Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Oh ok, the last time that I used that stuff I gave the hat body a bath and boy did I get a contact buzz just breathing the fumes. I guess that I need to start having a little mixer before I work with the stuff?
If I am doing a full immersion bath of a felt in a bucket of naptha I do that outside. The fumes don't bother me that much but the fear of fire leads me to caution.

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
No Problem, when I use the denatured alcohol or the Naptha doing a full soaking I put the felt inside a large container that I can use a screw on lid, it is only a problem pouring or opening up the container.

This was a fun one. Client came to me with a costume type hat he picked up on his travels. He loved the hat but it was much too high in the crown.....it resembled a Dr Seuss hat only all in black.
He asked if I could make him one just like it but with a much shorter crown. I replied I wasn't sure but I would give it a go. I had a nice used Borsalino in black, soft vintage hand to the felt.

Here is my result. The best part is he loves it. Says it will be his everyday hat. It is unlined with an elasticized cloth 'sweat band' and no ribbon....just how he wanted it. It does have a nice whip stitched brim treatment. It is actually much nicer than his wool Dr Seuss hat.
He said he would be back as he has ideas for another hat but he wants to enjoy this one for a while first.
patrick1.jpg
patrick 2.jpg

This was a fun one. Client came to me with a costume type hat he picked up on his travels. He loved the hat but it was much too high in the crown.....it resembled a Dr Seuss hat only all in black.
He asked if I could make him one just like it but with a much shorter crown. I replied I wasn't sure but I would give it a go. I had a nice used Borsalino in black, soft vintage hand to the felt.

Here is my result. The best part is he loves it. Says it will be his everyday hat. It is unlined with an elasticized cloth 'sweat band' and no ribbon....just how he wanted it. It does have a nice whip stitched brim treatment. It is actually much nicer than his wool Dr Seuss hat.
He said he would be back as he has ideas for another hat but he wants to enjoy this one for a while first.
View attachment 536650 View attachment 536651

Yikes! I have a black Borsalino in your queue…this is not what I have in mind. ;)

Here is my latest restoration. A Herbert Johnson, made in England for Brooks Bros. Not too much to be done, just a general tidying up, reattachment of the ribbon/bow. The weirdest aspect was the previous 'owner' had glued in the sweat band but did it 90degrees out so the little bow sat at 3:00 o'clock not at 6:00 o'clock. It is now sewn in correctly!
The most work was sanding out the moth tracks....not deep nibbles but a fair number of shallow tracks. They are now almost not visible. The small dark spot on the upper part of the pinch is the last visible remainder.
It is an OK hat, decent felt but not great. Not sure if they produced a cheaper grade hat for the USA market but based on the quality of this hat versus what HJ is currently asking I would not be rushing out to buy one. Perhaps it is the Indy Jones market that keeps their doors open.
HJ1.jpg
HJ2.jpg

Here is my latest restoration. A Herbert Johnson, made in England for Brooks Bros. Not too much to be done, just a general tidying up, reattachment of the ribbon/bow. The weirdest aspect was the previous 'owner' had glued in the sweat band but did it 90degrees out so the little bow sat at 3:00 o'clock not at 6:00 o'clock. It is now sewn in correctly!
The most work was sanding out the moth tracks....not deep nibbles but a fair number of shallow tracks. They are now almost not visible. The small dark spot on the upper part of the pinch is the last visible remainder.
It is an OK hat, decent felt but not great. Not sure if they produced a cheaper grade hat for the USA market but based on the quality of this hat versus what HJ is currently asking I would not be rushing out to buy one. Perhaps it is the Indy Jones market that keeps their doors open. View attachment 539177 View attachment 539178

But does it fit?

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
The previous owner may have put the sweatband in off center by mistake or if he put it on then twisted the hat so the bow was at the 6 oclock position that would have made the brim warp just a little and tighten up on his head. Harrison Ford would give the fedora a little twist like that so the hat would stay on his head during filming, if the hat came off they had to reshoot the scene. In the truck fight scene his hat or his doubles hat never came off once.

I have been delaying going out to the shop as the wildfire smoke has finally been visited upon us. So I am being creative in wasting time. Here are some shots of my favourite shop irons. Left is a curved iron that I use to set the brim break (thank you to Brent). Right is one I picked up from Ebay...sold as a doorstop because it weights just under 25lbs. The 3rd one is a little French iron (won at auction after a heads up from Mr Hufford) used for touch ups on the brim after flanging or curling. All 3 are heated on a little hot plate just behind and to the left.
irons2.jpg
irons3.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I have been delaying going out to the shop as the wildfire smoke has finally been visited upon us. So I am being creative in wasting time. Here are some shots of my favourite shop irons. Left is a curved iron that I use to set the brim break (thank you to Brent). Right is one I picked up from Ebay...sold as a doorstop because it weights just under 25lbs. The 3rd one is a little French iron (won at auction after a heads up from Mr Hufford) used for touch ups on the brim after flanging or curling. All 3 are heated on a little hot plate just behind and to the left. View attachment 541500 View attachment 541501
Love those irons, Robert. Hope the wildfire blows past your way and dies out before doing more damage to others.

Stay safe!

Love those irons, Robert. Hope the wildfire blows past your way and dies out before doing more damage to others.

Stay safe!
We are a long ways from any actual fires and have been untouched until today when the winds blew in the smoke. The winds are supposed to shift tomorrow and blow it somewheres else. It has been a terrible season with much damage inflicted...even in cities such as Kelowna a 5 hour drive from here but a large sprawling modern city.

I am considering adding a line of Panama straws to my offering next spring/summer. Found this very nice unbleached Panama blank in my stock the other day so decided to do a trial run. It was a collaboration with my wife and for her. Blocked on a classic #52 block and the profile turned out so nice decided to leave it open crown.
My wife added the fabric crown trimming out of vintage silk sari material I import from Delhi. It is in a burgundy with beading and the background colour complements the unbleach straw colour.
panama1.jpg
panama3.jpg
panama4.jpg

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
That is some really beautiful work and adding some Panama straw hats to what you offer is a great idea, I was thinking of making something like that this past summer in Fedora hats for men, because there are farm workers that would be very happy with a straw hat for summer work. A couple of my neighbors have cattle, goats and of course there are some that grow tobacco or soey beans. I didn't try it because I have never worked with straw hats before, my luck I could hit it with steam and I would end up with a hand full of straw.
That is really some beautiful work, that hat would sell fast for a good price on Etsy. You and your wife make a great team in your hat business.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Robert. Be careful what you say as you may create a big backlog very quickly.

In other words, put me in the queue!

I am considering adding a line of Panama straws to my offering next spring/summer. Found this very nice unbleached Panama blank in my stock the other day so decided to do a trial run. It was a collaboration with my wife and for her. Blocked on a classic #52 block and the profile turned out so nice decided to leave it open crown.
My wife added the fabric crown trimming out of vintage silk sari material I import from Delhi. It is in a burgundy with beading and the background colour complements the unbleach straw colour. View attachment 543125 View attachment 543126 View attachment 543127

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom