Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

Is that chart correct? The lowest unemployment was in 1987, at just under 8%! And people are whining about 6%.

It isn't really 6% now though. They compute the unemployment rate now without including the chronically unemployed----those unemployed over 2 years drop off the stats. There are a few other differences as well.
The unemployment rate in the 70s was largely double digit as well.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Was looking through some old pictures, and I found these pictures of my house in its original 1970's condition. Figured I would post them for you to abhorrence!
70s 2.jpg 70s 3.jpg 70's 1.jpg 70s 4.jpg

Lx74Xok.jpg z8kz1QD.jpg NJjXzFk.jpg

Not quite sure if you're referring to one of my dogs, or making a pun about a baby me. :p
Baby you.

The weenie dog is pretty fun, though.

It's really not a bad house.....faux Moroccan tile notwithstanding. A lot of 70s basic home designs were holdovers from the 50s.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
We had a huge car culture in the early 80's...cruising was big...sitting on the hoods of our cars at Wilson Park talking about girls and cars...racing them out behind the airport. There may have been something wrong with us, however.
What my friends and I (all in their late teens/early 20s when AG came out) got about Lucas's film is that we'd all known people in school like the characters. We'd all known the hood who wasn't that bad when nobody else was around, the chunky fellow in short-sleeved shirts who got middling grades, the gum-chewing blonde, the cool guy that everybody wanted to be like, the goofy-looking guy who was the butt of all the jokes, and so on.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I recently came across a stack of American Home magazines from 1962-63 at the local dump -- which was a good place for them, because the home fashions they were promoting were just eye-blisteringly ugly. That was where the dark-fake-wood paneling got its start, the heavy, pukey-colored carpeting, and worst of all the pseudo-Early American gimcrack ornamentation in all its phony-bronzed glory. The rooms shown were dark, gloomy, pretentious, and monumentally insincere.

People like to think of the early sixties as all space-age Danish Modern, but in fact what the Boys From Marketing were pushing laid all the groundwork for the monumental ugliness of the seventies.

I recently came across a stack of American Home magazines from 1962-63 at the local dump -- which was a good place for them, because the home fashions they were promoting were just eye-blisteringly ugly. That was where the dark-fake-wood paneling got its start, the heavy, pukey-colored carpeting, and worst of all the pseudo-Early American gimcrack ornamentation in all its phony-bronzed glory. The rooms shown were dark, gloomy, pretentious, and monumentally insincere.

People like to think of the early sixties as all space-age Danish Modern, but in fact what the Boys From Marketing were pushing laid all the groundwork for the monumental ugliness of the seventies.

Well it had to start somewhere. A lot of junk like that started in the 60s. :doh:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
O

It went back a bit further than that, I think. The horror that was "Early American Maple" , a bizarre hybrid of eighteenth century vernacular furniture, mass production, and cheap hardwood. It began in the late 1930's as a craft movement, promoted in Appalachia and Upstate New York as a way for inexperienced wood-workers to make commercially acceptable furniture, but soon got out of hand, and led to the most excreable kitsch (think of maple rockers covered in ruffled " patchwork quilt " cretonne) and the "Guild Grafonola":

Guild_Grafonola_785_(1959)_Toppo.jpg

an abomination which would not be at all out of place in this room:

7267c127dcb89812702a6c2264a1d456.jpg

Last edited:
O

It went back a bit further than that, I think. The horror that was "Early American Maple" , a bizarre hybrid of eighteenth century vernacular furniture, mass production, and cheap hardwood. It began in the late 1930's as a craft movement, promoted in Appalachia and Upstate New York as a way for inexperienced wood-workers to make commercially acceptable furniture, but soon got out of hand, and led to the most excreable kitsch (think of maple rockers covered in ruffled " patchwork quilt " cretonne) and the "Guild Grafonola":

View attachment 23630

an abomination which would not be at all out of place in this room:

View attachment 23629

Red carpet?! :faint:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany