Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windward jackets by Montgomery Ward (and copies)

Does this count? It is very short.

FrenchMoto1.JPG

bk

Fenton

Familiar Face
Windward said:
Hi Milu,
the jacket is a size 46. In suit jackets I normally take a EU 54. My height is 178 cm and I like my short jackets to cover my belt so I found out that the best jacket lenght must have a front lenght (Zipper) of 21" = 53 cm and a back lenght (from collar seam to back of the jacket) 23,25" = 59 cm.
ciao e a presto!

Hi Windward,
like you I like my jackets short - sitting on the belt or slightly covering it. I've recently ordered a Highwayman but wasn't really sure about the length. I'm 174 cm. I've ordered the jacket with a back lenght (collar seam to bottom) of 56-57cm hoping that it will result in fit I'm looking for. I figured that 58 would probably be too long.

Comparing your measurements with mine I'm optimistic that it'll work. If in your case 178cm = 59cm back length is perfect, I hope that 174 = 56/57cm will be okay for me. Do you reckon that'll work?

cheers

Windward

Practically Family
Measurments Highwayman

Fenton said:
Hi Windward,
like you I like my jackets short - sitting on the belt or slightly covering it. I've recently ordered a Highwayman but wasn't really sure about the length. I'm 174 cm. I've ordered the jacket with a back lenght (collar seam to bottom) of 56-57cm hoping that it will result in fit I'm looking for. I figured that 58 would probably be too long.

Comparing your measurements with mine I'm optimistic that it'll work. If in your case 178cm = 59cm back length is perfect, I hope that 174 = 56/57cm will be okay for me. Do you reckon that'll work?

cheers

Ciao, it will be perfect and you will get an short Highwayman. My first Highwayman was a size 46 and you can see the measurments. I like the jacket but later I am more and more into short jackets so I go (and end) with Windward. But a short Highwayman is something I would also like. Dont forget to post your pics you know: . . . worthlesswithoutpics
Windward

Measurments_Highwayman46.jpg

Fenton

Familiar Face
Windward said:
Ciao, it will be perfect and you will get an short Highwayman. My first Highwayman was a size 46 and you can see the measurments. I like the jacket but later I am more and more into short jackets so I go (and end) with Windward. But a short Highwayman is something I would also like. Dont forget to post your pics you know: . . . worthlesswithoutpics
Windward

Measurments_Highwayman46.jpg

thanks for the measurements Windward - that's excactly what I was looking for! I suppose one thing to consider when buying a short Highwayman is the fact that there's not a great difference between the front and back length - according to your measurement only 1 inch = 2.5 cm. So I might have to go for a slightly shorter back (55/56 cm) to give the front a proper fit.

cheers

Fenton

Familiar Face
oh, and one thing I forgot ... did Aero nail your measurements? That is, did they manage to make the back length excactly 59cm or somewhere thereabouts?

Windward

Practically Family
Body lenghts

Fenton said:
thanks for the measurements Windward - that's excactly what I was looking for! I suppose one thing to consider when buying a short Highwayman is the fact that there's not a great difference between the front and back length - according to your measurement only 1 inch = 2.5 cm. So I might have to go for a slightly shorter back (55/56 cm) to give the front a proper fit.

cheers

The reason for the different lenghts measurements is because of the collar. The jacket is "sitting" on your shoulder and the measurments starts on the collar seam which is higher / longer than the front zipper otherwise you would wear a "rollneck" - so there is no real different in front and back lenght cause the jacket is straight and not tapering.

Your second question: Yes ! AERO nailed it and I am always relaxed after ordering from AERO. They have the shortest response time I ever know - they are always very accommodating with custom requirements. There is not any european company existing who can compares with AERO's custom service - AERO are second to non - Thank you Amanda - thank you Will !!

Windward

Fenton

Familiar Face
thanks windward! I'll definitely put up some pics when the jacket arrives ... unfortunately that won't be before May ...

Windward

Practically Family
“The Mighty Three” - 3 colours in FQHH

Hi everybody!

Today I like to present the “Mighty Three” – 3 of the best AERO Windward jackets and hope you enjoy the show . . .
Probably for some it will be helpful to make a decision for ordering an AERO jacket - or some just like to see other jackets with different shapes and look. Just like I do . . . so one hand washes the other. . .

The first of the “Mighty Three” is my Windward in Vintage black FQHH with black cotton drill which I purchased January 2007

WindwardVintageBlackFQHH.jpg

The second is my Windward in Cordovan FQHH with black Alpaca lining and dark brown mouton fur collar:

WindwardCordovanHeavyFQHH.jpg

And the third is my Windward in standard brown FQHH with brown Cotton drill and looks like that the jacket want to mingle with my Alden Havanna Medaillon Tip

IMGP0194.jpg

In addition - and for the reason that someone likes to see how the jackets fit the owner – here we go:

Windwardfrontview11.jpg

Windwardcordovanfurcollar.jpg

IMGP0075.jpg

IMGP0189.jpg

More pics later . . . thanks for looking and your opinions.
Best regards
Windward

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
What is it about Windwards?...

You're preaching to the converted here Mr Windward, I love 'em too. I'm planning out my second Aero Windward right now. You've a very nice collection I must say...

Here's couple of shots I've saved of some original Windward Jackets I thought I'd share.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Those sure look good Mr Windward. Particularly the cordovan with the mouton collar.

I've realised that I am becoming a sucker for a mouton collar. The full blown shearling collar is, I find, a bit over the top; even a bit camp dare I say! But the mouton's subdued subtlety and practicality works a treat - as you ably demonstrate on your cordovan Windward.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for posting those, it's great to see the colours against eah other in a full jacket in daylight like that... The samples Aero provide are great, but it's difficult to visualise how they might look in a larger piece sometimes. I'm still awaiting my Cordovan Bootlegger I ordered just before Christmas - hope to have it by Easter when (fingers crossed!) it'll finally be warm enough to wear it here.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Colors

I sure am glad I can't do a new jacket right now! I need to dig up an 70s or older bike for our annual old bike run. Which shade, I love the red in the Cordovan, but the standard Brown looks as good as they come! Decisions decisions!

Windward

Practically Family
deluxestyling: Thanks for the kind words …
you also got a very nice jacket - like the extra buttos.
BTW: Bikers got special MC-Jackets so I am sure Jeepers also got to have their special jackets - so I take the Windward as my “Jeeper-Jacket” ;)

Papa M: The mouton fur collar give the jacket a more classier look and the combination cordovan and dark brown got the best look - IMHO

Edward – every cordovan looks unique – and luxury! Do you like to show us your new one if it’s landed?! Hope it will be done befor eastern (Finger cross)

Stearman: Indeed the best vintage jackets to match a vintage bike or may I say - Jeep

About (my) decisons . . . .Black and Brown:
Vintage Black FQHH is a great basic (a must have) and ages as well as the brown does.
I’d agree a state form a past thread: Nothing ages like AERO brown FQHH and will soon look as a real vintage jacket.
Both - black and browns - are suitable for opportunities with rough jeans, chinos or vintage premium cargo pants.
I can dress it up with a white silk scarf (wear it like a "Flightjacket) or wear it like it comes.

About cordovan:
Cordovan - ("oxblood" lol ) FQHH always looks classy just with a T-Shirt. If you got the chance to get a pair of Alden in color #8 you will be glad that both colours are the perfect match (both are from Horween - Chicago)
You might be like to hear also this - I have weared my cordovan three month daily ! and it is now B U T T E R Y soft.

Edward

Bartender
I'll definitely be posting pictures when it arrives. It's mostly a standard Bootlegger, with a couple of additions - cuffs as per the thirties halfbelt, throat latch, interior "gun" pockets.

Windward

Practically Family
How does great Windward jacket fits . . .

What do you thing about the fit ? ...

ComparedFitWindward_openblack_brown.jpg

Compared_FitClosed_BlackvsBrown-1.jpg

Compared_FitBacks_BlackvsBrown.jpg

Any comments?

Edward

Bartender
Look great. That 50s commercial 'bomber' jacket style is something that can look superb with the "right" neat fit, and just nasty when too baggy. These look to be bang on to my eye.

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks for comments

and your kind words! - I am sure that I have found what I've been looking for: The perfect leather jacket!

Edward

Bartender
If you think you have, leave here quickly.... Seriously, I didn't much care for Irvins or AN6552s or B3s before I came here..... now I've got two of those three already, plus an A2..... The only more epxensive "hobby" I've ever had was the guitar.... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112