Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Introducing the
Spring Aire Ultralite
A Cool Hat for a Warm Day!

Flash.jpg
Introducing the new Spring Aire Ultralite. Inspired by top quality Panama straws, the thin felt, rich color and conveniently vented top and sides make this hat cool on your head in the summer heat. The unique ribbon treatment makes you stand out in a crowd and without the extra bulk of a traditional liner, this hat is light, comfortable and easy wearing! Handmade in Canada, Wolfbrae Custom Hatters sets the standard for quality, style and affordability. A favorite among best dressed men. Don’t wait, get your Spring Aire Ultralite today!

And remember to ask for Wolfbrae hats by name! Wolfbrae - Everyday Bespoke.
Wolfbrae Custom Hatters, Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Contact Robert @belfastboy for details.

Wolf 5.jpg Wolf 6.jpg Wolf 7.jpg Wolf 8.jpg Wolf 9.jpg Wolf 4.jpg Wolf 1.jpg

The Spring Aire Ultralite specs:

Felt: Tonak in Bone

Ribbon: 1-inch light grey grosgrain with contrasting dark grey color flare

Crown: 4 ½ inch (finished) unlined teardrop with vented sides and top

Brim: 2 ½ inch snap brim raw edge

Sweat: 1 ½ inch tan leather

Weight: 101 grams

Introducing the
Spring Aire Ultralite

View attachment 328198
Introducing the new Spring Aire Ultralite. Inspired by top quality Panama straws, the thin felt, rich color and conveniently vented top and sides make this hat cool on your head in the summer heat. The unique ribbon treatment makes you stand out in a crowd and without the extra bulk of a traditional liner, this hat is light, comfortable and easy wearing! Handmade in Canada, Wolfbrae Custom Hatters sets the standard for quality, style and affordability. A favorite among best dressed men. Don’t wait, get your Spring Aire Ultralite today!

View attachment 328199 View attachment 328200 View attachment 328201 View attachment 328202 View attachment 328203 View attachment 328204 View attachment 328205

Whoa, that’s an incredible hat. The “bow” treatment really catches the eye and the minimalist feel is just so appealing on this hat. Congrats to both you and Robert.

Robert’s queue is pushing two months currently and his pricing and wait times are the best in the business. I’m placing my order for a Spring Aire Ultralight today!

PanosChris

Practically Family
Introducing the
Spring Aire Ultralite

View attachment 328198

View attachment 328199 View attachment 328200 View attachment 328201 View attachment 328202 View attachment 328203 View attachment 328204 View attachment 328205

Randy, great! The whole outfit is spot on!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, gents. Robert really nailed it on this one. I told him I wanted a light colored, super light weight felt hat that would hold its own against a Panama straw and he really came through. This one holds its shape but is, at the same time, very plush and "crushable". The closest comparison I have is my Dobbs Cross Country. The Spring Aire and the CC are unlined, have very similar styling and, holding them in my hands, almost identical weights.

And the Spring Aire goes great with Hawaiian shirts, too!!!
Wolf 11.jpg

Whoa, that’s an incredible hat. The “bow” treatment really catches the eye and the minimalist feel is just so appealing on this hat. Congrats to both you and Robert.

Robert’s queue is pushing two months currently and his pricing and wait times are the best in the business. I’m placing my order for a Spring Aire Ultralight today!

^^^^What he said, that's impressive. Kudos to you and Robert.

Randy, great! The whole outfit is spot on!

Scooterz

Practically Family
Thank you, gents. Robert really nailed it on this one. I told him I wanted a light colored, super light weight felt hat that would hold its own against a Panama straw and he really came through. This one holds its shape but is, at the same time, very plush and "crushable". The closest comparison I have is my Dobbs Cross Country. The Spring Aire and the CC are unlined, have very similar styling and, holding them in my hands, almost identical weights.

And the Spring Aire goes great with Hawaiian shirts, too!!!
View attachment 328296

Excellent!

We had the carpet installers in yesterday. 8 hours straight, no breaks, hardest working pair of guys I have come across in a very long time. The older of the two was very interested in my hat making shop. He wants to order a hat but also he was talking about me teaching him the ropes as he is looking for a new trade. He knows he can't keep up this physical pace for too many more years.
I didn't tell him that hat making is not physically taxing but it is a damn hard way to make a buck.

My endeavors with Wolfbrae are divided into two categories:
1. Full customs from new hat bodies/capelines.
2. Repair, refurbishment, and revisioned vintage and used hats.

I found a wide brim Knox Twenty on ebay for a great price, but the hat was in bad shape. Along with the normal wear and tear, a previous owner had pierced the brim and crown and used a vintage US military hat piece to hold the front of the brim in a vertical position against the crown. Robert did his magic and the hat was restored to its former glory. The hat was reversed to put the holes in the back, but you have to be looking to see any evidence of the holes.

The original sweatband had dry rot and was cracking and separating. Robert sized it up from 7 1/8 and managed to get me a full six inch crown and a 3 1/2 inch brim (down from four inches).

Before:

766D0C0B-822D-40E7-8E08-BECC7334A0E7.jpeg
7ED16B85-CFAC-4DE8-8B8C-9E4B1494907D.jpeg
D591F731-1C81-4F0C-96AF-71DCDACDC05A.jpeg

After:

10916DE7-A712-4CD7-955F-E4FFEE544285.jpeg
BFEAABC4-2E4E-4DFE-9221-F1A637B68619.jpeg
948447F9-0A8E-49EB-9E00-6F534BFEBF10.jpeg
93F50365-89CA-4F76-B90D-82C2521CE756.jpeg
08E03577-C862-46B8-A2AF-F54F8215380A.jpeg

This was a wonderful hat that was no longer serviceable. For certain it lost its authenticity from the refurbishment work, but better that than the bin.

Having access to a hatter like Robert at Wolfbrae opens up all sorts of possibilities. The work is first rate and I find rescuing vintage hats every bit as exciting as commissioning a new custom.

Attachments

• D6A24B15-EC28-4546-AEFF-F2DB22F048FC.jpeg
    D6A24B15-EC28-4546-AEFF-F2DB22F048FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 247
  • 0918F32E-37DC-4064-B945-88EEA4781330.jpeg
    0918F32E-37DC-4064-B945-88EEA4781330.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 268
https://stylishlyrugged.com/blog/f/“the-harmonica”-collaboration-with-wolfbrae-custom-hatters

Can’t say I like all of the blogger’s aesthetics or style choices, but he at least started with a nice custom hat. Now we just need to hope that Robert stays away from the blowtorches and Fullers Earth and not go the way of Fouquet. :)
I have not heard back but he did ask if I was willing to make him basic fedoras which he would then 'customize' for his clientele. I said sure....just no Wolfbrae logo.

https://stylishlyrugged.com/blog/f/“the-harmonica”-collaboration-with-wolfbrae-custom-hatters

Can’t say I like all of the blogger’s aesthetics or style choices, but he at least started with a nice custom hat. Now we just need to hope that Robert stays away from the blowtorches and Fullers Earth and not go the way of Fouquet. :)
I have to admit I was disappointed as I worked really hard to get the bow work right and I was really pleased with the result and then crushed when I saw his pictures with the bow all hidden behind
all his added debris

It was an Agnoulita Camel suede felt. I loved it, colour, texture. Interestlngly the client used to ready to wear hats, Stetson, Biltmore etc did not like the soft hand and much prefers the stiff felts with sharp creases/bashes.

Some folks really like stiff felt. I’ve had some discussions on the western thread where someone I respect stated he likes very firm felt. I find it harsh and nasty even when it’s pounced incredibly smooth. It takes all kinds.

Some folks really like stiff felt. I’ve had some discussions on the western thread where someone I respect stated he likes very firm felt. I find it harsh and nasty even when it’s pounced incredibly smooth. It takes all kinds.
Yes, I was really pleased with the way the hat turned out, loved the soft hand but he disliked it....mildly shocked I was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21