Windward jackets by Montgomery Ward (and copies)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Windward, Jan 29, 2009.

1. deluxestyling

deluxestyling One of the Regulars

Is it really only us two who own a Windward jacket on here?
    [​IMG]

2. kyboots

kyboots Practically Family

with!

3. Windward

Windward Practically Family

Calling all Windward owner!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Windward

My "side job" . . . Doorman.

[​IMG]

davyjones007 likes this.
  5. deluxestyling

Does that mean you own one kyboots?

Is that now three of us???

6. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Nothing wrong with, and I prefer to own things not everyone else does! Embrace it fellas. We're not in high school, so enjoy being all grown up and being yourself. Your jackets are great, and the small numbers show Aero are probably correct to retire this model. Good for you guys. You're unique! :)

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

If only three folks on here have them, it does suggest it's not a popular model, so I can understand Aero rationalising their line by dropping it.

I like both much better than the standard Windward design - this one just has the edge, I think. That standard is a bit too 'busy' for me - I like that this is a much cleaner, simpler look. I'm also not a fan of the elasticated leather bits at the sides on the Windward model - I'd change those too if it were me, though, maybe to a strap or buckle affair. Of course, gonig too far with these things and you end up with a wholly different jacket, which may not be your intent!

8. Windward

Thanks Butte ...!!!
    Thanks Edwards - yes ... its was indeed my thoughts to change the elasticated side panels once into a strap or buckle affair just to have finally at last a complete different Windward...although the ealsticated side panels are very functional.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  9. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm sure they are - also less prone to mothing than wool knits, which would be the other alternative....

10. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I agree with Edward - the Winward design is too busy. It needs simplification and removing one or two of those zip pockets is a good call. I would loose the epauletes too. I can see why the half-belt or Highwayman is preferred.

11. eckhartus

eckhartus Familiar Face

Hello,
    The Windward jacket is perfect. Here is mine. It is an original. For me, the only problem, it is a little bit short.
    Best regards
    [​IMG]

12. deluxestyling

Fantastic original Windward eckhartus.

I have never owned an original as they're all too short for me. I always grab pictures of originals when I see them on ebay.

I've noticed the buttons on the cuffs before, all originals seem to have them and I did look into getting some sewn onto mine.

Looks like your's had a removable collar. That's a nice option that I know Aero can offer.

13. eckhartus

eckhartus Familiar Face

It is always better to have an original than one reproduction but there are two problems, they are short and often smaller as you said it, and often they smell bad... That one I had to wash it and it supported well the treatment but I suppose that it is not still the case. Kind regards

14. eClairvaux

eClairvaux One of the Regulars

I am glad to see you are growing a tree in the background following JanSolo's example!

As for the Windward: it is quite clearly not for everyone.

"Enjoy the exclusive pleasure" I say to both members of the Windward owners club!

15. Windward

Just want you to know .... just received back my jerky seal Windward from altering . . .
    Due to the midweight horse hide it feels too blousey in the back after a while - so I decided to send it back to Aero to solve the problem.
    And now I got a perfect fit and the feeling is so great its now a keeper. I am totally into FQHH but this is a nice and underastimated alternative and a great summer jacket. Thanks to Amanda and the machinist for such a great work.

Before . . .
    [​IMG]
    After . . .
    [​IMG]

before. . . .
    [​IMG]
    After . . .
    [​IMG]

16. nevadapd

nevadapd Familiar Face

without breast pockets:
    [​IMG]

What do you think. . . . which one looks better in your eyes?

I lean toward simplicity in my leather jacket preferences - your second design is one I might buy! It really captures a less-is-more design philosophy IMO.

davyjones007 likes this.
  17. Windward

Hi NevadaPD - If you go with the A-2 style epaulettes and stud down collar suggest order without breastpockets - yes, less could be more...
    With the standard collar I would take one breast pocket - I like the decent Halfbelt pocket and almost realized that I need a breast pocket for sunglasses, Mobilphone etc.

davyjones007 likes this.
  18. Windward

Windward with one breast pocket standard collar - A-2 epauletes...
    [​IMG]

And now with added stud down collar....
    [​IMG]

davyjones007 likes this.
  19. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

If you want to clean the jacket up further then why not lose the seam at the waist band?

The Longshoreman has a one piece front, as does this Highwayman from Japan, which I posted the other day.

[​IMG]

20. Windward

sorry ... but for me it looks boring...and weird.