Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's Vintage Christmas Present

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Okay Ladies, so I've a question for you. If your young...or old man were to get you the perfect vintage Christmas present...what would you say that would be? I'm looking for ideas. :)

Jon

Mojito

One Too Many
Depends on the budget, Jon! If money were no object, I'd ask for a blank cheque to buy a haute couture dress at a high end vintage dealer.

But...I'd also love to receive a really nice compact with a Deco design, or a beaded evening bag (Mandalian or Whiting and Davis). You can't have to many of these IMHO.

Any idea of how her tastes run? Does she love her accessories? Whimsical gifts (like a parasol?). A nice 20s or 30s spelter figure - perhaps a Deco lady lamp or clock - would be a bit more pricey, but lovely as well. An embroidered shawl? A scarf?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What about a piece of art, or a vintage version of something she already has, like a vintage gutiar case, or shoe rack. [huh]

Or a vintage gift that you can add to over the years like a pearl necklace, where you can add a new pearl every year.

LD

fleur

One of the Regulars
My husband bought (for a very reasonable price) a vintage cocktail watch. Its very pretty and shows he is actually taking note of what I say! He still finds it a novelty that you have to wind it up!

Although he doesnt know I have got him one too ;)

Novella

Practically Family
For something non-jewelry/accessory - vintage magazines that cater to the interest of the woman receiving the gift (fashion magazines, movie magazines, etc.), DVDs of classic movies (preferably with some sort of meaning, such as movies watched together/movies with a message you want to convey/etc.), a swing dance lesson together, interesting books on vintagy topics. Of course, all this depends on what the lady is like that you're gift buying for.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
The perfect Christmas present

Jon, if money were no object I would like to have an antique vanity table.

I would be happy about the Thin Man DVD Collection or the Jeeves & Wooster DVD Collection. A nice big vintagy handbag. Or just a gift certificat from a bookstore.

Grace

Vendor
I'm with Lady De Winter-a vintage vanity! I've always dreamed of having one, if only I had the room and the $$$!

Or heels, vintage or vintage inspired. Anything pin-up related. I have two pin up girl calendars that will need to be replaced by January. And one real pin up calendar, that is stuck in 1954. :)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Ladies,

Thanks for your replies, as she's a lounge member...I'm going to keep what I am going to get her secret. Let's just focus on smaller things that could fit in either a hat box or a suitcase.

Ideas?

Jon

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I have a thing for the 30's and 40's engagement rings. I'm always searching ebay for one.

You could write her a poem or song using vintage slang, ect.. yet really tell her how you feel about her!

Small items that she can use on her vanity, such as lipstick holders, mirrors, hair reciever, etc. A perfume atomizer with the little balloon you squeeze that she can pour her own scent into?

If you get a ring or some sort of jewelry you could get a vintage pair of gloves to go along with it.. put the jewels inside. Find a vintage hankie with her initials.

Nikki

FedoraGent

One Too Many
The ring...is taken care of. Hankie idea doesn't sound that bad at all. However, getting some vintage hankies and then having them embroidered...now THAT is an idea and having some kind of jewelry in the middle is a cool idea too. You guys are awesome. However, again I haven't chosen anything definitely of course to protect the anonymity.

Jon

Avalon

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
I have a thing for the 30's and 40's engagement rings. I'm always searching ebay for one.

My grandmother blessed me with her engagement ring when she died. Remind me - I'll post a pic up. It's lovely. :)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
You really can't go wrong with something personalized (monogrammed, for example) and a sparkly bauble. ;)
Or check out the perfume thread and get her some lovely vintage-style perfume--antique perfume bottles are also pretty fabulous and make women feel glamourous.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
How about some lovely dress clips? You can find them in a variety of stones (and rhinestones) and a lot of styles. I think a girl needs several dress clips. You can find them on the 'bay', but I've done a lot better by finding them in the local antique shops. I bet if you walked through a few antique shops you could find a lot of ideas. Most dealers will set up little displays just for ladies--like a vanity setting with vintage perfume bottles, dresser set, hankies, etc.

Speaking of vanities--I too, want an art deco one. I let a very nice 30s one get away from me at an antique mall because I thought it was a little high and I could come back later. I found out it was at a very good price and the lucky buyer snagged it up before I came back to the shop. So now I'm still looking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo