Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Weather - First Snow-

Talbot

One Too Many
I have to say that those snowy scenes are really beautifull. There is nothing like a white Christmas.

I'll be having Christmas dinner at the beach however....

THe Conductor

One of the Regulars
January of 2008:

l_7bbc685e2544b0e449f1cfbd0d788213.jpg

Its supposed to start snowing here again at the end of the week so I am preparing according: Sorrels, gloves, snow blower in tip-top working condition, goggles, sweaters. Preparing for winter battle.

carter

I'll Lock Up
lol lol lol
John in Covina, Avery funny story. :D
I remember a winter or two like that in VA. It never gets close to that in Dallas.

TheConductor, That's some real snow! Glad to hear you're ready for this season's snowfall as well.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In defense of New York

I believe there is no other state in the union that withstands more gratuitous insults than New York. Upstate New York may have a lot of rust belt problems, and snow in the winter and all that, but it's still the Empire State, and it's a beautiful part of the world with a lot of great people.
I know you didn't mean anything by it, but still . . . not nice . . .

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, we finally got our first real blast here in New York today, after much of the country, all the way down to New Orleans, even, already got clobbered. We seem to be catching up quickly. Every time it snows in New York I always say, somebody is seeing snow for the first time, But I just heard some tell tale squealing tires outside that reminded me that somebody is also driving in snow for the first time. Comforting thought, eh?
Anyway, here are my pics. This is how it looks from the middle of The Bronx.
From my living room window:
Snow2008002reduced.jpg

Somewhere out there is the Bronx Zoo:
Snow2008004reduced.jpg

BTW, John in Covina, I'm not really near as offended as the above post sounds. ;)

dhermann1 said:
I believe there is no other state in the union that withstands more gratuitous insults than New York. Upstate New York may have a lot of rust belt problems, and snow in the winter and all that, but it's still the Empire State, and it's a beautiful part of the world with a lot of great people. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but still . . . not nice . . .
Just so you know, about NY, I can speak from personal experience and the "diary" was sent to me by a fellow NYer from my High School in NY.

I was born in Amityville Long Island NEW YORK.
Lived in Copiague, LI, NEW YORK for 22 years
Plattsburgh NEW YORK for 3 years.
(I usually return to NY about every 3 years to visit friends and relatives.)

Been to many great places on LI, NYC, and tons of places in what we "downstaters" call "upstate" (which is anything 20 minutes north of the Bronx county line.) Niagra Falls, the Great Lakes, a really wild college weekend in Pottsdam. Lake George Lake placid, Saratoga Springs was cool. Ticonderoga Glens Falls, Etc.

One thing I can say is I have seen and shoveled enough snow to last a lifetime.

I know at least 4 people back east that have hit deer while driving and a couple out West.

I have two relatives that had heart attacks while shovling snow.

Been thru numerous blizzards, once got stuck by a blizzard for 22 hours in NYC because the snow nearly shut down the LIRR. They had to soak the switches in the rail yard with kerosene and light them up to keep the switches from freezing. Wild sight to see the flames and smoke as we rolled thru the railyard all the while the snow was coming down like crazy!

Seen it cold enough in Plattsburgh that your spit would freeze before it hit the ground. Plattsburgh had some cold winters, the SUNY school has had to close school a number of times because it was too cold and dangerous to be outside. Been there for a winter of Nor-easters and some record snowfalls for Plattsburgh. I have even been winter camping in the Adirondaks.

The beauty of a winter snowfall is magical. Well, Until you have to go any where like commute to work or just food shopping. As you get older that fact takes on more and more significance.

The thing is the magic of a beautiful snowfall was always broken by orders on high to shovel the front and rear stoop, the driveway and sidewalks around the house. The number of times I had to shovel all that over and over again in one evening, well it's not my favorite of memories. So I can say, been there done that.

Still, watching the snow come down in the streetlights with the outside Christmas lights on is wonderful, how the sounds of the world are muffled to silence, erie and awesome. Digging out the 3 foot high wall of ice at end of the driveway because the plows went by for the 3rd time, not so magical.

Going sledding on the golf course at Bethpage State park, some of the best fun I have ever had, period. But there is a price to pay.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I had a great time running around in the snow with my bulldog this afternoon! He was a California dog before this, so this was his first snow and he loved it :D

mike

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Now that's some fun stuff. If you can get a camcorder you need it on video!

I know, I wanted to take pictures, but it's just me and him. I need an extra pair of arms to document it properly.... probably followed by a open minded tailor! :p

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
I believe there is no other state in the union that withstands more gratuitous insults than New York. Upstate New York may have a lot of rust belt problems, and snow in the winter and all that, but it's still the Empire State, and it's a beautiful part of the world with a lot of great people.
I know you didn't mean anything by it, but still . . . not nice . . .
Pathetic isn't it.

dhermann1 said:
I believe there is no other state in the union that withstands more gratuitous insults than New York.
California is always made fun of too as is Los Angeles. First by natives, then by non-natives, then by visitors, and then by people who have never been but have heard about California or LA.

Rachael

A-List Customer
we had some fun in the snow today.

Here's a pic of the mister, wearing his wool baseball cap, cable turtleneck, and single breasted overcoat. This was after the snow fight, as you can see from the state of the coat. No shots of me, I was holding the camera.

000_0026.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Winter in Da Bronx

Got out this afternoon and took a few pics in Bronx Park.
Snow2008007reduced.jpg

No Little League today!
Snow2008008reduced.jpg

Not the best hill, but a usable one:
Snow2008014reduced.jpg

This kid needs a Flexable Flyer!
Snow2008015reduced.jpg

Deco buildings face the park:
Snow2008016reduced.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
SNOW

dhermann1,
Those are lovely photos.
I can almost hear Bing, Danny, Rosemary, and Vera singing, "Snow, snow, snow, snow! It won't be long ...".
We're getting wintry blasts into the high 20's and low 30's but have only seen the white stuff once this season.
Thanks for sending us those images. :)
Carter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw