Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Win an INCREDIBLE 1939 DB Suit

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

This beautiful suit is just too small for me. The size is about a 37 R, or a slim-fitting 38 R.

So, off to you it goes. The condition is absolutely pristine -- it doesn't look as if it's been used at all. Like new, period.

On eBay, this suit would most probably fetch between $300 and $400, due to bidding by Japanese and European buyers.

I'm going to throw it to the Loungers. Consider this thread a 10-day auction for the suit. My reserve price is $300. Whoevever offers the highest price above the reserve wins. Please post your bids (if any) here in this thread. If no bids are received, then I'll put the suit on eBay. Payment via PayPal, money order, or cashier's check. This auction ends on Thursday, May 3, at 9:31 a.m. (PST).

Some photos I took recently. The suit is in fact much darker than most of my pics show -- it's jet black, with dove grey raised diagonal pinstripes.

Here are the FLAT measurement:

JACKET:

Width of chest (doubled): 40 inches.

Width of jacket at waist (doubled): 35 1/2 inches.

Width of jacket at thigh (doubled): 38 1/2 inches.

Back length, from top of collar to bottom of jacket: 30 3/4 inches.

Shoulder width: 18 5/8 inches.

Full sleeve length: 33 5/8 inches, with 1 1/2 inches of extra fabric to let out.

Sleeve inseam length: 19 1/2 inches.

WAISTCOAT:

Width of chest (doubled): 38 inches.

Width at waist (doubled): 33 inches.

Front length: 22 1/4 inches.

Back length: 19 inches.

TROUSERS:

Width of waist (doubled): 29 1/4 inches, with 2 1/2 inches of extra material to let out.

Width of seat (doubled): 20 3/4 inches.

Outerseam: 42 inches.

Inseam: 30 inches, with 1 1/4 inches of extra hem to lengthen the leg.

Length of zipper fly: 8 3/4 inches.

Depth of inner pleat: 1 inch.

Width of leg at thigh (doubled): 26 1/2 inches.

Width of leg at knee (doubled): 22 1/2 inches.

Width of leg at cuff (doubled): 18 1/2 inches.

Height of cuffs: 1 3/4 inches.

AuctionphotosApil098.jpg

AuctionphotosApil100.jpg

AuctionphotosApil104.jpg

AuctionphotosApil103.jpg

AuctionphotosApil094.jpg

AuctionphotosApil109.jpg

AuctionphotosApil107.jpg
AuctionphotosApil111.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MudInYerEye said:
Measurements would be helpful to prospective bidders.

Agreed. I'll have detailed measurements of the jacket, waistcoat and trousers for you tomorrow morning. What I can say for sure is that this suit is not a "short" size: it's definitely a "regular" that would fit someone with a height of 5'11" or so.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgot to mention this before ...

I bought the suit hoping very much that it would fit me. The seller's "Buy-It-Now" price was $200, which I paid. Judging by the prices that suits of this vintage, cut, and quality (despite the small size) have been fetching on eBay for the last year, I really do believe that it would command a winning bid price there of between $300 and $400. (See links below.) If a Lounger ends up winning it here for, say, $301, I'll be happy ... and the Lounger can be satisfied that he didn't have to compete with eBayers who'd be willing to pay over $350 for the same suit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190091875545&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1940s-M...ryZ52388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-30s-Sat...ryZ52388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MudInYerEye said:
Measurements would be helpful to prospective bidders.

Here are the FLAT measurement:

JACKET:

Width of chest (doubled): 40 inches.

Width of jacket at waist (doubled): 35 1/2 inches.

Width of jacket at thigh (doubled): 38 1/2 inches.

Back length, from top of collar to bottom of jacket: 30 3/4 inches.

Shoulder width: 18 5/8 inches.

Full sleeve length: 33 5/8 inches, with 1 1/2 inches of extra fabric to let out.

Sleeve inseam length: 19 1/2 inches.

WAISTCOAT:

Width of chest (doubled): 38 inches.

Width at waist (doubled): 33 inches.

Front length: 22 1/4 inches.

Back length: 19 inches.

TROUSERS:

Width of waist (doubled): 29 1/4 inches, with 2 1/2 inches of extra material to let out.

Width of seat (doubled): 20 3/4 inches.

Outerseam: 42 inches.

Inseam: 30 inches, with 1 1/4 inches of extra hem to lengthen the leg.

Length of zipper fly: 8 3/4 inches.

Depth of inner pleat: 1 inch.

Width of leg at thigh (doubled): 26 1/2 inches.

Width of leg at knee (doubled): 22 1/2 inches.

Width of leg at cuff (doubled): 18 1/2 inches.

Height of cuffs: 1 3/4 inches.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Curious to see whether any of us have the desire and the cash to bid on this suit. Perhaps someone's waiting 'til the last minute, which is fine. I do think, though, that it would go for more than $300 on eBay ... so don't wait too long. ;)

Remember, this auction ends on Thursday, May 3, at 9:31 a.m. (PST).

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'm wondering, after the one who buys this suit, who will be the lucky third owner after them and how much it's going to be sold for. That is if it lasts that long. Maybe it'll be in a fashion museum in the future.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
That's an interesting question. Usually by accident, I sometimes find out what happens to a suit long after I've sold it. Last Sunday, a long lost acquaintance told me about the guy who ended up getting a suit I sold to the acquaintance 9 years ago.

slightly related to this suit, i was in a vintage clothing store today and saw a British suit from the 1930s - made in Glasgow, of all places - that had a triple-pleated waistcoat! :eek: Pretty standard fare DB 3 piece. Apparently flawless, but too big for me and too much for my budget. 80 pounds. Amazing.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen