Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windward jackets by Montgomery Ward (and copies)

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Here's my Windward. Cordovan front quarter horsehide with wine coloured rayon satin lining.
007.jpg

003.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Did Aero fully discontinue their cloth jackets? I know when I bought my Waterfront they were rumoured to be doing that, and they're not on the website now though they still do them. Did see a Barnstormer in wax cotton once - I'd love something like that, in a longer body...

JanSolo

Practically Family
What other models are being discontinued, Jan?

This is all rumours, you see, but I've heard that the Windward (because it's too short for most people/ too short for how people like to wear their trousers today) and the HG-5 (weak seller) will be dropped in the not too distant future. They still might redesign the patterns for those who die to have them and bring them back... Who knows...

The B-10 is gone forever. The lady who made those is retired now and gabardine stock is long depleted. The last rolls were used as a (superb) lining material.

Various cloth jackets may come and go as those are usually trainee made.

That's all I know.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Great looking Windwards - both of you!!

I would love an Aero in black waxcotton. The motorcycle jacket they had in green waxcotton was also incredible.

They might do it if you supply the waxcotton (as a forumer once did)

I also regret not having the funds to get a B-10.

Edward

Bartender
This is all rumours, you see, but I've heard that the Windward (because it's too short for most people/ too short for how people like to wear their trousers today) and the HG-5 (weak seller) will be dropped in the not too distant future. They still might redesign the patterns for those who die to have them and bring them back... Who knows...

The B-10 is gone forever. The lady who made those is retired now and gabardine stock is long depleted. The last rolls were used as a (superb) lining material.

Various cloth jackets may come and go as those are usually trainee made.

That's all I know.

Yea,h the retirement story is what I heard. I regret not buying one of their B15s when they dropped those a few years ago. At the time I chose to wait for a B10, but now I've come to prefer the B15....

Great looking Windwards - both of you!!

I would love an Aero in black waxcotton. The motorcycle jacket they had in green waxcotton was also incredible.

They might do it if you supply the waxcotton (as a forumer once did)

I also regret not having the funds to get a B-10.

I'd definitely have jumped on one at the low price when they blew them out last year, but didn't see any in my size. The collective wisdom some time back was that they weren't as good as the ELC take on it (this at the time when the Aero was GBP200, and the ELC GBP300, I'm sure it's much more now), but at that cheap price..... However illogical, I'm reluctant to spend big money on cloth jackets, even if I'd be prepared to shell out the same price on leather....

Aero used to make incredible shoes. They have a few new models, I've notice, but very different -- more sort of "farmer wear".

Sir J

Did they actually make them? My understanding is that the clothing line aside from the jackets is all outsourced ad branded Aero. The boots (which I really like) look to be very much like William Lennon boots. It's a good move by Aero as the sort of vintage workwear aesthetic of the line goes well with their leathers, but it'd be a huge investment for them to get into actually making shoes themselves.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Griff if you want wax cotton to send to them use british millerain , last year the 8oz black chera 8 (the stuff used to make barbour internationals) was just £4 per meter plus vat.

You might not even need to do that as I know aero get the stuff direct of them and there is no minimum order from millerain so they would be able to get just enought for one jacket at a time.

Another supplier is Halley stevenson but they are a lot more expensive, but they doe have a wider range of colours available, I have a load of their olive drab brown/green and it is fantastic stuff, just like the colour used on sherman tanks late war and it wears to a lovely bronzed finish with use rather than green like the millerain greens do.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
The jeans are '33 LVC. The belt is a one off from a guy in California called Sam (third from top in pic). The buckle made by Ace motor works and I bought it from John Lofgren's Speedway-shop on ebay.
002.jpg

004.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Griff if you want wax cotton to send to them use british millerain , last year the 8oz black chera 8 (the stuff used to make barbour internationals) was just £4 per meter plus vat.

You might not even need to do that as I know aero get the stuff direct of them and there is no minimum order from millerain so they would be able to get just enought for one jacket at a time.

Another supplier is Halley stevenson but they are a lot more expensive, but they doe have a wider range of colours available, I have a load of their olive drab brown/green and it is fantastic stuff, just like the colour used on sherman tanks late war and it wears to a lovely bronzed finish with use rather than green like the millerain greens do.

Hey thats really good to know. Thanks alot!

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Gents for your comments - - - Thanks @deluxestyling - for the pics!

After some trial and errors - I know how long my jackets should be. My first utility jacket was a Highwayman in Size 46 but it was too long.
My first Windward was ...yes ... a tad too short but since Aero make custom jackets (Thanks God) ... the others were just perfect in Body lenght.
I am not a tall guy with 5'10" / 178 cm that means a long jacket give the impession of short legs - with a short jacket the legs seems to be "longer" - thats the trick. I am not a Bodybuilder just a sturdy fellow. I've owned a few A-2's but was not really lucky with the patch pockets.

@Jan Thanks - A good placed rumour increases the sales . . . :D

All of my Windwards tagged as Size 46 - as Butte said just a number - and measured:
- front lenght 22" - shoulder 22" - back lenght 23" - armpit 27" - sleeves 26" ........

Thanks

Last edited:
Never has a set of numbers vs jacket tag said so much Windy! That's insane :)
Look at it this way, you'll have the market cornered and won't look like anyone else you run into! They fit you well.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Mine doesn't see a lot of use. I love it but it's just not an easy jacket to knock about in. The arm holes are big and as the jacket is snug combined with the thick leather it rises up if I reach out or above my head. I know this problem has been knocked about lots here before.

I feel if I'd gone for a mid weight hide and a size up in the chest it would be easier to live. The snug fit is the look I like but it will always mean movement is restrictive.

I did have some more pictures of original Windward jackets in this style and one had a bi-swing back panel behind the arm. This would have also been a nice feature.

Windward is one of my favourite jacket styles and if I had the dough spare I'd order another today but it would be made from something like mid-weight horse or cape skin. Even Aero's deer skin if I didn't have a jacket in that already.

Windward

Practically Family
Never has a set of numbers vs jacket tag said so much Windy! That's insane :)
Look at it this way, you'll have the market cornered and won't look like anyone else you run into! They fit you well.

Thanks Butte!! Everybody and his dog searching / yearning for the perfect leather jacket - it seems that I have found what others still looking for.
I am thinking about "create" a new jacket style based on the Windward pattern - like this:

with one breast pocket:
Windwardwithoutcordereffects_cordovan_onepocket.jpg

without breast pockets:
Windwardwithoutcordereffects_cordovan_NOpocket_BLACK.jpg

What do you think. . . . which one looks better in your eyes?

@deluxestyling - my midweight seal brown Windward wears like a feather compared to FQHH - if you go with another Windward think about G1 underarm gussets.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
The jeans are '33 LVC. The belt is a one off from a guy in California called Sam (third from top in pic). The buckle made by Ace motor works and I bought it from John Lofgren's Speedway-shop on ebay.
002.jpg

004.jpg

Deluxestyling... thank you for letting me know :) In fact ACE Belts and Buckles are outstanding!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy