Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wild hair, took up guitar lessons at age 58

Peacoat

Bartender
You didn't say what type of amp you got. It is probably at least 20 watts, maybe more.

My big amp is a 1956 tweed Fender bassman. Never used it around the house as I had to turn it up so loud to get tone out of it. Also have a late 50s tweed Fender Champ at about 5 amps, as well as a Pignose at about the same wattage. I found that I had to turn them up pretty high to get distortion and sustain. It was just too loud for me around the house. Wife didn't like it either. The Pignose may be great for guitars, but for harps, it was just too clean.

Then a friend turned me on to the mini Fender Twin. It is somewhere around 1 or 2 watts. It was fun to play with. After I had it for awhile, I did some research and found that the mini Orange Crush was probably the best mini on the market. Had to have one. They were more expensive than the other minis, but wow, what a difference in the distortion and control of the distortion. The Crush comes with a built in tuner. Not useful for me, but for guitar players, it might be helpful. I really don't need a tuner to tell me one of my reeds is starting to go flat. It will always be the draw two (tonic).

Now, bear in mind I play(ed) blues/rock n roll harmonica so YMMV, but for an amp around the house or at a session, I have found nothing to top it.

Here are most of my amps. I have an old '49 Gibson somewhere and another small tube amp in the garage, but these are the best ones I have.

Mini Twin

Mini Twin.jpg

Orange Crush

Orange Crush.jpg

All of them

Amps.jpg

The Champ is in the foreground with the Pignose to the left on the Bassman, then the Mini Twin and the Orange Crush.

Remember, the only truth in life is how far you can bend that third string.

Attachments

• Mini Twin.jpg
    Mini Twin.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 184
  • image.png
    image.png
    27 KB · Views: 203

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Couple of used amps, one was a gift, I think a Marshall, the other I think a used Fender. Got them at home. THe Marshall is a mini amp.

Today, I am transitioning. Been watching guitarjamz and also Justinguitar and now there is MarkTheguitarguy on Yahoo. I am seeing that there are various ways to hold the pick, strum, even make chords. So, I have learned 8 chords and can go between A and D pretty smoothly. Deadening of some strings happen but I just move on. Mike says practice technique five to ten minutes, and then just tackle a song I like for 15 and then finish with 10 minutes playing one I already know (which is zero at this point).

At some point it seems I may need to download a metronome app and then sometimes I read that I need to tap my foot, which could be like using the metronome. I also feel that scales will be important and bar chords. but I want to tackle 3 or 4 easy songs that I can actually play, beginning to end, and maybe even sing to, and be able to whip the guitar out for company at the house. Then, this other stuff may follow. That seem like a reasonable plan? And at some point, probably take a guitar lesson.

First Song, Free Falling by Tom Petty

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My A chords never come out as clean as I’d like. But if you can set your three fingers in the A, lift off the one placed on the B string, play the A with the B open and then move it to the 4th fret you essentially have the core of that 60s Byrds/Sonny and Cher/Hey Joe jangle everyone loves.

My A chords never come out as clean as I’d like. But if you can set your three fingers in the A, lift off the one placed on the B string, play the A with the B open and then move it to the 4th fret you essentially have the core of that 60s Byrds/Sonny and Cher/Hey Joe jangle everyone loves.

Ah, suspended chords. Suspended chords are created by omitting the third and replacing, typically, with the major second or the perfect fourth. They sort of give you two chords in one, sounding like you’re moving to another chord, but still keeping the sound of the root. Going back and fourth between the root chord and its sus2 and sus4 gives you that classic chiming jangly sound. You hear it a lot in A and in D.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Today is a great day - Guitar Center sent me $40 to spend as I see fit in the next week. So I am going to get some Elixir strings for my acoustic guitar, a string cutting tool and a winder, and then with the $9 or so left, I will get a backup set of strings for the electric guitar. That sound okay or would someone suggest something else?

Edit: Got some Ernie Ball 9 guage superslinkies for the electric, elixer nanoweb 10s for the acoustic, a string cutter (needlenose pliers it looks like) and a dunlop winder to keep in the acoustic gig bag and a cheaper winder for the electric guitar gig bag (and I can always bring the cutter the next day to snip off the end, but at least I can change strings on the electic, which now is at the office and the acoustic, since it is louder, at home)

Last edited:
The Elixir strings sound just fine. The nanoweb coating means they’ll last a little longer, but are more expensive. I’d recommend cleaning your strings after each playing session. Just use a soft, lint free cotton cloth such as an old T-shirt and wipe them down. This will help remove some of the sweat and body oils that will eventually kill your strings. I play 11s on my acoustics, but the 10s will be easier on your fingers.

Rock on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy