Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

windy day in boston

minus_273

New in Town
wow its windy here in boston today. how many of you guys also had your hats fly off? i nearly lost mine crossing the street at boylston. quite a scare.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tie on your lapel

You guys need a "wind trolly" or "wind catcher" button. If you lid doesn't have one, then you can have one professonally installed. It reduces the embarasment of running down an icy sidewalk after your fedora. And I have been on the SF Ferry on the Bay...and it was SOOOO windy, I had to move inside to the cabin, for fear of loosing my Optimo in the drink.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Andykev,
Have you ever actually used one of your wind trolleys?

I have one on my vintage Borsalino, but it is wrapped around the crown like an extra ribbon; I almost don't want to touch it!

It sure would have come in handy today.

Another question, I have seen them on vintage hats, but do any modern day hatters or hat shops provide wind trolleys?

Thanks,
HJ

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You look less of a dork with the wind cord hanging down than when you run after it

HJ there are some decorative ones, and functional ones. My vintage hats have had both. My Optimo's have functional ones. You unloop the cord from the crown and then you fasten it to your lapel button, or whatever, ie. lasso it.

Then you do look geeky with your string hanging down on the left side. But to be honest, if your hat jumps off your head into the bay on the way to Alcatraz, you are gonna get very cold if you swim after it. Likely , you will be P.O. ed at yourself to let it happen in the first place .. You been on the bay, I saw the pics. Gets windy? Boston, you guys get blows there?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Andykev said:
You been on the bay, I saw the pics. Gets windy? Boston, you guys get blows there?
Thanks for the information!
Yes, it does get windy here. Right now, it's about 24 with 40+ mph wind gusts. It is truly artic.
San Francisco is a lovely city. I have warm memories and I am looking forward to going back. My sister lives close to City Hall. I love the Dungeness (spelling?) crabs! It is a very friendly and comfortable place.

It was a bit windy and damp when I was on The Rock, but not too cold by Boston standards. You certainly do not want to lose a hat to the Bay!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I worry about the strength of the 60-year old stitches on my Borsalino's wind trolley. The thread on the back of the sweat is coming apart, so the wind trolley wouldn't be much different. Maybe I should have it stitched on with fresh thread.

Other than that, I would use it!

Brad

minus_273

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
Yes, it does get windy here. Right now, it's about 24 with 40+ mph wind gusts. It is truly artic.

last week was much worse. I remember we had 70 mph wind gusts. Luckily I wasn't walking around in the downtown wind tunnels at the time.

now what are these wind trolley things everyone is talking about. Google got me nothing much.

Russ

One of the Regulars
16 years ago when I first started wearing hats on a daily basis, they would often fly off with the wind. Now they never fly off. I think it's because I subconsciously tilt my head to the wind now. However, I will still carry my hat in my hand when I'm walking over a bridge. The wind is more unpredictable up there, and my chances of retreiving my hat much more slim, especially over a river.

BTW my Akubra Stetson Open Road had a wind trolley. That's not a typo; around 10 years ago Akubra was licensed to produce Stetson hats, but apparently that arrangement is history. Unfortunately I sold the hat before I discovered what that cord and button were for. Thinking back, I should have kept it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
minus_273 said:
now what are these wind trolley things everyone is talking about. Google got me nothing much.

Look at the string wrapped around the bottom part of the ribbon. It is fastened by that button. Well, it uncurls and loops around a button on your lapel. :cool:

Russ, I really would have liked to have seen that Akubra. Do you have any photos?

Russ

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Russ, I really would have liked to have seen that Akubra. Do you have any photos?

Absolutely none. That's what I get for being the family photographer. After I'm gone there will be very little photographic evidence I ever existed. :)

EricH

One of the Regulars
Here's one for you experts in the hat arcane. Has anyone ever mounted the wind trolley in a way other than around the outside of the brim? It would seem that if you could mount it inside the hat (under the band?), it would be just as effective or more effective. It would also reduce the dorkiness of the string over the brim. Besides in this age wires hanging around someones ears is about as odd as people talking out loud to invisible friends. Heck, find a way to attach it to your iPod cord and it might have a new market...iRestrain. But, iDigress :rolleyes:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh you poor boys, worried about losing your hats. Try wearing your hair in a vintage up-do and walking in these 40mph winds. There is not a hairspray on the market that I have found that can beat these Boston winds.

Dalexs

Practically Family
minus_273 said:
last week was much worse. I remember we had 70 mph wind gusts. Luckily I wasn't walking around in the downtown wind tunnels at the time.

Well, those little strings are nice and all, but I've been working on something a bit more permanent that would really withstand the winds we had last week!
hattrolly.jpg

Now, if I can only find a volunteer...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sardou said:
But a brush, a spritz and a squirt of goo will redo a "Do" as good as new.

A lost hat is a wound that will never heal.

[sob]

Sardou
I understand the saddness brought on by a lost hat, but you hav obviously never tried to wear your hair in a ladies style from the 30's. No brush, spritz, or squirt will ever just do. We're talkin can upon can of spray, and that's just to start the day. It must be glued down and unmoveable in order to withstand the weather. One who does not use enough will have one ruined do. I wish I could pull a string and make it all perfect. I have found hair nets are never as stylish as fedoras.And this is just hair we are talking about. You don't have to contend with makeup, or any of that other girlie stuff that is always ruined by the elements. Try running to catch the train in 3 inch heels. You guys can look nice in comfy boots to brave the elements. You are complaining about your hat blowing away, you can hold onto it, or use one of those strings. Oh, you poor men, step into the ladies life for one day, you'd never last.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy