Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter fur hat

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Wonder if any of you own one of those hats that we see the Russians wear, or the ones with the ear flaps. Made of fur on the inside, maybe fur outer or a leather outer? Dont know that I want to spend a whole lot, as winter is not particularly harsh in Memphis, but I am anticipating a football game in Nashville on a Sunday afternoon, and it could be 30 degrees at kickoff. I have beanies and earflaps, but if such a hat was $30 or so, seems convenient to get one of those. Suggestions, pics, website links appreciated.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This says Tennessee.

mountainman.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I have one that I bought at Hutkoenig in Regensburg, Germany. I think mine's fake fur, but I'm not sure at the moment. It's fantastic for winter! I was thinking about replacing it a year or two ago and was doin' some serious looking at Fur Hat World: http://www.furhatworld.com/

Edited: You might also check Cabela's. They call theirs Bomber hats & you can probably get something fairly inexpensively.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Wow, some great hats at furhatworld. Dont know where to begin, need a primer like I got with my Akubra hat. Also ushanka.com is a nice web site.

cptjeff

Practically Family
The other hat style you may want to look into is a diplomat or cossack cap. But for 30 degrees, a tweed cap or fedora would be fine.

As for places to find them cheap, street vendors in poland have good rabbit fur ones for cheap. That probably doesn't help you much, but it's where I got mine.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
just the place

memphislawyer said:
Wonder if any of you own one of those hats that we see the Russians wear, or the ones with the ear flaps. Made of fur on the inside, maybe fur outer or a leather outer? Dont know that I want to spend a whole lot, as winter is not particularly harsh in Memphis, but I am anticipating a football game in Nashville on a Sunday afternoon, and it could be 30 degrees at kickoff. I have beanies and earflaps, but if such a hat was $30 or so, seems convenient to get one of those. Suggestions, pics, website links appreciated.

football+ ushanka? http://www.tundragear.com/

try this site- i think its perfect for what you are looking for. i intend to buy a new ushanka, and this time from them.

you also have this site which you can link to from the first url i gave here:
https://www.balticrim.com/

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Ushankas look like nice hats, though I dislike the fact that all the ones I see in modern fashion shops are fake fur (dubbed "fish fur" by Russians apparently). I'd personally wear a fedora in that weather, but then I can be odd; for example going hatless in -10C in the past (though not for long).

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Dont want a fake fur one. Ushanka.com has some great prices, though it has a sheepskin or lambs fur (mouton they call it). Some have rabbit. Dont know if rabbit or lamb is more desireable, but using the search function on this site, ushanka.com came up. $50 or so seems good price point no more than I would wear it. Dont know which one at furhatworld.com I would get that would be comparable to the Ushanka.com website.

The bilt and the tundras are faux fur. Kinda think that the real fur would be more breathable in that a fleece faux fur could be rather warm if no wind, and I have fleece and running hats that have no ear flaps. I guess the Ushanka/bomber/trooper hat is more stylish

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
faux vs real

i have a rabbit fur ushanka, bought it at dietz hats in philly for about 30 bucks some 7 years ago. my beef with these basic black rabbit fur hats is that the texture of the body is weird. the hat has a crunchy texture under the fur- probably bc it is real rabbit skin?

after watching a documentary on how animals are killed for their fur i cant bring myself to buy something made of real fur....

until i find out how animals are killed to make fur felt, i'll continue with regular felt, and try and stick to faux fur for the ushanka.

as for faux fur, i read on this site years ago:

Dry clean or fur cleaning is suggested. but not at all necessary.cold water wash is acceptable,air dry. DO NOT machine dry or apply any heat as heat will permanently damage the fibers.
Get wrinkles? Just use hair dryer. On high air flow setting, keep the dryer about 2 to 3 inches away from the fur. Blow the air up and down. The wrinkles will be gone.

http://www.charlycalder.cc/osc/catalog/index.php

also, the rabbit fur ushankas have cow-licks in the fur. i wetted it and brushed it but that didn't do much. so if you want real fur, you may need to be selective or, spend big bucks for an uber soft fox tail or something more pricey, at least the faux fur allegedly can be groomed (not confirmed by me though)

leo

One of the Regulars
They can be found in uniform stores (police, postal service, etc.) in the far northern states. Not likely in Memphis but check with the local L. E. types at the courthouse for their supply store which probably can order it for you.

I've worn one when the temp get lower than -5 or -10 and I have to be out a while. Otherwise a good watch cap will work fine.

Last year, I tried a thin insulated winter cycling helmet liner (which works fine in the 20's) under a wool blend watch cap and was quite toasty.

The last two New Year's Day rides with the local cycling club were in the 20's and the one previous was 34 and raining. Chill factors at speed were below zero but no fur hats were seen. ;-)

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner