Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Buy A Vanson?

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Regarding the old comp weight vs new, he said if you laid 25 year old CW next to the new stuff, there isn't much difference.

Reports of Vanson's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Well, maybe. I haven't actually bought any of their new stuff. Or their old stuff. I don't usually buy new jackets! Maybe I would if I knew my jacket would look like @Peter Mackin's. But my synthesis of the numerous posts on the topic of their comp weight I've come across during my time here, and some before that, is that they still make a good product. There will be a fair amount of people saying "They're okay, but their new leather is just not as good as the old comp weight", then smaller number saying the company is now complete garbage, and then inevitably someone shows up with their new Vanson jacket that still looks awesome.

Everyone has different experiences which factor into their views of the company. Some might have had a bad batch of comp weight, bad service, etc, and I don't mean to discount those experiences since they are just as valid as those who have gotten a really good jacket and only have great things to say. And I wouldn't be surprised if a greater number of "bad" batches made it through with the growing pains of trying to find a new tannery (or multiple new tanneries), which may still be an issue today. But I've not seen anything consistently warranting the idea that Vanson no longer makes good jackets.

abone

A-List Customer
This leather tag looks like what some of the current CW leather looks like......Heavily corrected big pore awful leather.
The tag is two pieces of very thin leather sewed together so doubt it’s CW but something else they use for tags. It’s certainly not what my jacket is made of.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Your hide looks like what my Hardcore was made of. Trust me, with wear it will look great.
yeah it reminds me of the Schott Per3 I just got, which I'm pretty sure is the 600 series steerhide leather (641, 618, etc.). Very top coat/painted heavy with pattern like grain. BUT, I can tell it's super soft underneath and with a good couple years of wear is going to really pop and come to life. I've got a 618 from the 70s and I don't know whether Schott has changed formulas or whatever, but if it ends up anywhere near that, will be totally happy. So I'm guessing that Vanson is going to be similar. Needs some wear, sunshine, rain, etc. and it'll get there.

Hh121

Banned
I have both examples:
Old leather (jacket is only 2 months old):
old.JPG

New leather :
new.JPG

The only thing similar between those two is the color.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reports of Vanson's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Well, maybe. I haven't actually bought any of their new stuff. Or their old stuff. I don't usually buy new jackets! Maybe I would if I knew my jacket would look like @Peter Mackin's. But my synthesis of the numerous posts on the topic of their comp weight I've come across during my time here, and some before that, is that they still make a good product. There will be a fair amount of people saying "They're okay, but their new leather is just not as good as the old comp weight", then smaller number saying the company is now complete garbage, and then inevitably someone shows up with their new Vanson jacket that still looks awesome.

Everyone has different experiences which factor into their views of the company. Some might have had a bad batch of comp weight, bad service, etc, and I don't mean to discount those experiences since they are just as valid as those who have gotten a really good jacket and only have great things to say. And I wouldn't be surprised if a greater number of "bad" batches made it through with the growing pains of trying to find a new tannery (or multiple new tanneries), which may still be an issue today. But I've not seen anything consistently warranting the idea that Vanson no longer makes good jackets.
Very well said!
I have a Chopper that is a couple years old now and made from the newer Comp weight leather. I think it is a somewhat boring hide since it hasn’t seen much wear yet but I think it will look great in time. I have owned five different jackets made of comp weight leather all from different years. Every one of them has been a little different but I like them all.

My Scooter

One of the Regulars
Why by a Vanson?
They're made in US, they're made for motorcyclists and they'll outlast you. I've had mine for years.
I have 3 Vanson and one Fox Creek jacket, one set of Vanson pants, one set of Fox Creek.
The leather in Fox Creek is much more supple, other than that they both seem to be about the same quality.

It seems this Vanson jacket "The Drifter" was made in El Salvador! This was something I picked up on a trip to Tampa, Florida two months ago.
20210424_164440[1].jpg
20210424_164617[1].jpg
20210424_164435[1].jpg
ot all Vanson jackets are made in the USA.

Have you spoken to Mike or Kim, or just the fella you mentioned earlier?
I emailed Nick and spoke to a younger lady on the phone. Part of me feels like I don’t want to push it. Another part wants the damn jacket!
I used to have a really good contact, Nicole Jarvis, but she left years ago. She handled all my repairs and took my orders. I don’t know anyone there now.

abone

A-List Customer
I emailed Nick and spoke to a younger lady on the phone. Part of me feels like I don’t want to push it. Another part wants the damn jacket!
I used to have a really good contact, Nicole Jarvis but she left years ago. She handled all my repairs and took my orders. I don’t know anyone there now.
I’ll pm you

SteveFord

A-List Customer
Now that you mention it, I recall something about imports and Vanson.

What I should have said is all three of my jackets and my one pair of pants are made in the USA and are the competition weight.
You'd probably want one of their mesh jackets for Florida?

I know what else I can add: with the gear that I have the Fox Creek liner is several steps up from the Vanson one. It's like a jacket within a jacket and has a flip up turtle neck with velcro fasteners.
Fox Creek makes nice stuff.

Coriu

One Too Many
For the deals that Branded Garments jackets typically sell for, I think one could make a case that they are the best bang for the buck out there, or at least equal to Vanson in terms of value(bang for the buck, not necessarily the best quality). I bought a beast of a cross zip in superb condition for $130 and I see them for $200 or less quite frequently. I understand they might not be on the same level of a old CW Vanson, but Vansons are often twice the cost.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For the deals that Branded Garments jackets typically sell for, I think one could make a case that they are the best bang for the buck out there, or at least equal to Vanson in terms of value(bang for the buck, not necessarily the best quality). I bought a beast of a cross zip in superb condition for $130 and I see them for $200 or less quite frequently. I understand they might not be on the same level of a old CW Vanson, but Vansons are often twice the cost.
I think that “best bang for the buck” means different things to different people and so this would probably be a fairly pointless argument to engage in. For me, if I am looking at two comparable items and one of them is better made then that is the one I will go with every time. This of course leads to the next argument of what “better” really means...
I have read a few reviews from people who are very happy with a Branded jacket they picked up. Of course I have read many more happy reviews from Vanson owners, and written a couple myself.
The thread you started about Vanson is now on page 6. I doubt a thread about Branded jackets would’ve gotten 10 replies.

Branded make very nice jackets. As do Just Leather, Fox creek, WD, etc. In my mind, all same “tier”. I really like them all.

Vanson could charge more than they do. For all the reasons stated in the thread. That they don’t really keeps the apple to orange comparison alive.

Coriu

One Too Many
I think that “best bang for the buck” means different things to different people and so this would probably be a fairly pointless argument to engage in. For me, if I am looking at two comparable items and one of them is better made then that is the one I will go with every time. This of course leads to the next argument of what “better” really means...
I have read a few reviews from people who are very happy with a Branded jacket they picked up. Of course I have read many more happy reviews from Vanson owners, and written a couple myself.
The thread you started about Vanson is now on page 6. I doubt a thread about Branded jackets would’ve gotten 10 replies.

Understood. My comment wasn't meant to stir a debate amongst the cognoscente. I tossed it out there as an FYI option for those reading the thread who may have limited funds to drop on a leather jacket at this time.

If we want to attract people to this forum and embrace inclusion, it may be helpful to remember that some reading our posts may be interested in "our world" and wish to participate, but with financial constraints. Some people on here talk about $500+ jackets like they are buying a t-shirt. "Buying the best" is not always an option for some.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112