SECOND HAND CLOTHES." When it got sold, the new owners put "VINTAGE CLOTHING" in the window and doubled all the prices.

Ha! In Latin America, most salable used clothing is imported from the U.S. and Europe. Latin American used clothing stores usually call themselves "American and European Clothing Shops." Sounds better, no?

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Ha! In Latin America, most salable used clothing is imported from the U.S. and Europe. Latin American used clothing stores usually call themselves "American and European Clothing Shops." Sounds better, no?

Sounds much better, haha. I dread the day that the more "adventurous" fashionable grrls in my town find my favorite flea market/clothing sources. Dread! Hopefully they're not very adventurous, lol.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
23SkidooWithYou said:
Amy Jeanne...Why, oh why did I get rid of my funky graphic oversized Esprit sweaters with the matching leggings! And my hair gel and 3 inch hoops! lol

That's funny. I worked at Esprit in the mid-80s, in the corporate offices, and the designers were constantly copying prints and other style ideas from the vintage I wore to work. Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran