Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Buy A Vanson?

Coriu

One Too Many
Vanson, and others, can be had for $250 or less. Just gotta be an eBay, Etsy, whatever Ranger.
Wow...you are much better than I. I watch ebay and over the past 6 months have not found a single Vanson in a larger size that would fit me(nothing even close), while finding a number of other brands. Likely speaks to the quality of older Vanson's and people holding onto them.

Coriu

One Too Many
Branded make very nice jackets. As do Just Leather, Fox creek, WD, etc. In my mind, all same “tier”. I really like them all.

Vanson could charge more than they do. For all the reasons stated in the thread. That they don’t really keeps the apple to orange comparison alive.
I've thought about this, and wonder if others have as well. If they upped their prices, Vanson would be in the ball park of Schott and have to go head-to-head with them. I would think that would be a tough place to be. I think a certain percentage of the population, if given the option of paying the same for a Schott or a Vanson, would choose the Schott just based upon brand appeal.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Not sure why Vanson uses some very iffy oddball tanneries where it’s a one man operation or their on the brink of closing down for one reason or another. Horween has all the hides they need and there not likely to be going out of business any time soon .

I must be. And I don’t think Vanson and Schott have the same targeted audience. Some overlap here and there, but IMO one is more fashion, the other more equipment. Of course, if people don’t do their due diligence before purchasing a riding jacket or intend to have a leather jacket just to go to dinner, the Schott name wins out.

Like I said, I really like Branded. Very nice jackets. Better than most Schott on the bike too. Though some Schott are excellent on bike, at least a few folks here state that, and I believe them.

Not sure why Vanson uses some very iffy oddball tanneries where it’s a one man operation or their on the brink of closing down for one reason or another. Horween has all the hides they need and there not likely to be going out of business any time soon .

Seems like the perfect match right?

Coriu

One Too Many
I must be. And I don’t think Vanson and Schott have the same targeted audience. Some overlap here and there, but IMO one is more fashion, the other more equipment. Of course, if people don’t do their due diligence before purchasing a riding jacket or intend to have a leather jacket just to go to dinner, the Schott name wins out.

Like I said, I really like Branded. Very nice jackets. Better than most Schott on the bike too. Though some Schott are excellent on bike, at least a few folks here state that, and I believe them.

Bold above...that is exactly that "percentage of the population I was referring to." One would think that younger people would blow us dinosaurs away from a due diligence/research standpoint, but that has not been my experience. I cannot tell you how many times I have discussed some sort of purchase with a young adult and they were clueless about their options.

abone

A-List Customer
Seems like the perfect match right?

When I spoke to Mike yesterday he spoke about Horween. I wish I had wrote down his comments because I can't remember the details other than leaving me with the impression he won't be using them as a supplier directly. He also went into a long and detailed explanation of the horsehide industry in general.
I'd encourage anyone interested in Vanson to call on a Sat morning and see if you can catch Mike. He's a talkative fella.

Using Horween would likely and necessarily push Vanson into a higher price bracket. I am not convinced it’s the best hide for M/C use. At least not CXL, which will stiffen like the tin man on a cold day. I abandoned both Lost Worlds and Aero for Vanson when I rode. For me it wasn’t even a comparison. The Vanson moved with me and not against me and that’s all I needed to know. As durable as CXL may be I think it’s not the best choice for a true M/C jacket and I say this as one of the biggest CXL fans on the planet.
Would I love to see a fleet of Vansons in CXL? Hell yeah. And I would buy a shit ton. I don’t suspect the hide would carry over to the race suit and sport rider set to well. And that’s probably why we won’t see it.
That said there is an entire catalog of Horween leathers. But I still think it’s too boutique.

Using Horween would likely and necessarily push Vanson into a higher price bracket. I am not convinced it’s the best hide for M/C use. At least not CXL, which will stiffen like the tin man on a cold day. I abandoned both Lost Worlds and Aero for Vanson when I rode. For me it wasn’t even a comparison. The Vanson moved with me and not against me and that’s all I needed to know. As durable as CXL may be I think it’s not the best choice for a true M/C jacket and I say this as one of the biggest CXL fans on the planet.
Would I love to see a fleet of Vansons in CXL? Hell yeah. And I would buy a shit ton. I don’t suspect the hide would carry over to the race suit and sport rider set to well. And that’s probably why we won’t see it.
That said there is an entire catalog of Horween leathers. But I still think it’s too boutique.

Good point, the CXL is not the best for track gear, or even their MC-driven stuff. The current CW still works for that I bet. But they do seem to be going a bit more boutique in their leather offerings lately.

And I would be piling up the Horween Vanson right alongside you.

abone

A-List Customer
I'm still intrigued by his statement Vanson have a lot of different leathers available they don't advertise on their website. They'll mail swatches but I find that almost as difficult as looking at paint chips.

Hh121

Banned
just buy the hide from Horween and send it to Vanson, how hard is that? They will accept the leather no thicker than 5 oz.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I would hunt the classifieds and eBay. I’m pretty much done with new jackets.
I'm there too. There's more and more jackets sitting on classifieds at what I thought were crazy good prices. Thedis almost half off from new price and don't get action. Either our buying pool over here has reached max or maybe as we're shifting gears to warmer weather or overall economy or combination and other stuff I'm not thinking about. Unless you have a very unique physique or trying to accomplish something special or just having fun or of course hunting down some grail type item, I don't see any reason to buy new anymore for a "typical" jacket, i.e. off the rack, commonly available. It takes a little effort to find which manufacturers' size 42 fits you best or the sweet spot between leather variations/price point/availability, etc. but worth it. I'm seeing brand new Aeros take a 40% hit. Thedi is at or even below 50%. Schott as we all know gets crushed. I've seen practically new at 60%+ THere's been a couple Himmel Bros I've seen on Ebay auction go for just at or maybe even under $1000.

I will say the Japanese stuff does hold pretty good value, but it's still a steep drop to pay $2500 and then see stuff on here going for $1800.

Coriu

One Too Many
I'm there too. There's more and more jackets sitting on classifieds at what I thought were crazy good prices.

Of all of the clothes items out there, leather jackets just seemed like a no-brainer to buy used. As a larger individual tough to fit, I could have easily rationalized buying new, but normally haven't. It all comes down to patience and persistence, as JMax suggests.

If folks out there are not aware, Generation Z is very into thrifting. This could really play into the future success/failure of the lines we love. If you are interested, here is an article.
https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/10/10014753/thrifting-gen-z-thrift-shopping-trend

Between Gen Z's habits, the number of great used jackets available on-line, increasing negativity about leather, and a challenged supply chain for the industry, we could see a steady decline in demand for higher-end, new jackets in the future.

Hh121

Banned
It would be helpful if you posted the series #’s from both jackets
new
new.jpg

old
old.jpg

Hh121

Banned
Thanks, but I realize now the Vanson #’s don’t really tell much without historical sequencing.
Mine is a TB # which I know now is a different sequence altogether.
Do you like your Enfield?
How
The old one is Model B, New one is enfield which I return it because the horrible leather and construction.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Good point, the CXL is not the best for track gear, or even their MC-driven stuff. The current CW still works for that I bet. But they do seem to be going a bit more boutique in their leather offerings lately.

And I would be piling up the Horween Vanson right alongside you.

Agreed, I can't imagine a form fitting CXL being comfortable to ride, especially if the pattern isn't cut perfectly for you. The tin man effect with CXL is real, and if I didn't like the damn texture and smell of it so much, I'd probably would've given up on it, but I hear I sit with a CXL aroma on me and I just love it. But sometimes I think I should start tracking how many times I bend my arms or raise my shoulders, and start counting them like reps and then sets, because it can turn into a workout as I try to break it in.

Man, all this talk about Vansons, I'd love to own one.

Coriu

One Too Many
There's another limiting factor(in terms of finding one) with used Vansons...labels. I don't like labels visible, even on riding jackets. I have come across some cool jackets with "Vanson" plastered on them and passed. I guess if I was buying a jacket strictly for collecting purposes it wouldn't matter, but I wear all of my jackets..or at least try to:)
This is another aspect of their gear that can give one the impression that Vansons are biker jackets...which they are, but as we have said, they have a lot to offer for the non-rider.
Here's an example..lovely jacket, but I think the patches really detract. Seems like they could have at least come up with a design that was much more subtle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294132100165?hash=item447ba3ac45:g:DzgAAOSwc~Rga4O1

Last edited:
Only a handful of Vanson's strictly motorcycle styles have branding. Like the jacket you've posted. Literally 90% of their jackets don't have anything of the sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana