Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's Hats

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
my wife's thrift store and garage sale panamas
last year's photos
DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
Vintage Style Hats and 1940s Mannequin Display

Hi ladies, I actually posted my hats in the wrong location so I will post a few of them here. All hats are vintage styles, made on vintage hat blocks. I purchased a 1940s mannequin display head and I was playing around with taking images on it.

Also, I'm composing a list of prospective millinery students. So, visit my blog or my Web site, Hatstruck, to be put on my list of prospective students, if you're interested. Classes will be held in the Los Angeles County, South Bay area. I hope you like the images, and if you like my blog, please follow me. Thanks. Oh, there are more images on the sites.

p37_drape1.jpg
blackhat1.jpg
redhat1.jpg
bluehat1.jpg

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
I have been advised to start a thread about ladies hats as the "post new hats here" is a guy- dominated thread. I have seen some of you ladies posting hats pictures on other threads, related to 1920's attire and not only, but I think it would be quite fun to have our ladies-only and hats-only thread. What do you think?

I only wish I had a proper vintage one to start the thread with :)o I'm working on it!), but I am sure you ladies, if you like the idea, have plenty to shows us the newbies!

5iid1H089017-02.jpg

http://photos4.hi5.com/0081/544/627/moI3np544627-02.jpg
http://photos3.hi5.com/0082/502/214/jk6sSK502214-02.jpg
51SECZ320033-02.jpg

This a wonderful and beautiful example of a vintage style hat.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do women wear these hats on the street in Los Angeles? I see none of them here in Washington. Personally I don't think women have the nerve to wear fur felt hats in public, particularly vintage ones, at least here in Washington, although they could be brought off by women with the right attitude.

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
Do women wear these hats on the street in Los Angeles? I see none of them here in Washington. Personally I don't think women have the nerve to wear fur felt hats in public, particularly vintage ones, at least here in Washington, although they could be brought off by women with the right attitude.

There are people here (in the South Bay, and I'm sure in other areas) that have vintage cars and wear vintage clothing. Also, church hats are very popular among church ladies. Young ladies are wearing fascinators (what we called cocktail hats) during day hours, and these, in many cases are the same as what was called doll hats in the 30s and 40s. At school where my daughter works, many of the little girls wear fancy headbands; so, I guess there is lots of hat wearing here.

danofarlington

There are people here (in the South Bay, and I'm sure in other areas) that have vintage cars and wear vintage clothing. Also, church hats are very popular among church ladies. Young ladies are wearing fascinators (what we called cocktail hats) during day hours, and these, in many cases are the same as what was called doll hats in the 30s and 40s. At school where my daughter works, many of the little girls wear fancy headbands; so, I guess there is lots of hat wearing here.

So the West Coast leads the East Coast. Maybe the East Coast will follow, some years later, as with other fashions.

danofarlington

Oh, I was thinking you were speaking of the State of Washington and not D.C. I always think of that part of the Country having more hats because of the fashion industry, but I'm no expert.

Not.

Unless they are all worn where I'm not, which is possible. But I don't see them downtown or in the suburbs on the street in everyday life.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Not a particularly good photo but this is one of my newest hats...mid- thirties (?) old stock. Green felt with a metallic type fabric band and bow of a lighter shade.:p
GEDC2031.JPG

NivlemRulz

New in Town
Hey all,

I hope I am posting in the right place. My wife mentioned today that she should look into a hat and I realized I have no idea about what options are out there. She does a lot of horse shows (English not Western) in the summer and said she needs something to keep the sun off of her. I bought my Fed IV for this reason, at least I used this as an excuse to buy it :D

Anyway, any advice would be great!

frussell

One Too Many
Measure her head with a tape, take her to a store that sells hats to try some different styles on, then get cracking on eBay. I've bought 3 or 4 men's hats (western and fedora) in small sizes for my wife that have worked out well. I think most ladies look great in a man's hat style, not just the over-the-top colors and shapes usually set aside for the females. I like ladies in cattleman-blocked Open Roads myself, but that's just me. Ladies in my family wear hats, at least to ride or attend rodeos. Good luck to you. Frank

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy