Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

My grandmother had a room full of furniture like that in the 70s. It was all bought new in the 50s.

She even had a fairly large rooster shaped gelatin mold hanging on the wall of the kitchen, although she would occasionally take it down to make colorful fruit filled jell-o presentations.

Last edited:
What my friends and I (all in their late teens/early 20s when AG came out) got about Lucas's film is that we'd all known people in school like the characters. We'd all known the hood who wasn't that bad when nobody else was around, the chunky fellow in short-sleeved shirts who got middling grades, the gum-chewing blonde, the cool guy that everybody wanted to be like, the goofy-looking guy who was the butt of all the jokes, and so on.
My friends and I had the same experience seeing Dazed and Confused (1993)--we knew every one of those characters. Though the movie is set in Texas, if you want to know what it was like to attend high school in southern California in 1976, this is the movie to watch. It's no wonder I hated it (high school, not the movie) and have maintained very few friendships from those days.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
High school has always featured that particular cast of charcters. Have a look at a run of "Harold Teen" comic strips from the twenties -- all the old favorite teen stereotypes were there in person. They were even wearing ridiculous-looking pants. They were all there again in slightly different ridiculous pants when Skeezix of "Gasoline Alley" went to high school in the thirties. You can trace them all down thru "Archie" in the forties, "Our Miss Brooks" in the fifties, and so on down into the sixties. seventies, and eighties. Every generation feels like they were unique to their era, but they were always the same thing in different clothes.

What would be really revolutionary is a teen comedy in which none of the characters fit any of those stereotypes. Let's see someone make a teen movie about the kids who are involved in the truly cool activities -- yearbook club and the school paper.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
To be fair the seventies weren't all bad. We still had stars like Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, Charlie Pride and Lucille Ball.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to get into arguments with kids at school about Bob Hope. They couldn't understand why anybody thought he was funny, because all they knew him from was his corny TV specials. I kept arguing they needed to see his movies to understand -- which wasn't hard to do at the time, one of the local stations had the pre-1948 Paramount film package, and Hope movies were often shown. You couldn't understand why Hope was still on TV in the '70s until you saw them.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My friends and I had the same experience seeing Dazed and Confused (1993)--we knew every one of those characters. Though the movie is set in Texas, if you want to know what it was like to attend high school in southern California in 1976, this is the movie to watch. It's no wonder I hated it (high school, not the movie) and have maintained very few friendships from those days.

The Breakfast Club (1985) for that decade.

Edward

Bartender
High school has always featured that particular cast of charcters. Have a look at a run of "Harold Teen" comic strips from the twenties -- all the old favorite teen stereotypes were there in person. They were even wearing ridiculous-looking pants. They were all there again in slightly different ridiculous pants when Skeezix of "Gasoline Alley" went to high school in the thirties. You can trace them all down thru "Archie" in the forties, "Our Miss Brooks" in the fifties, and so on down into the sixties. seventies, and eighties. Every generation feels like they were unique to their era, but they were always the same thing in different clothes.

What would be really revolutionary is a teen comedy in which none of the characters fit any of those stereotypes. Let's see someone make a teen movie about the kids who are involved in the truly cool activities -- yearbook club and the school paper.

Oui, bien sur: plus la change, plus la meme chose.

There was, in the eighties, a kid's TV show in the UK called Press Gang, about a group of kids who edited and ran a youth newspaper. Dealt with a lot of teen ishoos of the day, like glue sniffing, anorexia, bullying, and such. Still had the geeks, the clown, the lover, the fighter, the jock.... all working on a school paper. Still.... aren't there really only twelve stories or so, that get retold in different ays for each new generation?

LizzieMaine

Bartender

There was, in the eighties, a kid's TV show in the UK called Press Gang, about a group of kids who edited and ran a youth newspaper. Dealt with a lot of teen ishoos of the day, like glue sniffing, anorexia, bullying, and such. Still had the geeks, the clown, the lover, the fighter, the jock.... all working on a school paper. Still.... aren't there really only twelve stories or so, that get retold in different ays for each new generation?

Rubber cement -- the hidden curse of the press club.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

In a similar vein, we had "Head of the Class" (late 80's) in the US. The kids were all academically gifted types, but there was a range of characters: the nerd, the Bohemian intellectual, the grade obsessed neurotic, etc. I enjoyed it because it didn't rely on slackers for cheap laughs (That 70's Show, Welcome Back Kotter) and a lot of the smart kid stereotypes were challenged.

In a similar vein, we had "Head of the Class" (late 80's) in the US. The kids were all academically gifted types, but there was a range of characters: the nerd, the Bohemian intellectual, the grade obsessed neurotic, etc. I enjoyed it because it didn't rely on slackers for cheap laughs (That 70's Show, Welcome Back Kotter) and a lot of the smart kid stereotypes were challenged.

Saved By The Bell was the same show, only not academically gifted.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You'll find similar stereotypes in vaudeville a hundred years ago. The Marx Brothers did an act called "Fun In Hi Skule" which, with a bit of ethnic tweaking, would seem extremely familiar to modern audiences. The main difference was the presence of a country-hick stereotype, much more relevant a hundred years ago than today. But you could easily change his jokes to fit a nerdy white kid trying to act "fly."

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
All right I give, the 70s were tacky! [video=youtube;Orxqjw3o9cw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orxqjw3o9cw[/video]

Like I said before, one of the few good things about the '70s was country music which had reached its apogee during that time. But sadly, it degenerated into "country-pop" and now "bro country." :doh:

[video=youtube;ACyhlR-IfGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACyhlR-IfGo[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes