Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine Montgomery - any experiences?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I went to the shoeshop to try on a pair of Iron Rangers - again, but a pair of beautiful boots caught my eyes.
It was the Wolverine Montgomery.

It is pressed on the boot that it is a 1000 mile series boot, but on the website they are not in that category?
http://www.wolverine.com/us/1000mile/#/GARRISON/Montgomery
Wolverine+Heritage+Collection+Montgomery.jpg

The Iron Rangers is about $415 and the Wolverine is $315 :eek:

I cant believe how cheap they are. They are buttery soft and look very well made.
The comfort is in an entire different league in the Wolverines, they have padding and built up under the foot and stuff
and are alot more comfortable then the Iron Rangers.
The only explanation I have is that either they are just not known here as a brand like the Red Wings and therefore
they cant sell them for more, or that they are in fact inferior.

Does anyone have them?
I'm sure they will be more comfortable in the long run but I´m a little torn because they are made entirely different
then the Red Wings, they will not get the same patina over time because of the softer leather.
I have a hard time understanding which of these boots are more well made, the Wolverines
have a good sole that looks much more complicated then the Red Wings but the leather is thinner.

Another thing I like about them is the fact that the sole isn't flat - which means it will work even during the first snow.

I was also looking at the Montague, because the easy of putting it on when you have a child wanting to go out in a hurry.
http://www.wolverine.com/us/1000mile/#/GENTLEMAN/Montague
img-thing

The brown ones looks alot better then the blacks, they have an oiled appearance and will develop patina fast.
They are also labeled "1000 mile" imprinted on the boot itself. This boot is $415 and feels too expensive
for what it is compared to the Montgomery.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I imagine these are cheaper than RedWings because they're less well known. Alas, I've been looking at Wolverines down here but they're even pricier than Redwings, probably because so few places, comparatively, have them.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I thought that WV 1000 was better quality than RWs...I wasn't that impressed with my IR, Whites and Wesco are 1000% better for not very much more than the $400 you mentioned.

PoohBang

Suspended
since when are Iron rangers 400+!

wolverines are nice, but thin of the ones I looked at. Plus some are made in china, some are made in the US. All rangers are made in the US I think...

The rangers should last longer than the wolverines as to durability, but the wolverines probably feel nicer on the feet out of the box.

Wolverine has a pretty big line up of styles.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Well the prices is what we pay in my country, it cannot be compared to your prices.

I could order the Iron Rangers from eBay but then I have to pay 25% tax on top of it (plus the shipping to Europe)
so the total will be in the range of the Wolverines in the store anyway.
Now your thinking - hey, get the Wolverines from eBay, but unfortunately I cant find any Montgomerys.
I really want the Originals, but they dont have the commando sole and the first snow could come any day now so I really need it.

Yes the Wolverines are really thin, this is my main concern. And yes they are very very nice on the feet.

I think I will get the Montgomerys now and postpone the "patina-shoes" a year.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Griff,
have you looked at williamlennon.co.uk in their Town & Country specials section there are some very nice boots! these are hand made to order in the UK and are a lot cheaper than either of the boots you mention.
D

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Oh yeah I forgot that store. They have very nice boots for half the price.
I just really need to try the boots on. Last time I got my engineer boots, even tho they are very comfortable, they are a little on the big side
and I don't want to make that mistake again. I really want a boot I can try on here first.

I was mainly wondering if anyone had the Montgomery and how they held up.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I cannot comment on the Wolverine boots, however, if you are looking to get "Chelsea" boots (like the second pair you considered), one thing I've learned here. RM Williams. Look no further.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I got the Wolverine Montgomery a while ago for 25% less then the IronRangers and the boots are extremely comfortable. I find them to be really wellmade boots for the price and I love the soft leather. It looks like they will develop a patina quite quick even tho it didnt look like it in the store. Not in the same way as an oilpull lether but still very nice.

I recommend them but can offcourse not say anything about the lasting quality, although all seams and such look proffessional.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Everytime I buy that type of boot and it isnt Whites or Wescos, I wind up disappointed. Better to save up for the best quality period.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Whites & Wesco are great boots. Really expensive, too. I suppose if I were a logger, or had to climb utility poles, I would want nothing but the best for those purposes. But I don't climb poles or chop trees. For my use, plenty of good boots will fit the bill. My daily wear work boots right now are Rocky. Rocky boots have served me well in the rain, and they are still somewhat affordable.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Exactly, they are in the 1000-mile series wich isnt a bad product series, and they are cheap.
Mine got scuffed real quick in a good way on top of the boot, and the sole looks like it will last for a long time. My Redwing engineers soles wear alot quicker.

I have only wore them for a short time, but up until now they are very good for the money and my most comfortable boot I have ever owed. (wich may actually say more about me then the boot since I used to wear snakeskin cowboyboots, but trust me, the Wolverines are veeeery comfy)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Plenty of boots are in the less than $200 range, well made, and very comfortable. Wolverine, Rocky, Bates, Danner, Corcoran/Matterhorn/HH Brown, Dr. Martens, and the list goes on. I've even bought very good shoes from Sears Roebuck, under their Diehard brand, for about $50. For me, shoes get re-soled until I wear through the uppers or vamp. Sometimes the leather is just too damaged to save. I've ripped and torn the leather on some of the best shoes. But for the average guy who isn't fighting in the streets, kicking in doors, or falling off motorcycles, most of your better made shoes should last a lifetime if cared for properly. As far as comfort goes, the best thing to do is to have your shoes made to measure. Whites Boots and Wesco both offer this. The rest of us have to just try different models from different brands, until we find one that was built on a last similar to our feet. Ever wonder how one guy finds a certain shoe comfortable, and the next guy doesn't like it? Also, I think some guys are wearing the wrong size shoe. Some people just don't know that they should be wearing a wider size, or that their toes are not suppose to go to the end of the shoe.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Plenty of boots are in the less than $200 range, well made, and very comfortable. Wolverine, Rocky, Bates, Danner, Corcoran/Matterhorn/HH Brown, Dr. Martens, and the list goes on. I've even bought very good shoes from Sears Roebuck, under their Diehard brand, for about $50. For me, shoes get re-soled until I wear through the uppers or vamp. Sometimes the leather is just too damaged to save. I've ripped and torn the leather on some of the best shoes. But for the average guy who isn't fighting in the streets, kicking in doors, or falling off motorcycles, most of your better made shoes should last a lifetime if cared for properly. As far as comfort goes, the best thing to do is to have your shoes made to measure. Whites Boots and Wesco both offer this. The rest of us have to just try different models from different brands, until we find one that was built on a last similar to our feet. Ever wonder how one guy finds a certain shoe comfortable, and the next guy doesn't like it? Also, I think some guys are wearing the wrong size shoe. Some people just don't know that they should be wearing a wider size, or that their toes are not suppose to go to the end of the shoe.

There is a difference where one lives tho. Where I live there are almost no shoes available that can get resoled anymore. There is almost only glued-on soles. This is why I got so happy to see these boots, a rare sight in normal shops in this town. A boot with a good sole with leather under, well sewn, and for a fair price.

When I say comfortable I meant the cushioning downwards in the boot, as opposed to the redwings that are flat and hard. Yes one can buy inlay soles and its almost the same. Im just saying for the price in this town there were no combatants aside from the IronRangers. Why I post about them is just because someone might want to know how they are. I know its very personal and I know there are always a better shoe (or jacket) but if we think like that we might aswell close the entire forum from personal comments. :)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
There is a difference where one lives tho. Where I live there are almost no shoes available that can get resoled anymore. There is almost only glued-on soles. This is why I got so happy to see these boots, a rare sight in normal shops in this town. A boot with a good sole with leather under, well sewn, and for a fair price.

When I say comfortable I meant the cushioning downwards in the boot, as opposed to the redwings that are flat and hard. Yes one can buy inlay soles and its almost the same. Im just saying for the price in this town there were no combatants aside from the IronRangers. Why I post about them is just because someone might want to know how they are. I know its very personal and I know there are always a better shoe (or jacket) but if we think like that we might aswell close the entire forum from personal comments. :)

I, for one, appreciate this thread. I have been planning to purchase either a pair of Red Wing IRs or Wolverine Montgomerys and have found the information here to be exactly on point as to the questions I've had about each boot.

I have a local Red Wing dealer near me and I like the fact that I can take the boots back to the store for reconditioning and repairs if and when needed. The idea of local service after the sale is a big plus for me. In my neck of the woods, the Wolverines are only available at upscale "brick and mortar" stores in Chicago (3½ hours away) or St. Louis (1½ hours away). I'm hesitant to order online given the concerns I've read about the inconsistency in sizing and the hassle of returns by mail.

That said, I am definitely going to give the Wolverines a look during a business trip north in a few weeks. The Red Wings have a good look and will no doubt, last a long time with proper care, but they are stiff as a board. Thanks to your review of the Wolverines and your comments about their comfort, I'm giving myself enough time to make the right decision for me before I spend $300 on either pair of boots. Thanks for starting this thread and giving me exactly the information that I was hoping to find! :cool:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Happy to help.

I want to point out that I don't own the IronRangers but the Engineer boots.

From what I can tell by looking at the IronRangers (and also my experience with my engineer boots) the RedWings are made of a tougher and stiffer leather which should make them last longer. The Montgomerys leather is *very* soft and thinner compared to the IronRangers so it comes down to a personal choice between how indestructable you need them and how comfortable you want them. The only thing I could guess is more durable in my Montgomerys is the sole, but this is also compared to the Engineer boots and they have a different sole then the IronRangers (i think).

Personally I was set for the IR when I went to the store but when I tried on the Montgomerys I was sold. They also have a sole that slips less and that suits me because then I can extend the time I use them a little bit into the snow season. Its not a commando-sole, but its enough, the IR is all flat so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff