Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will jeans be going out of fashion?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I believe the ordinary, regular-wash men's jean will remain a staple. Why? Because it works, it's worked ever since it was created, and besides, men as a whole change their style very slowly.

I believe women's jeans will be around for a while, too, at least for casual wear. They're practical, and they've been staples for so long that I doubt women will trash them overnight.

The denim trend is definitely headed down, though. The craziness of designer jeans and all the special treatments had to stop at some point. The pendulum is swinging back toward a polished look. Only the dark-wash, trouser-cut denim works with that elegant look. But...there's another 80s style coming back, so I fear we're in for a few years of skinny jeans. At least on some folks.

I gave up on jeans a couple years back when I just couldn't find any that fit me. Skirts and flowing pants are far more flattering. And skirts don't have all those pesky fitting problems.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing jeans since I was a tyke. I look good in them, they are comfortable and I do not look like a slouch probably because I am not one, even in jeans. They may go out of style, but I'll keep wearing them.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Charlie Noodles said:
Jeans will be in fashion for as long as looking like a slob can still be thought of as rebellious.

I'm neither slobbish for wearing jeans nor do I consider wearing them as rebellious; to do so I'd have to consider what the masses expect of me, which I do not.

I've always thought of communications and consideration as equally or more so a reflection of slobbishness (or stylishness) than attire.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by PrettySquareGal:
I want to clarify something: I assume we are talking about jeans for non-professional attire.

I think so. Mostly. But the line has blurred as of late.

I actually don't mind a nice pair of darker jeans worn with the appropriate tops and accessories for a business casual look. (On women, that is.) It just should be done right, and not too casually.

here was me thinking this was a thread about general trends we were seeing on the streets . . . oh well.

Denim is wonderful. It wears well (when it's high quality denim) and it washes well (when it's high quality denim), it looks great when styled nicely (thinks repro or original vintage styles). What's not to like? It does the job, and that's why it's endured.

bk

I think I have a pair burried in the draw that I use for painting, yardwork and what they were invented for. Outside of that, running around town calls for some type of trousers.
The fit varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as they cut the dang things stacked up like cordwood when they cut them. The always wear out in embarassing places and yes I know that is stylish to wear vagabond looking jeans. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: What will the children do if they go out of style and they have to try to get size 60 trousers so they can hang them around their ankles though? :rolleyes: :p

Crane's

Familiar Face
The "work" type of jeans aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Now some of the "fashion" styles need to go bye bye and quickly in my opinion. Oh wait, not the razor cut trashed out style though. I can sell my work trashed jeans for big money.....

DerMann

Practically Family
I never liked jeans, to be perfectly honest - not enough pockets and usually restrictive in motion. I never really like any specific style of dress prior to my "dandisation."

I think it was 2003 or 2004 when Levis came out with their line of work trousers. If anyone has ever worn modern BDU trousers, they are almost a direct copy of them, but in a much more forgiving fabric. Button through rear pockets, slanted side pockets, and best of all, a cargo pocket at each thigh. And surprisingly, they were rather high waisted (almost reached up to my navel).

They were 100% cotton, and were fairly heavy duty. I still keep a green and khaki pair on hand for when I replace my car's oil or do any manual labour, as I haven't owned a pair of jeans in over four years and they're still fairly comfortable and practical.

I wore them exclusively until 2006 in my Junior year of highschool when I finally switched over to proper trousers (thanks going to Landsend for that one).

For me, I will always associate jeans with miners, cowboys, and labourers. I cannot bear to see "dressed up" jeans with a sportsjacket, as it doesn't so much dress the jeans up as it dresses the jacket down. Jeans can go on serving their purpose, but they needn't creep into the fashion world, or worse, become an accepted style.

shortbow

Practically Family
Around here, young or old, male or female, it's all jeans all the time. I grew up in them. My Grandfather had a company in El Paso that made them. I have worn them almost exclusively most of my life. But as I approach 60 I just can't find any I am comfortable in. Any of the cool old lines that I've worn fit fine when my belly was flat, although I always found that they rode up on my waist when on a horse, and when canoeing or hiking I found them restrictive. I like their toughness, and that you can stuff the pockets with lots of stuff without losing it all. Just wish somebody would make a good heavey old-time style made to fit old guys.

Meantime, looks like sayonara to jeans for me It also bugs me that the old companies have all moved off shore.

TessTrueheart

GentlemanFarmer said:
As long as I'm working horses, I'll be in jeans. Tess in Sweden must have never been to a rodeo with the riders in those tight starched Wranglers. Doubt she'd be bored.

Nope, never been to a rodeo, and I'm sure I wouldn't be bored! But I was talking about jeans going out of fashion, not disappearing from the face of the earth.:) As we all know, fashion and style are not the same.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I have one pair of jeans. I use these for riding my motorcycle. I grew up when it took a long time to "break a pair of jeans in". Hence, I have never elected to incorporate them into my clothing selections. I prefer kaki- type "camp pants". They are comfortable from "day one". I am sure I am "behind the times."

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Jeans out of Fashion? - NEVER

Here in the Mountain West - the heart of Cowboy Country - blue jeans have always been a wardrobe (forget about fashion) necessity. They will never, ever go out of style! :eek: :p :D They don't call Denver a Cowtown for nothing? :D

Erik

One of the Regulars
Jeans, since 1873 and going strong. Frankly, I see jeans as likely to fall out of fashion as the two other forum favorites, the base ball hat and the tee shirt, which is to say not very likely.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Jeans? Out of fashion? Never in Texas.

It's really funny because an evening outfit in Texas often includes a starched pair of Wrangler's and boots. That and a crisp white button up shirt and you are looking sharp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24