Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is it ok to wear Aero FQHH in the rain?

bicktrav

New in Town
I just got my first Aero jacket--a brown FQHH half belt. It's unbelievable. A lot of people have recommended breaking it in by getting it very wet, either in the rain or otherwise. Before I got into the Aero world, I was under the impression that you were not supposed to wear leather in the rain because it will dry it out and ruin it. So just curious, what is it about Aero's FQHH that makes it an exception to that rule? Is it really ok to get it absolutely soaking?

Get 'er wet. Just don't let it hang next to a heater. If you tumble-dry it some it will be fine. The rain will make it look better and fit better. Wear it wet!
I broke mine in in three weeks of rain in Scotland, UK, and France. It's looking awesome now!

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Where did you hear not to wear leather in the rain? The cows, horses, sheep and goats never took their hides off when it rained!
Properly finished, quality leather wear will take an incredible beating and come out the other end looking better for it. If a leather gets looking dry you can always rejuvenate it with some conditioner, but you shouldn't have to do that for a very long time with a new jacket.

Brian

bicktrav

New in Town
Where did you hear not to wear leather in the rain? The cows, horses, sheep and goats never took their hides off when it rained!
Properly finished, quality leather wear will take an incredible beating and come out the other end looking better for it. If a leather gets looking dry you can always rejuvenate it with some conditioner, but you shouldn't have to do that for a very long time with a new jacket.

Brian

Not sure where I first heard it, but I was definitely under the impression that the soaking and drying could dry and crack the leather. Thrilled to hear that's not the case with my jacket. The whole reason I got it was to wear it rain or shine.

bicktrav

New in Town
Any need to dry the leather or wipe the water off after it's been wet? Or do you just throw it on the couch and let it dry naturally?

Any need to dry the leather or wipe the water off after it's been wet? Or do you just throw it on the couch and let it dry naturally?
Like I said, hang it, put in in the dryer a few mins, or wear it. You could toss it on the couch, but I wouldn't do that wet as the folds could get moldy if it sits there too long. When wet, I'd use a big, wide hanger and put it up. Or, wear until dry. Mainly, don't worry about it.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
It depends on the leather and the process that has been used for tanning. Not all leathers can stand rain very well, in particular "fine" ones don't like it. Remember, when the horses, pigs, goats, or cows wore that stuff, it wasn't leather but skin and connected to a refreshing network called bloodstream...
It is different with the Cromexel-Horsehide - or steerhide, for that matter - used for high-quality leather-jackets. The tanning-process itself lets the leather soak up so much wax that Aeroleather says on the homepage no tending is required for the first 20 or so years. To quote directly:
Aeroleather said:
Treating the Leather
This is even easier. Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035.

(c) from http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

So, make your life simple. Do not baby this jacket, wear it. I love to see how mine starts breaking in finally after nearly one year and shows some "character" now. And as long as it is not too warm, the tartan-lining being pretty warm, I wear it. That's it!

MJCR

One of the Regulars
My FQHH Barnstormer mocks the rain:

fd0ce43a.jpg

This was after a very heavy downpour... Just hung it up and let it dry naturally.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Struggled to break-in my ELC A2 (Horse) & was advised that wearing it wet would aid the process...well I ended up with a chill but a nicely fitting jacket too...result!!

Not sure where I first heard it, but I was definitely under the impression that the soaking and drying could dry and crack the leather. Thrilled to hear that's not the case with my jacket. The whole reason I got it was to wear it rain or shine.

Leather loses oils when water evaporates & the pores start to close up but this all depends on how the leather is treated & finished.
Leather shrinks some when these pores start to close up. Replacing these lost oils via a leather condition gets the pores to open back up.
All this is very true for leather sweatbands in hats & why hats shrink after you wear, sweat, & let dry off your head....
Lots of jackets have treatments that really impregnate the pores with waxes, etc. that it take many, many times of wetting & drying to effect.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
More pictures of post-downpour Aero Barnstormer! No fear of the rain here, it's five plus years old at this point and still the rain just bounces off...

f08c7818.jpg

f2c282e5.jpg

I break in my Aero jackets by wearing them in the rain and moving around to get the leather to conform to my movements and body shape. I get them soaked...past the stage where the water just beads up on the surface. I want the water to penetrate into the leather.
Let them air dry in a laundry room laying on a towel away from any artificial heat.
They break in nicely. Soften up, mold to my body, get a great patina.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Rain? Hell, like a lot of folks, I've put most of my jackets in the washing machine with a little soap to break the things in. Done this for a couple of decades and it's never done any damage. Mind you , my washing machine's a little worn out... The jacket goes soft and looks less embarrassingly new

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
There is definitely such a thing as embarrassingly new - a shiny leather leather jacket vibes quite creepy - but the way I see it you have to just tough it out and wear the thing all the time until the beast is tamed. I broke my jacket in sitting on the sofa watching tv in the evenings. The missus thought I was nuts but it sped things up a lot. Wearing it out in the rain did too and I'd recommend to do it as often as possible. No big secret to drying it either, just throw it down in a warmish room and let it dry naturally. Maybe go back and turn it over a couple of times so it doesn't stay damp in one creased up place.

Washing it in a machine with soap? No ta!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would say that a trek home in the p-ouring rain (we're talking about an unrelenting, chill-you-to-the-marrow, change-your-whole-outfit-once-home downpour) will at least get your collar looking right. :D

garzo

One of the Regulars
Yes, depending on the leather, rain shouldn't be a problem. If its the chrome-tanned Aero horsehide, you'll see the water just bead off it. Leathers that are stuffed with lots of oil and wax will be impervious to rain. It's other types of leathers you have to be careful with -- naked cowhide, for example -- used on a lot of Schott jackets -- wonderful, comfortable leather, but it immediately soaks up water instead of repelling it. It really depends on the jacket as different leathers have different attributes.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I have an old Schott in naked cowhide and I found that it did soak up water a bit. I've treated it once or twice with Obenauf's and it basically cures this, as well as making the previously beaten up hide look fantastic. it's just not necessary on a new horsehide jacket though, at least I don't reckon it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails