Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's leather jackets

The Derby is a slim and long fit jacket. I prefer their other "Brando-style jackets" (Highwayman, Thunderbird, C2). The half-belt placement on the derby looks a bit off to me but maybe that's just the photo. Or maybe its because they lengthened the jacket. I also prefer a true belt like on the Highwayman and C2.

Edward

Bartender
The Derby is a slim and long fit jacket. I prefer their other "Brando-style jackets" (Highwayman, Thunderbird, C2). The half-belt placement on the derby looks a bit off to me but maybe that's just the photo. Or maybe its because they lengthened the jacket. I also prefer a true belt like on the Highwayman and C2.

That Derby would be really nice if it stopped at the bottom of the front belt - it's about 2" too long, just looks all out of proportion. Shame, as it's otherwise a nice looking hybrid of a Perfecto and something cut more liked one of the British Lewises.

I'd love something like the Thunderbird with a twin-track zip option. It's a real shame that Vanson haven't caught on to the vogue for fitting these more traditional style jackets with armour pockets. I'm sure they will have among their market those who sneer at such things and want a trad jacket without it, but still a pity they don't offer the option.

That Derby would be really nice if it stopped at the bottom of the front belt - it's about 2" too long, just looks all out of proportion. Shame, as it's otherwise a nice looking hybrid of a Perfecto and something cut more liked one of the British Lewises.

I'd love something like the Thunderbird with a twin-track zip option. It's a real shame that Vanson haven't caught on to the vogue for fitting these more traditional style jackets with armour pockets. I'm sure they will have among their market those who sneer at such things and want a trad jacket without it, but still a pity they don't offer the option.

A Thunderbird with twin-tracks would be killer. My vest is based off the Thunderbird and it really is a nice feeling and wearing cut. As far as I know the only Vanson cross-zip, more traditional style jacket that comes with armor is the Force. That said, I don't see why they would not be able to build something like a Highwayman that accepts armor, though I have never asked. Here is my Force, I recently added the belt and it sits where I think it should.

Force.jpg

For whatever its worth, I spoke with Vanson about armor in their other, traditionally-styled jackets. Its not something they usually do. That said, they can do it but it would be pricey. They need to test for placement of the armor, etc. and then start building and go/tweak from there.

Edward

Bartender
For whatever its worth, I spoke with Vanson about armor in their other, traditionally-styled jackets. Its not something they usually do. That said, they can do it but it would be pricey. They need to test for placement of the armor, etc. and then start building and go/tweak from there.

I imagine it is easer to build a pattern from the ground up with it in than do it from scratch. Lewis have done it with the Super Monza and a padded cafe racer; Gold Top are in the process of dong the same, with the intention of working backwards into installing it in their more traditional models.

I would agree, the foundation is set. An armored Highwayman would be quite the jacket.

Never heard of Gold Top. I just checked out their website and I like the styles shown, and at very reasonable prices.

Edward

Bartender
I would agree, the foundation is set. An armored Highwayman would be quite the jacket.

Never heard of Gold Top. I just checked out their website and I like the styles shown, and at very reasonable prices.

Yeah, the name is an old British label from back in the day. In the sixties they were somewhere between the Mascot jackets and the expensive Lewis stuff. For years, right through the 70s, they supplied various UK policed forces with bike leathers (hence the 'Patrol' name for one of the jackets), but, as with so many names, they went under - I think in the early 80s; the British motorcycle leather industry was a big deal until the early eighties, when it died the way the British motorcycle industry itself had died off a decade or so before. The guy behind this new project acquired the name about a decade ago, and has been steadily building up a following since. Not yet handled one of the leathers (I'll buy a 617 and a 59 both just as soon as they armour them up), but I bought my dad one of their submarine sweaters for his birthday last month and the quality is truly impressive. Be interesting to see which jacket comes out first with the armour; I also fancy the tan Patrol....

Yeah, the name is an old British label from back in the day. In the sixties they were somewhere between the Mascot jackets and the expensive Lewis stuff. For years, right through the 70s, they supplied various UK policed forces with bike leathers (hence the 'Patrol' name for one of the jackets), but, as with so many names, they went under - I think in the early 80s; the British motorcycle leather industry was a big deal until the early eighties, when it died the way the British motorcycle industry itself had died off a decade or so before. The guy behind this new project acquired the name about a decade ago, and has been steadily building up a following since. Not yet handled one of the leathers (I'll buy a 617 and a 59 both just as soon as they armour them up), but I bought my dad one of their submarine sweaters for his birthday last month and the quality is truly impressive. Be interesting to see which jacket comes out first with the armour; I also fancy the tan Patrol....

I've always enjoyed watching different companies make comebacks, particularly in things dealing with motorcycles. I certainly will keep an eye on Gold Top. That Black Bobber beckons.

Edward

Bartender
I've always enjoyed watching different companies make comebacks, particularly in things dealing with motorcycles. I certainly will keep an eye on Gold Top. That Black Bobber beckons.

Now here's interesting: they told me the first armoured jackets were on the way a couple of weeks ago; I see today that the Brown Bobber and the 76 Cafe Racer (in black) are now available with Knox armour in shoulders / elbow and back as well. (Presumably one could also use the custom order feature to order either of those jackets in black or brown leather as appropriate.) This is definitely an interesting development. Fingers crossed they'll get to the 59 soon; I have long fancied putting together a Brit-style rocker jacket which would be a serviceable riding jacket too.

Three things I enjoy— lady in a leather jacket, lady riding a motorcycle, preferably a Harley, and a lady on a Harley wearing a leather jacket. Ha. Don’t get much better.

The jacket fits perfectly. Great look.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
She wanted a real perfecto, so I got her a Mens size 38 Schott 118. off The Bay from Japan.

View attachment 119358
View attachment 119359

She likes it!
Peace,
:)

Surprisingly good fit! I thought the 618 being cut rather boxy than waisted wouldn't suit a women, but this makes me re-consider which jacket to look at for a female friend who approached me recently to help her find a leather jacket! Congratulations to your daughter for owning such a nice jacket and having such a great dad to gift it to her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto