Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why?

I don’t get dressing ip like someone else, but there are loads of folks who enjoy it and I don’t see any harm. Whether it’s informal or actual cosplay: to each their own.

There is a reason every year billions are spent on advertising. We are all susceptible to the desire of o be more like others we see. I don’t understand the desire to want “the exact hat” etc. rather than just the look, but it works for some people and I’m cool with that.

Probably for the same reason Fender (and Gibson/Epiphone, etc, etc, etc) sell a whole line of 'Signature' instruments. Everybody has to draw inspiration from somewhere. The celebrity endorsement, implicit or no, seems to carry a lot of cache.

The recent (last decade or so) explosion of interest in cosplay, I think can largely be attributed to the internet. But emulating TV and movie stars in and of itself is not particularly new.

Yep, I had a Boog Powell Signature first basemen's glove in the 60's.

Full disclosure: In the early 1970's I had an off white (winter white!) suit (ala John Travolta) that I would wear to the disco. Couldn't dance like him but I could, sort of, resemble him!

Full disclosure: In the early 1970's I had an off white (winter white!) suit (ala John Travolta) that I would wear to the disco. Couldn't dance like him but I could, sort of, resemble him!
I could not/would not do WHITE......but my three piece was tan.....and I had those damn high heal shoes too.....(I think 2 1/2 inches.....taller than the heal on my underslung riding boots....which was about 2".:oops:
:rolleyes:

I could not/would not do WHITE......but my three piece was tan.....and I had those damn high heal shoes too.....(I think 2 1/2 inches.....taller than the heal on my underslung riding boots....which was about 2".:oops:
Yep, had them heals too!!! My suit was not true white (I wore it after Labour Day!!) an off white but not quite a tan.

Edward

Bartender

Back in my more active Rocky Horror days my heels were five inches. Which was easier when I became a Frank'n'Furter and could wear the chunky ones for eight hours at a time.... when I started out as a Brad, I could do fifteen minutes in those stilletoes, tops. Much of which involved elegantly falling from one support to another, hopefully not hitting the floor in between! More recent years have seen me switch to Doctor Scott; the wheelchair is an awful lot easier a perch for those heels....

Edward

Bartender
Probably for the same reason Fender (and Gibson/Epiphone, etc, etc, etc) sell a whole line of 'Signature' instruments. Everybody has to draw inspiration from somewhere. The celebrity endorsement, implicit or no, seems to carry a lot of cache.

The recent (last decade or so) explosion of interest in cosplay, I think can largely be attributed to the internet. But emulating TV and movie stars in and of itself is not particularly new.

The guitar market is a funny one, for sure. Styles itself as a wildman, rock and roll freedom thing, then rigidly conforms to accepted designs and mocks anything that steps away from them - often while, completely devoid of self-awareness, complaining that "noone has done anything new for fifty odd years".

I think a lot about celebrity endorsement is about seeking something that's "approved" - in the same way as, for much of the contemporary fashion market, a large brand logo serves as a stamp of approval, making the item as 'safe' choice. Women undoubtedly have it a lot worse than men, though often in a different way. With women, the pressure is to stand out but in an acceptable way. Men seem - at least in my generation - much more prone to peer pressure to "fit in", be the same, not take risks.... Subcultures like ours veer away from that (albeit that they can develop their own conformist centre of gravity), though often I find some men are initially at least attracted to a subculture as a way of being different, to some extent in reaction to the same peer pressure others feel, but defying rather than following it.

There's bound to be some really interesting sociological literature on the psychology of these phenomena, if I were to find the time to look for it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
"Why?" Simply because people like the hats. I wear a wide variety of hats from Westerns to fedoras. I figure that's my business to wear what I choose. If someone else wears a hat that I wouldn't have, well, that's their business, not mine.
With that said, I wouldn't mind having an LC Indy hat, though, but without the "cowboy" curl. I can't understand why anyone would choose an LC Indy hat with that ridiculous "cowboy" curl. Makes no sense.

glider

A-List Customer
No,No,No, you guys have it backwards! It's the movie stars trying to look like normal people like us. It's actors that are always playing a role, not us, we just do what we like. Most of us aren't trying to impress anyone, we're just buying and wearing hats that we like. Some actors [Johnny Deep] can spend a lot more money on a hat than any normal person could or would and of course we do look to see what they are wearing. And we might even like what we see and try to find something similar but that's because we like the hat, not because of who is wearing it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The question why could be asked about almost anything. Go along to a team sports match and you will see many a fan on the terraces wearing their team's jersey. A word of advice, don't ask them why. I do like to go along to see The Saints play Rugby, but not in a Saints jersey.
saints1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
No,No,No, you guys have it backwards! It's the movie stars trying to look like normal people like us. It's actors that are always playing a role, not us, we just do what we like. Most of us aren't trying to impress anyone, we're just buying and wearing hats that we like. Some actors [Johnny Deep] can spend a lot more money on a hat than any normal person could or would and of course we do look to see what they are wearing. And we might even like what we see and try to find something similar but that's because we like the hat, not because of who is wearing it.

Doesn't this all go back to the challenge of separating accessories from the wearer and how they are worn, though? Depp - at least prior to his recent controversies - was for a long time seen as the last word in cool; whether it's him, Indy, Bogie, or whomever else, I'm not sure that I could honestly say when I think "cool hat" that it's only about the hat, and the way it is being worn brings nothing to the picture. (Of course, I have had that experience - Charley Windsor's tailoring being a good example: lovely suits, but he's never been am an who looks comfortable in his own skin to me, so they aren't worn with the panache someone else might have. For the most part, though....)

I've been thinking about this on and off a lot over the last couple of years, as one of my PhD students is working on IP issues in relation to costume in the film industry, and we've discussed a lot the notion of what exactly it is that makes a certain costume - Indy being a prime example - iconic. It is definitely the case that the way the individual wears it contributes significantly, though how we quantify that is much more complicated...

Topper

Vendor
Why do people have to look like movie or TV stars?

Why do they have to wear an Indiana Jones hat, or a John Wayne hat, or a Matt Dillon hat?

This is a complete mystery to me.
Simple really... because the world of Entertainment has moved on. We now look at people at the Cinema, and TV as icons to follow. Prior it was icons and stars of the Stage

Remeber "Fedora" and "Trilby" are name of charactors in Plays.

Saying "John Wayne hat" or "Indiana Jones hat" Is the same context as saying "Fedora hat" or Trilby hat" just seporated by may decades of time.

It is used as a descriptive to have a common reference point of understanding when explaining to another the style or shape etc, it needing a common understanding ( so assumed both parties have seen the movie or play etc) to save a full detailed description.

That and people often want to follow latest trends or icons to feel popular.

To the best of my knowledge and recollection, I have never consciously purchased, used, or worn anything because of a “celebrity” endorsement.

Nor am I likely to.

I don’t think it’s even possible to know all of our own motivations. Humans have an innate need to belong, and yet we also want to feel like we are independent and different/unique. You can look at any group of “outsiders” (punk, goth, outlaw motorcyclists, hippies, cowboys, etc.) any you’ll see that in short order they have a uniform and set of rules that are just as defining as the herd they are rebelling from. Madison Avenue has a lot of science on this and there is a reason companies spend billions a year on advertising and endorsements.

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
I don’t think it’s even possible to know all of our own motivations. Humans have an innate need to belong, and yet we also want to feel like we are independent and different/unique. You can look at any group of “outsiders” (punk, goth, outlaw motorcyclists, hippies, cowboys, etc.) any you’ll see that in short order they have a uniform and set of rules that are just as defining as the herd they are rebelling from. Madison Avenue has a lot of science on this and there is a reason companies spend billions a year of advertising and endorsements.
Somewhere (and I can’t find it) there is a photo of a small group of people, all of whom are wearing similar garments saying “Be Different” or the equivalent.

I though that was exceptionally funny.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Trends have always been set from the top down. For as long as there's been fashion, people have looked to monarchs, nobility, aristocracy, celebrities, and the famously wealthy for the latest fashions.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
People are attached to their favourite celebrity, and they are generally well-trusted by their fans. If they use their product, it shows their fans that it is a product worth using and builds trust in the brand.

Seeing a celebrity attach their name to a product also reassures consumers of the quality of the product. The celebrity would be at risk for damaging their reputation if they endorsed a product that was lacking in quality.

However, when a company signs on a celebrity to endorse their brand, they sign on to everything that comes with that celebrity. While this usually means bringing in some of their fan base as customers, it can lead to a disaster if a scandal occurs.

A prominent example of this was Tiger Woods in 2009, when rumours of his infidelity surfaced and brands began to drop him as a sponsor to avoid the backlash from consumers. Nike didn’t immediately release him as a sponsor and lost customers as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ