Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is the Stetson Whippet so prized?

surely

A-List Customer
Fredthecat said:
And just curious surely (don’t call me Shirley!): Why do you dislike Bing so much as to not own a hat model just because he may have worn one in an ad? I suppose I could feel that way about Frank…perhaps > Never did like that guys attitude.

Modern Whippet?
It's ok mr. cat just as long as you call me.:eek: did i really write that?

Many years ago when I roamed LA, I heard stories from one of his sons of what a mean father he was. That was later supported by documentaries. Sooo, I still just react that way. Probably just a lame rationalization not to compete for an expensive hat. And for the record, Crosby had a great voice, exquisite timing and subtle breathing and a relaxed style perhaps only surpassed by Bill Holiday or Peggy Lee.

surely said:
It's ok mr. cat just as long as you call me.:eek: did i really write that?

Many years ago when I roamed LA, I heard stories from one of his sons of what a mean father he was. That was later supported by documentaries. Sooo, I still just react that way. Probably just a lame rationalization not to compete for an expensive hat. And for the record, Crosby had a great voice, exquisite timing and subtle breathing and a relaxed style perhaps only surpassed by Bill Holiday or Peggy Lee.

Tell me about it. My cousin went to Belamy with Bing's sons. He saw some of the stuff first hand. The mother was no prize either though. (Can you say drunk by noon?):eek:

Viper Man

Banned
Well, even if Bing smoked bongs we're getting off track here. I am doubtful that this hat is hot because Bing wore one. Ehh, what do I know? [huh]

Hemingway Jones said:
It's a nicely styled hat, from an great American hat company when it was great, and it has a cool name, though not as cool as "Stratoliner," which also came in a really cool box.

My opinion, for what it's worth. :)

This seems much more plausible.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Why did I pay over $200 for a Whippet? Because I wanted a quality vintage fedora in those proportions and my size, and the Whippet happened to come up in the classifieds, and I happened to be the first to respond, and it happened to be right before Christmas.

Why are they so popular on ebay? Because of the name.

Think about it: internet shopping is geared to products with names and model numbers. Right now I'm shopping for a camera, and it's easy to do on the net, because I can read reviews of different cameras, pick the one I want, and search for it by model number. When I buy it, I know that it will be basically identical to the camera I read about.

Vintage hats are trickier. If someone comes here and reads about hats, and decides he wants a 1950s Stetson, he can't just type that into ebay. If he does, he might get only a few results, or he might get a lot of hats that are nothing like the one he read about.

A Whippet, on the other hand, is searchable. It's a recognizable and memorable term which, for the most part, only applies to Stetson hats with a specific stet of (popular) characteristics, such as tall crown and 2.5" bound brim. It's also a pretty sure thing that it wasn't made in the 70s (unlike an OR), which is reassuring.

And finally, I'll admit it, the fact that Johnny Depp wears one doesn't hurt, either.

Viper Man

Banned
Sorry, it didn't actually bother me that we we're off topic, I just wanted to write "Bing" and "Bong" in the same sentence.

Spellflower, I see your logic. Stetson has to be the most recognizable hat maker to the general public and having a "flagship" product makes sense. So is safe to say that if Stetson were Nike, the Whippet would be the Air Jordan? Or if Stetson were McDonald's, the Whippet would be the Big Mac?

Or would the Open Road be the Big Mac and the Whippet the Quarter Pounder?

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
I think the Whippet's just one of those hats that seems so classic because of when it was made and its dimensions. It's also got a memorable name like the Open Road and Stratoliner, so it makes it much more iconic and easy to identify than a hat that's just named by its price, not to mention it's a Stetson.

However...I just won a dusty ol' brown Whippet for under 30 bucks. So not all Whippets go for outrageous prices. It's only real faults was that it had 2 small tears on the sweatband (wonder how that happened), and I guess because it was 6 3/4. Although to be honest, I was still quite surprised it went for that little.

Here's the link

I've been wanting to get a vintage brown fedora for a while. My 3 vintage hats (so far) have all been gray, so I guess it was about time. Besides, it can accompany my 2 brown BCF experiments.

surely

A-List Customer
Viper Man said:
Sorry, it didn't actually bother me that we we're off topic, I just wanted to write "Bing" and "Bong" in the same sentence.

Spellflower, I see your logic. Stetson has to be the most recognizable hat maker to the general public and having a "flagship" product makes sense. So is safe to say that if Stetson were Nike, the Whippet would be the Air Jordan? Or if Stetson were McDonald's, the Whippet would be the Big Mac?

Or would the Open Road be the Big Mac and the Whippet the Quarter Pounder?

Hey buddy, bet you been on the bong! .;) :cool2: lol

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marcus Brody said:
I think the Whippet's just one of those hats that seems so classic because of when it was made and its dimensions. It's also got a memorable name like the Open Road and Stratoliner, so it makes it much more iconic and easy to identify than a hat that's just named by its price, not to mention it's a Stetson.

However...I just won a dusty ol' brown Whippet for under 30 bucks. So not all Whippets go for outrageous prices. It's only real faults was that it had 2 small tears on the sweatband (wonder how that happened), and I guess because it was 6 3/4. Although to be honest, I was still quite surprised it went for that little.

Here's the link

I've been wanting to get a vintage brown fedora for a while. My 3 vintage hats (so far) have all been gray, so I guess it was about time. Besides, it can accompany my 2 brown BCF experiments.
I seen this one too Marcus and was gonna bid on it as well....I would've had to stretch it about a size and a 1/2 though & with those 2 small tears already in the sweat....I wasn't takin' the chance. Nice grab, good luck with it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'd say that unless the seller is completely clueless (always a possibility!:rolleyes: ) it probably is a 6 3/4. The seller has a couple of other hats in larger sizes listed. I think they'd notice if the hat was significantly larger than the other two.

Regards,
Tom

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
I just got the hat, and it most definitely is a 6 3/4. I just barely fit this hat, as I appear to be somewhere between a 7 and 6 7/8. This things soft as butter and it's probably the best hat I own. The sweat's really chewed up, so I put some tape over the weak spots to prevent further tearing. It's a brown with an almost burgandy-ish tint. The only thing I don't like about the styling is the ribbon. Something about a lighter brown ribbon on a really dark brown hat doesn't feel right. It's got great dimensions too, 2 7/8 brim and a 6 inch crown (open crowned) with a 1.5 inch ribbon (about 38 or 39mm), totally classic. I'll post some pics some time.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Congratulations, Marcus!

Marcus Brody said:
I just got the hat, and it most definitely is a 6 3/4. I just barely fit this hat, as I appear to be somewhere between a 7 and 6 7/8. This things soft as butter and it's probably the best hat I own. The sweat's really chewed up, so I put some tape over the weak spots to prevent further tearing. It's a brown with an almost burgandy-ish tint. The only thing I don't like about the styling is the ribbon. Something about a lighter brown ribbon on a really dark brown hat doesn't feel right. It's got great dimensions too, 2 7/8 brim and a 6 inch crown (open crowned) with a 1.5 inch ribbon (about 38 or 39mm), totally classic. I'll post some pics some time.

Congratulations, Marcus! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You won an excellent lid at a very good price. We all envy you chaps with smaller noggins who can wear these small sizes that are so prevalent in vintage hats.

Marcus, Perhaps you might start a new thread asking for suggestions on the best technique for repairing a torn sweat. I think there are quite a few of us who would appreciate some guidance from the FL experts on how best to deal with a torn sweatband--short of a complete replacement.

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
You know, I think I'll do that, because I'm interested myself. Although I'm thinking that replacement is really the only option past taping or sewing the sweatband.

As for my head shape. It's sort of blessing and a curse at the same time. It appears I can wear anywhere from a 6 3/4 to a 7 1/8 before because I have a roundish head. But I sort of have to reshape my hats so that they are a little less ovalish to prevent my head from causing taper.

GWD

One Too Many
Whippet Box

I know there is a cool Box for the Stratoliner but did the Whippet come in a special box also? If so does anyone have a picture they could post?

Thanks

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just joined the Whippet Club!

What a great name for a hat, and just like the little gutsy dog with the kind heart that goes by that name, I can immediately see why so many folk fall in love with this little fella!!

From when he came out of the box, he exuded attitude and confidence beyond his size. With a cocky bash that demands a tilt on the head, the man who dons a Whippet is a man who takes what life throws at him without breaking stride!

I just cannot believe how much I'm taken by this fine hat. It's the strong soul and character of this tough little bugger that just makes me melt each time I glance over at it [huh] What can I say...I'm bitten and smitten by a damn fine vintage fedora! ;)

PS: Many thanks to Maincoder for this little beaut. He was a pure joy and gentleman to work with in the transition of this wee fella from one custodian to the next. These hats we protect are only house guests until they move along to their next caretaker in life.

**PHOTOS TO COME LATER**

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
I know there is a cool Box for the Stratoliner but did the Whippet come in a special box also? If so does anyone have a picture they could post?

Thanks

There was a box dedicated to the Whippet. A cool design with multiple Whippets (dogs, that is) racing around the outside of the box. I don't know how long this box was offered, but it is certainly distinctive.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24