Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter, hats, and hairstyles

Farren Randolph

New in Town
I've been searching the site and couldn't find this answer. I'm still kind of new to the site, so it's possible I didn't use the right key words. If that's the case, I'm really sorry for the unnecessary thread. Any help is appreciated.

Any thoughts or tips on how to keep fabulously styled hair from being destroyed by a winter hat? I live in a snowbelt and it gets really nasty/sloppy. Serious hats are needed to keep from being miserable and frozen during the season. I generally wear braids and buns during this time of year, but is there any way to keep curled styles from getting demolished?

Thank you again

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
When you set your hair, use a good setting lotion. Then maybe, spray the curls with a strong holding spray to hold the curls. This is trial and error, you have to find out which setting lotion and hair spray your hair likes.

Another thing you can do, is wear a silk scarf on your head, then put on your hat. Of course, this depends on what type of hat you're wearing.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm not sure what era you dress to but cloche hats or cloche style hats can be worn with most looks. Also, if you style your hair in a 30's or 40's manner then you usually wouldn't curl the crown of the hair and thus these hats wouldn't do a lot of style damage. If you are thinking of a knitted woolly hat though, then their all over tightness can rumple hair. I also get terrible flyaways after taking off my knit hat, though as mentioned earlier a good hairspray helps. (Tresemme Freeze hold - its like superglue!)

Farren Randolph

New in Town
I've finally started learning how to do 40's styles. I don't know how I forgot about cloche hats! Thank you!
Thank you for the hairspray recommendation. I was a lifelong pixie cut person up until the last 5 years, and then rather layered hair for the last 3 years. In the last 2 years, I've just started getting hair that was long enough and fairly uniform enough to start doing more things with it. (Basic braids and buns were an exciting first time in my life event.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran