Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
The initial consultation takes 60 - 90 minutes. Once the customer has chosen the felt I measure him up, size & shape Then I cut the sweat band and fit it to his head. This one step is great as I know when finished the hat will fit him as the sweat has been sized and I build the hat outward from the sweat.
I like the sweatband method, makes everything easy, all the way down to the block size to use. I guess that you are getting to use the your formillion tool a lot.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Yes, it is a good tool and it was sooo much cheaper than the multi thousands $$$$ of the antique ones.
I like the unit that you purchased, made of either Lexan or plexiglass it is light in weight and when the customer puts it on their heads for a fitting, it has to be a bit more comfortable on the head, plus it is easier to pay for, 2-4 thousand for a heavy wooden unit, ouch. How do you get the hat to conform to the customer's head?

I like the unit that you purchased, made of either Lexan or plexiglass it is light in weight and when the customer puts it on their heads for a fitting, it has to be a bit more comfortable on the head, plus it is easier to pay for, 2-4 thousand for a heavy wooden unit, ouch. How do you get the hat to conform to the customer's head?
Each of the plastic feet is moveable and once in place you lock it in with a wing nut. It is a bit fiddly and takes a while to get used to but worth the $200

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Each of the plastic feet is moveable and once in place you lock it in with a wing nut. It is a bit fiddly and takes a while to get used to but worth the $200
Do you make a wooden pattern to put in the hat to conform it to the customer's head? I made one out of wood and through a lot of trial and era I made a piece to use to force the hat into a confrontable shape for my head, it is close enough, not perfect. I didn't have any way to get my head shape.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Scratch that question, I just realized that once you use the formillion, you stick that tool into the hat to form the leather sweatband to the shape of the head. The center sections of the tool look to be kind of large in diameter.

Part of the initial consultation is showing them a wide range of felt types: weight, stiffness, colours. in conjunction with a discussion on how, where and when he will be wearing the hat. What is the purpose of the hat? What is his budget? For the casual hat wearer working with a budget I am not sure beaver felt is the way to go. Beaver felts are now 2 1/2 to 3 times the cost of a good rabbit felt.....and continuing to rise.

From that I can direct him to a felt that will best fit the desired usage. We then talk about wardrobe; what will he wear it with, what occasions, what is the general pallette of his wardrobe. From that I can direct him to a felt colour that will fit best. I sell a lot of Granite coloured Ukraine felts (very similar to the Winchester granite), rabbit and beaver as it is such a versatile colour. You can pretty much wear it with anything and it looks good. The FEPSA granite is a much darker grey colour....I would be inclined to call it a Charcoal.

Tim at Pure Beaver posted this on his Instagram a day or so ago and my jaw dropped.

I thought gas and eggs were bad!

Screenshot_20230417-164310.png

I only h
Scratch that question, I just realized that once you use the formillion, you stick that tool into the hat to form the leather sweatband to the shape of the head. The center sections of the tool look to be kind of large in diameter.
I only have the conformateur not the formillion. I have not bothered to make band blocks for customers. It takes me too long to make them and can't charge enough to make it worth my while. I don't own any for my own hats and don't really see the need. I can always use one of my hat jacks in a pinch.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
I only h

I only have the conformateur not the formillion. I have not bothered to make band blocks for customers. It takes me too long to make them and can't charge enough to make it worth my while. I don't own any for my own hats and don't really see the need. I can always use one of my hat jacks in a pinch.
After looking at the conformateur made of Lexan, I wonder how hard would it be to make a formillion using Lexan.???

chivaceae

New in Town
I just checked the FEPSA beaver bodies at Pure Beaver. From a few days ago to today, the dress weight bodies went from $182.50 to $235 ($52.50 increase), and the western weights went from $265 to $335 (a $70 increase). I should have purchased a couple of bodies last went (but got distracted).
Raul

I just checked the FEPSA beaver bodies at Pure Beaver. From a few days ago to today, the dress weight bodies went from $182.50 to $235 ($52.50 increase), and the western weights went from $265 to $335 (a $70 increase). I should have purchased a couple of bodies last went (but got distracted).
Raul
Yep, beaver may be at the point where it is out of reach of many folks budgets. Not sure Winchester has raised their prices to match but I do know their supply has slowed down to a crawl....up to a year's wait on some colours.

After looking at the conformateur made of Lexan, I wonder how hard would it be to make a formillion using Lexan.???
Unless you have a very weirdly shaped head I don't really see the point of the formillion. You are not going to make a block to match each customer's head and most of us once you get the long oval or reg oval right the hat fits fine.

chivaceae

New in Town
Pretty soon, you'll have to breed your own beavers!
Yes, I saw it as well and still in shock. The worst is we have yet to see the end of it....could get much worse.
Well, the western weight FEPSA beaver bodies at Pure Beaver just had another retail price increase today to $452.50 (compared to the $265 of yesterday, a 70.7% increase in one day). Out of reach altogether.
Raul

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
With beaver at those prices, I don't think to many hats will be sold made of beaver. I couldn't afford a beaver fur hat body before, now the cost is up as high as a car payment. What is driving the cost up, cost of fuel for transportation, the war in Ukraine or both? I think that this is going to get worse, next the price of rabbit will be out of reach. I wonder how long it will take them to build a battery powered rocket to get astronauts to the space station.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You will find several "if I could only have 1 hat" posts that cover this topic. For me, a mid-grey or dark charcoal grey are my go-to hat colors for almost every clothing option. 20200817_154734.jpg

Thank you for all of the information, now I feel better about a granite color hat with my dark blue suit, I guess a dark or medium blue hat band will go with the granite color. My wardrobe is really kind of boring, blue jeans, gray T-shirts, or blue jean long sleeve shirts with pearl color snaps, white socks and gym shoes, the only time that changes is weddings and going to the beaches in Florida, then it is sandals and khaki colored shorts, a big floppy grey and white floppy brim hat, the normal tourist appearance.

Here is the completed "Festival Hat" for a lady headed down to California to attend the "Stampede Festival"....the country & western Coachella. FEPSA rabbit in commando green, deconstructed Balenciaga silk tie, orange leather cord, skull concho, and 1/4" leather thong on the wrap. It is a size 51cm...smallest hat I have ever made. A true collaboration with the client.
20230419_110633.jpg
20230419_110649.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana