Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why the button?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, navarre!

That's called a wind trolley or wind string. You can unwind the string, put the button through the buttonhole on the lapel, and keep your hat from blowing away (assuming I understand these things correctly).

High Pockets

Practically Family
That would be correct,.....I think they look cool! Not in your lapel, but on the hat! :D

One day on a typical windy day here in Oklahoma a woman asked me;
"How do you keep your hat from blowing off your head around here?"

I simply replied;
"I buy them to fit my head.":D

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
High Pockets said:
"I buy them to fit my head.":D

That's right, you are! And I might add that a leather sweatband is SO much better than a textile one... leather sweatbands "hold" the hat as if the leather in some way "sticks" to the forehead (in fact, I bet it does). The non-flying hat is an important matter... I been known to run after the SAME hat in Mexico City as well as in Antwerp: nothing worse for one's ego than to be seen running (zigzaggingly) after a rollin' tollin' hat...we all seen that in old movies.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've never noticed this before.

Does anyone have pictures? How prevalent are these buttons and ribbons/wind trolleys?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
October2009001.jpg

Edward

Bartender
They're a thing I wish was more common.... wish Akubra did it as an option on the Fed. While yes, in use they do look kinda dorky, that's much less dorky than having ah at blow off on you and having to chase it! Course, somedays are so windy, the only answer is:

Newsboy+cap.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think they're like shoulder flaps on a trench coat. They were once strictly functional (the straps on the trench coat being made to hold rank insignia) but are now vestigial and merely decorative.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
I think they're like shoulder flaps on a trench coat. They were once strictly functional (the straps on the trench coat being made to hold rank insignia) but are now vestigial and merely decorative.
However trench coat shoulder straps can be used for other purposes too like attatching a bag strap. I've done this with my map case before when walking as it means I don't have to worry about it disappearing down a mountain if there's wind. While unconventional this can be useful. Likewise, I think the wind trolley should be used in weather where one would otherwise have to walk around holding onto one's hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot