Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
We are snowed in here in the usually mild west coast. So with time on my hands a little boredom sets in and.........

Here is a hat I made for myself a while back, Winchester Nutria in a Moss Green. Added a neat little clasp that holds a playing card, book of matches or other chotzkies. Here I have added a 1939 French 10 franc note to liven the hat up a bit. My wife advised...."next time you get bored go shovel the walkway."

Attachments

• CIMG0750.JPG
    CIMG0750.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 111

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
Well l for one like it!
A variation of the playing card match thang used by so many others.

Of course in that "Artisan Eye piece on You Tube" it shows you hard at work at your hat making craft.

l realky liked that dapper blue hat you had on during that piece.

Nice to be able to whip up a nice new hat at will l reckon!

Cheers Happy holidays all

A huge storm is brewing for the US and many parts of Canada....Ontario here expecting 50 cm in some areas with 80 kph..winds!

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
We are snowed in here in the usually mild west coast. So with time on my hands a little boredom sets in and.........

Here is a hat I made for myself a while back, Winchester Nutria in a Moss Green. Added a neat little clasp that holds a playing card, book of matches or other chotzkies. Here I have added a 1939 French 10 franc note to liven the hat up a bit. My wife advised...."next time you get bored go shovel the walkway."
If you made this hat for yourself because you were bored, how often do you get bored? Your work on hats is always outstanding, top shelf, boredom plus you equals nice hats.

Well l for one like it!
A variation of the playing card match thang used by so many others.

Of course in that "Artisan Eye piece on You Tube" it shows you hard at work at your hat making craft.

l realky liked that dapper blue hat you had on during that piece.

Nice to be able to whip up a nice new hat at will l reckon!

Cheers Happy holidays all

A huge storm is brewing for the US and many parts of Canada....Ontario here expecting 50 cm in some areas with 80 kph..winds!
Even us west coast wimps are getting slammed with winter. Another dump of 8" tonight and then freezing rain for tomorrow. It is supposed to warm up to well above freezing for Saturday so we can drive to my niece's for Christmas Eve dinner.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Even us west coast wimps are getting slammed with winter. Another dump of 8" tonight and then freezing rain for tomorrow. It is supposed to warm up to well above freezing for Saturday so we can drive to my niece's for Christmas Eve dinner.
Well Brother, I think that we are all in the same boat because this winter blast is reaching all the way down into Florida, think about that. There are a number of people down there that do not even have winter coats, they are use to going to the store in shorts, sandles and sometimes string swimsuits.

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
I agree re being well dressed if you change up your hats daily...Although when you change up you don't have to go from a fedora to a bowler ..you can stick with a fedora..in different colors..brims...etc.etc.

Robert is hard at work most days making his fabulous creations from scratch..no machines that I know of in his shop.

See Robert hard at work here: https://mariobartel.com/2022/02/27/this-hatters-not-mad-at-all/

The showcase piece was done a while back but I like it cause it shows a talented Canadian hatter out in Port Coquiltam BC (namely Robert from Wolfbrae) working at his craft in the envirnoment of his choice..in this case in his garage/man cave.

As most of us know there are only a few hatters left in Canada that are making handmade hats...so we have to treasure the one's we have. Those that know and are lucky enough to have been able to obtain a hat from Robert know that he is one of our treasures for certain!

Robert for those who follow this thread collaborates with you and can make the hat that you envision yourself in...by getting careful measurements...communicating back and forth regarding brim and crown size..whether you want a binding..or a fancy interior that is not the norm.....Yes he doesn't only put in silk linings ..he has a few fancier ones up his sleeve and in his shop that he uses as well.

I must again say that the custom Wolfbrae's that Robert did for me in beaver fur and then in rabbit are beautiful crafted durable hats that will stand the test of time.

The first hat Robert made for me was back in the summer..got to me in July on my birthday just by coincidence....It was a tall crown ninetten thirties style gangster type hat...or could have been shaped like an Indiana Jones hat..but that's ot my style...Robert suggested to me to "wear the hell ouf of it"..since it will stand up to whatever weather it comes acoss and still come back..A beaver hat from Robert will last a lifetime.
He really nailed the vision that I had in my head....and turned it into a reality...

For his next magical feat...he whipped up a beautiful velvet finish rabbit's fur hat...and again I couldn't have been happier...it was in a "pecan color" with a 2 inch vintage grosgrain chestnut brown hat band...which complicated the pecan fedora perfectly.

I like each custom Wolfbrae for different reasons...they were both the hats of my dreams and I was really lucky to connect with Robert...He made it so as Captain Picard used to say...

Many of us in the lounge... highly recommend Robert's work...it's onward and upward for our Robert in 2023..

Cheers all!
Gregory Wilde

Attachments

• MY FAV PIC.jpg
    MY FAV PIC.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 20221020_161755.jpg
    20221020_161755.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
I agree re being well dressed if you change up your hats daily...Although when you change up you don't have to go from a fedora to a bowler ..you can stick with a fedora..in different colors..brims...etc.etc.

Robert is hard at work most days making his fabulous creations from scratch..no machines that I know of in his shop.

See Robert hard at work here: https://mariobartel.com/2022/02/27/this-hatters-not-mad-at-all/

The showcase piece was done a while back but I like it cause it shows a talented Canadian hatter out in Port Coquiltam BC (namely Robert from Wolfbrae) working at his craft in the envirnoment of his choice..in this case in his garage/man cave.

As most of us know there are only a few hatters left in Canada that are making handmade hats...so we have to treasure the one's we have. Those that know and are lucky enough to have been able to obtain a hat from Robert know that he is one of our treasures for certain!

Robert for those who follow this thread collaborates with you and can make the hat that you envision yourself in...by getting careful measurements...communicating back and forth regarding brim and crown size..whether you want a binding..or a fancy interior that is not the norm.....Yes he doesn't only put in silk linings ..he has a few fancier ones up his sleeve and in his shop that he uses as well.

I must again say that the custom Wolfbrae's that Robert did for me in beaver fur and then in rabbit are beautiful crafted durable hats that will stand the test of time.

The first hat Robert made for me was back in the summer..got to me in July on my birthday just by coincidence....It was a tall crown ninetten thirties style gangster type hat...or could have been shaped like an Indiana Jones hat..but that's ot my style...Robert suggested to me to "wear the hell ouf of it"..since it will stand up to whatever weather it comes acoss and still come back..A beaver hat from Robert will last a lifetime.
He really nailed the vision that I had in my head....and turned it into a reality...

For his next magical feat...he whipped up a beautiful velvet finish rabbit's fur hat...and again I couldn't have been happier...it was in a "pecan color" with a 2 inch vintage grosgrain chestnut brown hat band...which complicated the pecan fedora perfectly.

I like each custom Wolfbrae for different reasons...they were both the hats of my dreams and I was really lucky to connect with Robert...He made it so as Captain Picard used to say...

Many of us in the lounge... highly recommend Robert's work...it's onward and upward for our Robert in 2023..

Cheers all!
Gregory Wilde
They both look fantastic

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
Ha ha....love that bowler Randy...looks cool...but then again in the sixties many of us loved Mr John. Steed on the Avengers sixties tv series...who looked smashing with that posh bowler hat together with his suit and cane of his running around in an open English sports car......Or on second thought.... thinking back carefully.... then again perhaps it was having the ultra stylish sophisticated Diana Rigg in her skin tight outfits.....Yes I am certain that was a factor in the "cool" ...lmao..

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
View attachment 480891
Wolfbrae Nutria - This pic seems to capture the color and texture well, at least in direct sunlight. It can be a darker green in other light.
Yet another great hat by Robert...dark green...a nice earth tone....looks like that same smooth suede like finish on my last rabbit hat that Robert made for me the pecan Bogie hat.......I really like the size of the brim on this greenie......What are the dimensions on the crown and brim if you don't mind me asking? C crown it looks like as well?

It would be nice to hear from all you Wolfbrae hat guys...out there How long you have been wearing hats for????

Some men come to hats late in life.........others like myself have been wearing them since we were young...following the lead of our fathers..who wore them for protection from the elements and as well for elegance...... All the dads with few exceptions really wore fedoras then.

Here is a pic of myself at around the age 9 or 10 with my father. .. I am in my 73rd year now..I include a pic of me in the present as well......

.Dad who was my hero and a strapping 6 foot 4 gentlemen...had a nice C crown felt on in brown and I had a C crown grey fedora......The idyllic days of the fifties....think that is his Ford behind us...Then I include a shot of me today.. with the 1930's tall C crown beaver Wolfbrae custom fedora...that Robert made for me last summer.

Anyone else has pics of themselves and their fathers wearing hats back in the day..I think it would be very interesting for all to see..Anyone? Hope so...fingers crossed.

Cheers...Gregory

Attachments

• 1247140b221b56e0dc5e1db8308cb7d1_a3b92cab-b340-4c40-8cb6-f68fe7a73847.png
    1247140b221b56e0dc5e1db8308cb7d1_a3b92cab-b340-4c40-8cb6-f68fe7a73847.png
    985.7 KB · Views: 82
  • YOU TALKIN  TO ME.jpg
    YOU TALKIN TO ME.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101

Scooterz

Practically Family
Yet another great hat by Robert...dark green...a nice earth tone....looks like that same smooth suede like finish on my last rabbit hat that Robert made for me the pecan Bogie hat.......I really like the size of the brim on this greenie......What are the dimensions on the crown and brim if you don't mind me asking? C crown it looks like as well?

It would be nice to hear from all you Wolfbrae hat guys...out there How long you have been wearing hats for????

Some men come to hats late in life.........others like myself have been wearing them since we were young...following the lead of our fathers..who wore them for protection from the elements and as well for elegance...... All the dads with few exceptions really wore fedoras then.

Here is a pic of myself at around the age 9 or 10 with my father. .. I am in my 73rd year now..I include a pic of me in the present as well......

.Dad who was my hero and a strapping 6 foot 4 gentlemen...had a nice C crown felt on in brown and I had a C crown grey fedora......The idyllic days of the fifties....think that is his Ford behind us...Then I include a shot of me today.. with the 1930's tall C crown beaver Wolfbrae custom fedora...that Robert made for me last summer.

Anyone else has pics of themselves and their fathers wearing hats back in the day..I think it would be very interesting for all to see..Anyone? Hope so...fingers crossed.

Cheers...Gregory

The dimensions are 4 1/4 inch at the pinch. The brim is 2 5/8 inch. It is a pretty perfect hat.

CIMG0869.JPG
CIMG0872.JPG

Shipping out tomorrow to Toronto. Ukraine dress weight beaver Pecan felt with a vintage burgundy crown ribbon and brim binding. Another customer choice that I think looks brilliant. It is burgundy but has brown tones in it as well as opposed to a deep red. It works so well together. Using my new 3/4" curling shackle to get hybrid Lord's hat and a Homburg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ