Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Buy A Vanson?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Vanson's seams are not thinned down, they are stubbornly thick. It takes some water treatments to shape them. Like Aero.

The multi panel backs doesn't look as nice and clean as one piece backs. But for some reasons I find them action fit better.

Any one knows if they will bring back the Octagon leather? I got a no last time I phoned. Maybe it has changed. Just checking.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Vanson's seams are not thinned down, they are stubbornly thick. It takes some water treatments to shape them. Like Aero.

The multi panel backs doesn't look as nice and clean as one piece backs. But for some reasons I find them action fit better.

Any one knows if they will bring back the Octagon leather? I got a no last time I phoned. Maybe it has changed. Just checking.
I don't think they can source octagon any longer due to the tannery that produced it no longer existing.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Just do it! :)

s-l400-39.jpg

MattyM

New in Town
Take time to actually visit Vanson. Everything on the rack, I mean EVERYTHING is designed off the matrix of someone short and wide, and if you're more on the long and thin side and ask about how "...this is a motorcycle jacket, right, shouldn't the sleeves be longer" they'll just tell you "It's $40 more for 1" in the sleeves...(that was 2002, gotta be more these days). I mean look, I can wrap this thing around me one and a half times, but. thanks for all that "free" extra leather in the width. People don't wear their trousers/slacks/dungarees/pants up to their ribs any more, and the length of jackets needs to be cut accordingly.
Here's a novel idea, leave the sleeves unfinished, like your pants, so everyone get's fitted properly. Oh, when it's all said and done, get ready for......LUXURY tax, because your jacket isn't a "tool" like it is for the police, who are not charged that tax. And actually no one pays that tax in Massachusetts for a business suit that cost more than a vanson jacket.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Take time to actually visit Vanson. Everything on the rack, I mean EVERYTHING is designed off the matrix of someone short and wide, and if you're more on the long and thin side and ask about how "...this is a motorcycle jacket, right, shouldn't the sleeves be longer" they'll just tell you "It's $40 more for 1" in the sleeves...(that was 2002, gotta be more these days). I mean look, I can wrap this thing around me one and a half times, but. thanks for all that "free" extra leather in the width. People don't wear their trousers/slacks/dungarees/pants up to their ribs any more, and the length of jackets needs to be cut accordingly.
Here's a novel idea, leave the sleeves unfinished, like your pants, so everyone get's fitted properly. Oh, when it's all said and done, get ready for......LUXURY tax, because your jacket isn't a "tool" like it is for the police, who are not charged that tax. And actually no one pays that tax in Massachusetts for a business suit that cost more than a vanson jacket.

When I visited the Vanson showroom, Kim explained the weird luxury tax for apparel. Basically anything over $175 dollars you will pay taxes on the amount above $175. Very confusing!

Here is an excerpt of the MA Gov. website: https://www.mass.gov/guides/sales-and-use-tax#-apparel-&-fabric-goods-

Overview​

Clothing is generally exempt from the sales tax. However, any individual clothing item that costs more than $175 is taxable on the amount it goes over $175. Thus, the tax on a $200 suit would be $1.56 (which is 6.25% of the taxable $25 difference). If buying multiple items, any sales tax is charged only on individual items over $175, no matter what the total bill is.
While apparel designed solely for athletic or protective use is taxable, items that are also suitable for everyday use are exempt.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I'm painfully aware, Carlos. It was really cool to be built like the hulk when younger, but not so much now. I've got a bunch that fit me reasonably well...Schotts, Aero's(their size 48 fits me), Branded, Hein Gericke, Natel, etc. For some reason, at least on ebay, unbranded, large Vansons have eluded me.

There are tons of used, high-end dress shirts in big sizes on ebay. There are lots of big guys out there(over 40% of American males weigh more than 200 pounds), but they probably gave up trying to find a leather jacket because they couldn't find one and/or couldn't afford custom. Certain industries have a hang-up about making bigger sizes. I get it with leather jackets, but I have fits finding higher-end, relaxed fit t-shirts. Everyone wears t-shirts, so I can't see the argument for inadequate demand to justify making larger sizes.
Tons of 50, 52 and even 54 Vansons flooding ebay now. Someone sold some huge old inventory somewhere, and it's hit the 'bay.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Just saw this article. Could be interesting for those wanting to know a bit more about Vanson…

https://www.vansonleathers.com/pdf/Fleming-Vanson-Leather-Factory-RRW-article-06-2022.pdf

i like the bit about them using tough materials and sorting out the comfort issue that brings via their tailoringl Very true imo! Vanson make great patterns that really work for riding and movement even with the thick leather they use.

interesting also to see they are trying to bring the leather processing/finishing side more in house.. Given various discussions here about whether vanson’s legendary competition hide is as good as it used to be, it’s clear they are trying to take more control of leather quality as the pool of USA tanneries gets ever smaller…

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
So I tried to turn current CW into scrotum CW. Nothing. This stuff is built to last.
F7212433-1D79-4CFA-916A-48C4316DD756.jpeg

0EA809AC-52A9-4C3E-A09E-BE9E37D2C55D.jpeg

I did some circular brushing for about half hour just in that one spot by the ticket pocket.
Maybe I need reinforcement. Will sleep on this and maybe try different things tomorrow.
It definitely didn’t play out like I’d pictured in my head. Haha. I’d hoped the saddle soap would help to pull all that waterproof polymer out of the fibers and in doing so unveil the natural scrotum grain. And maybe shed half a pound afterwards.
But it pretty much stayed the same.
To be continued…

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
So I tried to turn current CW into scrotum CW. Nothing. This stuff is built to last.
View attachment 444318
View attachment 444319
I did some circular brushing for about half hour just in that one spot by the ticket pocket.
Maybe I need reinforcement. Will sleep on this and maybe try different things tomorrow.
It definitely didn’t play out like I’d pictured in my head. Haha. I’d hoped the saddle soap would help to pull all that waterproof polymer out of the fibers and in doing so unveil the natural scrotum grain. And maybe shed half a pound afterwards.
But it pretty much stayed the same.
To be continued…

I’d throw it in the dryer with a coupe of tennis balls on a cold cycle if you want to bring out more grain.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Already posted in WJAWT-thread but though I’d post these here as well.

Vintage Vanson C2. CW leather. Others have already noted that their patterns are superb in terms of comfort and movement and I can only agree.

0B0AF248-1B24-46CC-B647-FC394AF6974A.jpeg

4489DA93-9E3F-4F39-86F7-87FD22CA0126.jpeg

685C6A4B-9E3E-4686-B5ED-6889564D5131.jpeg

01EDCAD1-E050-445E-A920-2A08FB213980.jpeg

4CCB112D-72C9-4FB2-9E02-7440835182F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 247F9AE9-9614-4C42-A2B9-5FA63A7E7587.jpeg
    247F9AE9-9614-4C42-A2B9-5FA63A7E7587.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many

Bigbawz

New in Town
Same photos in different threads? Seems OK and logical to me but I have read in other threads that that is a forum NoNo ?
Apparently the guy who started the jacket restoration thread got bumped off the forum for that ? Overuse of forum resources apparently ?
That's what was replied in the "Has anyone seen---" thread by I think a moderator ? Anyhow good photos of your Vanson cross zip.

Al 916

One Too Many
Same photos in different threads? Seems OK and logical to me but I have read in other threads that that is a forum NoNo ?
Apparently the guy who started the jacket restoration thread got bumped off the forum for that ? Overuse of forum resources apparently ?
That's what was replied in the "Has anyone seen---" thread by I think a moderator ? Anyhow good photos of your Vanson cross zip.

The jacket and the pics are relevant to both threads, I don't think you need to worry about @torfjord being banned.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I have seen two size 52 jackets in close to 10 years of doing this...
It's not that these jackets don't show up often on eBay, its the fact that very few people are a size 52 to start with that's the problem...
There's an ebayer selling 15-20 50-54 Vansons right now...clearly bought out a vendor or was one.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Same photos in different threads is totally fine. Nobody ever got bumped off the forum for posting too many photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot