Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Witch Craft"

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I live near the home of the Yankee Airforce, and see the B17 "Yankee Lady" fly over the house frequently-there is just no mistaking that rumble for anything else. Now and then, I will have my '44 MB or my '42 Dodge out in the driveway when it goes over-what a moment! Of course, I belong to the Yankee Airforce,and go to all the shows with my vehicles.
I work in the Willow Run plant,where Ford made the B24. As you might imagine,it is a huge place,and 50 years of GM ownership have not erased all traces of the bomber days. A number of historically-minded guys like me have spent years exploring the nether regions of this place,looking for traces of the Ford days-as skilled tradesmen, like pipefitters,we have access to areas off-limits to others. Some of the guys have found war-dated newspapers way up in the high bays where some long-ago worker was goofing off. Many of the manhole covers still say FMC (Ford Motor Company) on them. The plant has two huge hanger doors on the end where the finished planes rolled out,and they are maintained to this day-on warm days they are opened,and it is an awesome sight to see them slowly open up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff