Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Once in a while I sneak my own name o View attachment 463276 View attachment 463277 nto the wait list and make a hat for me. Here is a Ukraine rabbit dress weight in the Military colour felt. I justifiy making hats for me as it is a time to play, to create, to experiment. This was an exercise in trying different pouncing techniques. I gave it a modified Tom Horne bash. Bound edge 9 ligne with matching crown ribbon in 16 ligne.
Love it. Wonderful job Robert. And besides… you deserve to partake of your own spoils!

Customer picked up this hat yesterday. Winchester beaver in Dark Moss. Tone on tone brim binding and the client wanted a splash of colour on the crown ribbon so we went with a bright copper vintage ribbon. A snazzy casual hat.
CIMG0655.JPG

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
I sent Robert a Panama body and he worked his magic. The open crown is 6 1/2” and the brim is about 5 1/4 to 5 1/2” after the curl. I received it open crown and used a Hat Shapers block I bought from Art Fawcett to shape the crown. I might change it to a Gus. I’m not sure that Robert will be keen to take on more Panama projects.

View attachment 449062 View attachment 449063 View attachment 449062 View attachment 449054 View attachment 449055 View attachment 449057 View attachment 449058 View attachment 449059 View attachment 449060
Here we are in late November 2022...I am just responding..sorry bout that..

Hey Brent. you are a man of many hats...and many styles as I see...Good for you ..I am not as adventurous...more conservative when it comes to my personal hats.....but I appreciate seeing others especially brave souls like yourself.. That's some big boy sombrero... hombre you have there....Talk about sun protection....now that's the full enchilada ....lmao..... I got a real kick out of seeing that hat on you Brent...I love it!......I can tell you are owning it....which as most of us know is the most important thing when wearing a hat....you gotta have the full confidence ..cause that shines through to all who you see you in it.

Hello to all the gentlemen who like what Robert at Wolfbrae does ..not only with his craftmanship on customs but working his magic as Brent says as well in doing reblocking....The proof is there for all to see as in Brent's case......Robert can take a hat that is worn and tired and make it come alive again...new or better than new...even a straw hat....Wow...Who knew? I must give Wolfbrae my Cuenca Panama in the spring for a freshening up....(relax.R....ha ha...it will be easier than that big boy of Brent's I promise.....lol_)
Well... ..it has been quite some time since I chimed in.. and I admit I haven't been on the lounge al that much...Now that winter is here in Ontario..I will make a point of visiting more often as its a pleasure to see what all the guys are getting in hats or reblocking.....

.I was fortunate enough to get a tall nineteen thirties stylish custom fedora hat with a tight front centre pinch in Beaver from Robert back in July ..arrived right on my birthday July 15th.......nice two inch vintage chestnut grosgrain band...had a quite few nice comments on this thread and out there as well when wearing it on the street..

.I was so very thrilled with my first custom fedora in beaver....After all as I said in a thread back then....Robert made the exact hat that I had envisioned...
I can see that many of you fellow loungers are pleased with Robert's exceptional work...

So because I loved the first hat I immediately ordered another custom Wolfbrae...........this time in Pecan rabbit fur.....and this one was a forties "Bogart" style hat.....and no surprise to me...this was another fine custom from Robert....deep C crown again that tight front pinch thanks Bogie in Casablanca.....I think we went with 2 7/8th brim width...I like a nice wide brim on my hats.. See pics below...size is 7 3/8ths ..has the two inch vintage grosgrain chestnut ribbon ..I really prefer two inch bands on my hats..and of course it's got the tone on tone binding...Robert's usual attention to detail with the large leather sweat band inside and his white satin I believe lining....He asked if I wanted another fancier colorful lining....but I like the original .the same interior as my first hat..
.Robert is da man when it comes to making hats for me...I will not stray because collaborating with him is a joy. .He's patient.....doesn't rush the process...points out the finer nuances of what he does and provides professional advice Please note: .If you are keen enough to listen then you will really benefit from his wisdom...This is not his first rodeo and his hats are really a testament to that fact. He makes a fine men's custom hat in beaver or rabbit. the real first and second place when it comes to a sturdy material that will last a lifetime...If you are getting a custom then it just makes sense to go with the best furs for a gentlemen's fedora ..in my humble opinion.

So without further adieu a few pictures below of my new beaver Bogart fedora that Robert nailed...two hats ordered and two gold standard hits as far as I am concerned......I have the thirties and forties hats of my dreams thanks to Robert at Wolfbrae...and will not hesitate to go back to Robert for the next one....and the next...ha ha ha..Happy Holidays to all.

Attachments

• 20221019_111049 (3).jpg
    20221019_111049 (3).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20221019_111116.jpg
    20221019_111116.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20221023_163701 (3).jpg
    20221023_163701 (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 20221019_172543 (2).jpg
    20221019_172543 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
Here we are in late November 2022...I am just responding..sorry bout that..

Hey Brent. you are a man of many hats...and many styles as I see...Good for you ..I am not as adventurous...more conservative when it comes to my personal hats.....but I appreciate seeing others especially brave souls like yourself.. That's some big boy sombrero... hombre you have there....Talk about sun protection....now that's the full enchilada ....lmao..... I got a real kick out of seeing that hat on you Brent...I love it!......I can tell you are owning it....which as most of us know is the most important thing when wearing a hat....you gotta have the full confidence ..cause that shines through to all who you see you in it.

Hello to all the gentlemen who like what Robert at Wolfbrae does ..not only with his craftmanship on customs but working his magic as Brent says as well in doing reblocking....The proof is there for all to see as in Brent's case......Robert can take a hat that is worn and tired and make it come alive again...new or better than new...even a straw hat....Wow...Who knew? I must give Wolfbrae my Cuenca Panama in the spring for a freshening up....(relax.R....ha ha...it will be easier than that big boy of Brent's I promise.....lol_)
Well... ..it has been quite some time since I chimed in.. and I admit I haven't been on the lounge al that much...Now that winter is here in Ontario..I will make a point of visiting more often as its a pleasure to see what all the guys are getting in hats or reblocking.....

.I was fortunate enough to get a tall nineteen thirties stylish custom fedora hat with a tight front centre pinch in Beaver from Robert back in July ..arrived right on my birthday July 15th.......nice two inch vintage chestnut grosgrain band...had a quite few nice comments on this thread and out there as well when wearing it on the street..

.I was so very thrilled with my first custom fedora in beaver....After all as I said in a thread back then....Robert made the exact hat that I had envisioned...
I can see that many of you fellow loungers are pleased with Robert's exceptional work...

So because I loved the first hat I immediately ordered another custom Wolfbrae...........this time in Pecan rabbit fur.....and this one was a forties "Bogart" style hat.....and no surprise to me...this was another fine custom from Robert....deep C crown again that tight front pinch thanks Bogie in Casablanca.....I think we went with 2 7/8th brim width...I like a nice wide brim on my hats.. See pics below...size is 7 3/8ths ..has the two inch vintage grosgrain chestnut ribbon ..I really prefer two inch bands on my hats..and of course it's got the tone on tone binding...Robert's usual attention to detail with the large leather sweat band inside and his white satin I believe lining....He asked if I wanted another fancier colorful lining....but I like the original .the same interior as my first hat..
.Robert is da man when it comes to making hats for me...I will not stray because collaborating with him is a joy. .He's patient.....doesn't rush the process...points out the finer nuances of what he does and provides professional advice Please note: .If you are keen enough to listen then you will really benefit from his wisdom...This is not his first rodeo and his hats are really a testament to that fact. He makes a fine men's custom hat in beaver or rabbit. the real first and second place when it comes to a sturdy material that will last a lifetime...If you are getting a custom then it just makes sense to go with the best furs for a gentlemen's fedora ..in my humble opinion.

So without further adieu a few pictures below of my new beaver Bogart fedora that Robert nailed...two hats ordered and two gold standard hits as far as I am concerned......I have the thirties and forties hats of my dreams thanks to Robert at Wolfbrae...and will not hesitate to go back to Robert for the next one....and the next...ha ha ha..Happy Holidays to all.
sorry..I said Beaver..that was a typo..this one is Rabbit.as I said earlier ...My first Wolfbrae was beaver....this one is that nice rabbit brushed velvet looking finish that Robert is now able to get on his hat blanks...I really like the physical apperance of this rabbit Bogart...

I held my last hat making workshop for the year last weekend. My wife decided to jump in and make herself a hat. Here is her work. A lilac coloured Ukraine rabbit dress weight felt. Bridle leather band in a soft purple/ with a darker purple leather thong wrap, antique West African trading bead and a feather. Vintage Japanese silk kimono fabric for the liner. Elaine loved the open crown so decided no bash....leave it as it is. I may have some competition as a hat maker in the family.
CIMG0731.JPG
CIMG0732.JPG

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I held my last hat making workshop for the year last weekend. My wife decided to jump in and make herself a hat. Here is her work. A lilac coloured Ukraine rabbit dress weight felt. Bridle leather band in a soft purple/ with a darker purple leather thong wrap, antique West African trading bead and a feather. Vintage Japanese silk kimono fabric for the liner. Elaine loved the open crown so decided no bash....leave it as it is. I may have some competition as a hat maker in the family. View attachment 468262 View attachment 468263
Looks like we may be dealing with your wife from now on, Robert. Cool hat.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
I held my last hat making workshop for the year last weekend. My wife decided to jump in and make herself a hat. Here is her work. A lilac coloured Ukraine rabbit dress weight felt. Bridle leather band in a soft purple/ with a darker purple leather thong wrap, antique West African trading bead and a feather. Vintage Japanese silk kimono fabric for the liner. Elaine loved the open crown so decided no bash....leave it as it is. I may have some competition as a hat maker in the family. View attachment 468262 View attachment 468263
Competition? I would go for partnership, it appears that your wife has been paying attention to your hat work. Apprentice?

Maybe collaborative designs? I do like her color combination of felt, hat band and feathers.
She has a full time gig as my colour consultant. I pick out 6 or so ribbon colours/widths and call her into the shop to get her perspective. I usually defer to her choices! I have clients that ask specifically...."What does your wife think looks best?"

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
That's great R

...l' m not reallly surprised as l think it's a well known fact that many men are color blind. I know l discovered that at a young age...especially with greens and yellow colors.

Women have been co ordinating their outfits since a young age.. they have more experience... It's reasonable to assume that your wife would have an advantage when it comes to contrasting colors.

Good for you...l think you mentioned that she helped you on that recent green hat...with the gold ribbon.

Very sporty indeed...made the hat "pop"

Cheers!

Gregory

This is my latest; FEPSA 100% beaver/95 gram from Tim@purebeaverhatsupply. I love this felt. Soft, lightweight but with substance. 6" open crown, 3 1/8" brim, shallow flange with a shallow pencil curl. I added a bit of shellac to the brim but after the binding, flange and pencil curl I probably did not need to do it.
CIMG0744.JPG
CIMG0745.JPG
CIMG0748.JPG

The first pic is open crown and the second is the dry crease I put into right after the first pic. No steam or spritzing to hold it. Closest to vintage feel I have worked with in a modern felt. Commando green with vintage Burgundy crown & brim ribbon. The ribbon has strong brown tones to it so that dampens the contrast some. I wanted a bit more contrast and something different from my usual conservative look. This one, to me, fills the bill.

Last edited:

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
This is my latest; FEPSA 100% beaver/95 gram from Tim@purebeaverhatsupply. I love this felt. Soft, lightweight but with substance. 6" open crown, 3 1/8" brim, shallow flange with a shallow pencil curl. I added a bit of shellac to the brim but after the binding, flange and pencil curl I probably did not need to do it.
View attachment 472713 View attachment 472714 View attachment 472715
The first pic is open crown and the second is the dry crease I put into right after the first pic. No steam or spritzing to hold it. Closest to vintage feel I have worked with in a modern felt. Commando green with vintage Burgundy crown & brim ribbon. The ribbon has strong brown tones to it so that dampens the contrast some. I wanted a bit more contrast and something different from my usual conservative look. This one, to me, fills the bill.
...Hi All...Nice combo ..love the burgundy hat band with the (olive green I believe)...The wife's influence once again I see.....Really stylish looking chapeau Robert...great binding too...Cheers.....Gregory E.

...Hi All...Nice combo ..love the burgundy hat band with the (olive green I believe)...The wife's influence once again I see.....Really stylish looking chapeau Robert...great binding too...Cheers.....Gregory E.
It was a joint effort. We were in the shop discussing what she thought would work as the Commando is a different colour...out of the norm. Sort of a moss/khaki green. We could not find anything we were happy with. As she was leaving I pulled out the Burgundy that I had on the bench to sew onto a light beige coloured hat. I asked...."Hey, what about this!". She didn't hesitate and said "Yep, that is the one." Def outside my standard range of choice but I really like it.

Here is a fun Borsalino refurbishment just received by the client. Hat was well worn, missing the ribbon and with heavy/deep mothing on the crown. The mothing too deep to sand out so I reblocked it inside/out, upsized it just a touch to fit him better,
IMG_3333.jpg
a vintage crown ribbon and voila new life to an old hat. I get great satisfaction from this work especially when the old hat has such sentimental value to the owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko