Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

Lets see, he has a beard and is wearing bright frilly cloths and a funny hat, must be one of your Hippie neighbors!

His beard is neat and trimmed. Hippie beards look like bird nests. His clothing was de rigeur for the time period. MEN wore that clothing not namby pambies. At the age he was portrayed there, he would tear your arm off and beat you to death with it if you called him a hippie. :rofl: He was one of the original badasses until he got all screwed up.

Howdy Neighbor !

30av1nm.png

Hippie Claus visits all the communes on Christmas night and fills dirty beards with patchouli oil, dope and welfare checks. Peace, Love, Dope Man.:p

...His clothing was de rigeur for the time period. RICH MEN wore that clothing not namby pambies...
Fixed that for ya'. :D Peasants of his day wore much less elaborate clothing, and were probably a lot more comfortable in them.

...At the age he was portrayed there, he would tear your arm off and beat you to death with it if you called him a hippie...
Considering the word "hippie" dates back only to the early 1900s, his reaction would probably be to ask, "What is this 'hippie' of which you speak?" :p

Fixed that for ya'. :D Peasants of his day wore much less elaborate clothing, and were probably a lot more comfortable in them.

Considering the word "hippie" dates back only to the early 1900s, his reaction would probably be to ask, "What is this 'hippie' of which you speak?" :p

Peasants still looked better than hippies and smelled better.

You would tell him what a hippie is and THEN he would tear off your arm and beat you to death with it. :p

Peasants still looked better than hippies and smelled better...
I don't know about that. With the ragged clothing and lack of what we consider to be proper personal hygiene, they'd probably look at each other and call it a draw. [huh]

...You would tell him what a hippie is and THEN he would tear off your arm and beat you to death with it.
To him, a description of a hippie wouldn't be too different from that of a peasant, so he'd probably just ignore them in the same way he ignored the peasants of his day. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
His beard is neat and trimmed. Hippie beards look like bird nests. His clothing was de rigeur for the time period. MEN wore that clothing not namby pambies. At the age he was portrayed there, he would tear your arm off and beat you to death with it if you called him a hippie. :rofl: He was one of the original badasses until he got all screwed up.

Actually, you got that backwards! If you called Henry Midevil, he would have disemboweled you. "Henry VIII is often described as a true Renaissance Man. He was athletic, good looking, intelligent, and educated. He was also an accomplished musician and both played instruments and wrote his own songs. He spoke many languages fluently and loved to read and study. Henry loved art and culture bringing many of the top artists, writers, and philosophers from mainland Europe to his court." [video=youtube;vWjuaQxFjkg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjuaQxFjkg[/video]

Edward

Bartender
Perhaps we might see a revival of the codpiece. :p

541503-be3b5448-408f-11e3-8308-a963aeaf7bd4.jpg

Well, Alex and his Droogs were loosely based on the Mods. Maybe if Mod had stayed true to its roots, this is the sort of thing they'd be wearing now. Instead, rather ironically, the 'Modernists' became Sixties-Revivalists.... (even more ironic when you consider that their tribal enemy, the Rockers, were in part snered at by the Mods because the former were still fifties rock and roll revivalists in the mid Sixties....).

Actually, you got that backwards! If you called Henry Midevil, he would have disemboweled you. "Henry VIII is often described as a true Renaissance Man. He was athletic, good looking, intelligent, and educated. He was also an accomplished musician and both played instruments and wrote his own songs. He spoke many languages fluently and loved to read and study. Henry loved art and culture bringing many of the top artists, writers, and philosophers from mainland Europe to his court." [video=youtube;vWjuaQxFjkg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjuaQxFjkg[/video]

That was all well and good for Henry when he was healthy. After his debilitating fall from his horse and a treacherous wife---that changed him forever into a Corpulent Medieval Monster. You got the wrong guy if you think he wasn’t nuts after 1536. He would kill you for looking at him wrong much less calling him a hippie if he understood the word or not. Lol lol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5169512/The-year-that-changed-Henry-VIII.html

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That was all well and good for Henry when he was healthy. After his debilitating fall from his horse and a treacherous wife---that changed him forever into a Corpulent Medieval Monster. You got the wrong guy if you think he wasn’t nuts after 1536. He would kill you for looking at him wrong much less calling him a hippie if he understood the word or not. Lol lol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5169512/The-year-that-changed-Henry-VIII.html

Speaking of foul odors! It was said that Henry's ulcerated leg was so putrid it was almost imposable to stay in the same room with him! Hmm, maybe he was an early Hippie, he did play the Lute after all. :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There was no such thing as "under employed" back then, you either had a job, or you were unemployed! If you complained to your boss about being under employed, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

There were no participation trophy's. Second place was the first looser!
I still believe this is why the generations who grew up with this "There are no losers; everybody is a winner" rubbish are so screwed up. First, if you reward youngsters for mediocrity as well as for actual accomplishments they have no way to determine their strengths and weaknesses, so they grow older believing they're good at everything. Second, it teaches those who perform poorly that they don't have to try harder to receive the same rewards as those who perform well. Third, it teaches those who perform well that their extra efforts were for nothing because the dullard standing next to them received an equal reward for a lesser performance. :tsk:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There was no such thing as "under employed" back then, you either had a job, or you were unemployed! If you complained to your boss about being under employed, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Actually, underemployment was a very big issue in the '70s and on into the '80s. There were a lot of people working part time who wanted full time work and the jobs just weren't there. I spent a good three years after getting out of school trying to find *any kind of* full time work, but with a 25 percent local unemployment rate I was screwed. My first job after graduation was sorting empty soda bottles in a leaky shed behind a grocery store, up to my ankles in stagnant water, stale beer, and flies. If I was lucky I got 20 hours a week at $3.35 an hour. I considered that pretty damn "underemployed."

My mother started the seventies working fifteen hours a week as a cook in a nursing home, and we had to go on welfare because she couldn't get anything better than that. Underemployment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner