Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will re-lining a vintage jacket lower the resale value?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Just wondering. Sometimes there is no option if the liner is in shreds, but what if it is borderline (small holes etc)? Wear it as is or re-line it if you want to sell down the road? I am assuming a great professional re-line job, sewing original labels back on, etc. Specifically an early Harley Davidson Sportster.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think this question will get different answers...
Some people care about the "all original" sticker more than the usability of the item.

I personally care more about usability, i would pay more for a vintage jacket with a pro lining change that is invisible than i would for a vintage jacket with a dirty liner full of holes.
I am sure somebody else will say the jacket is worthless now with it's new lining. You can't please everyone...

Last edited:
I can tell you that if I was buying a specific vintage jacket - let's say a Beck 333, for example - I'd much prefer it with the original lining, regardless of the condition its in.
So yeah, relining the jacket would devalue it for me personally.

robrinay

One Too Many
I’ve had a couple of Aero leather jackets re-lined and they reused the original labels. I reckon relining by the maker is the way to go if it’s possible to enhance the value. But only do this if you’re going to get some wear out of the jacket as the cost of a reline is often greater than the value of the finished jacket.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It depends a good deal on whether the jacket has collector's value to begin with.

If it's a historical piece, then any alterations would hurt its value. By historical piece I don't mean just an old/vintage jacket, but one with actual historical significance, like a WWII A-2 worn on missions by someone from the USAAF. And then, alterations made by the original owner, that are part of the jacket's history and value as an artifact, would not detract from its value. If the USAAF airman had his jacket painted, that's not going to detract from the value; if you came along 80 years on and tried to touch up that paint work, it certainly would.

If a prospective buyer likes the alterations and values them, then they might well pay more for them, while a prospective buyer who values originality and authenticity would tend to be turned off by attempts at repairing, restoring, or improving from original condition. But someone buying to wear it might well appreciate those efforts, if they're done well, and to their taste.

Of course quality of the work would need to be taken into consideration as well.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^^ Spot on here.

The one time I've ever had privledge of handling an authentic, actual WWII - A2 I did observe it's "flaws" and "Character" but none of that detracted from the jacket itself.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It depends a good deal on whether the jacket has collector's value to begin with.

If it's a historical piece, then any alterations would hurt its value. By historical piece I don't mean just an old/vintage jacket, but one with actual historical significance, like a WWII A-2 worn on missions by someone from the USAAF. And then, alterations made by the original owner, that are part of the jacket's history and value as an artifact, would not detract from its value. If the USAAF airman had his jacket painted, that's not going to detract from the value; if you came along 80 years on and tried to touch up that paint work, it certainly would.
Of course quality of the work would need to be taken into consideration as well.

I had an original A2 with a lady painted on the back, but yes I did get a lady artist to 'restore the painting, it was the flying lady from the December 1943 Varga calendar. Did it ruin the value though, I don't know.
The reason I had it restored was simply that the whole of the girls head and hair were missing along with some of her arms ands virtually no hands. In my opinion the jacket looked terrible in it's original condition. The restoration was very well done and matched the original artwork when dry and after a little weathering I had taught myself painting patches.
This was back in the late 1980s though when there were not that many originals around to compare with.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all for great input. I decided to fix the small holes and keep the original liner. I bought the HD Sportster frankly because it was $100... ;). The seller provided wrong measurements, so I was pretty sure it will be borderline too tight and I would pass it on here at cost. But it fits fine and I want to wear it (occasionally, along with the other Sportster I have). I think there is value in keeping it all original.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I had my first Eastman Luftwaffe horsehide relined at maybe 15 years old and worn 100% of the time. It had circumnavigated the world with me multiple times and I was "attached" to it. My only leather jacket at the time. I had it dissasembled here in Perth Western Australia and relined and when apart the leatherworker made an exact pattern and reproduced the jacket in lighter goat leather for West Australian conditions. Then I wore that 95% and the original relined maybe 5%.. the cost of the relining was a huge % of the cost of the copy/remake which I did not mind at the time. Since then the leather jacket bug bit deep (as it does) and I have scored some ripper deals on the 'net (often at less cost than a restore/reline !) and now have a collection that I will NEVER wear out ! Bottom line, would I reline a jacket again ? Probably not

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points