Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Womens WWII uniforms?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fwgal, I sent you a PM. We definitely need to go to Bon Ton's. Maybe we can find some estate sales on the way. I'm not sure what WAAF, WASP, WAC, ANC, ARC, WAVES and NNC all stand for but I look forward to learning more.

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
ITG said:
fwgal, I sent you a PM. We definitely need to go to Bon Ton's. Maybe we can find some estate sales on the way. I'm not sure what WAAF, WASP, WAC, ANC, ARC, WAVES and NNC all stand for but I look forward to learning more.

To kick start the learning curve on women in WWII...

WAAF=Womens Auxiliary Air Force, WASP=Women Airforce Service Pilots, WAC=Womens Army Corps, ANC=Army Nurse Corps, ARC=American Red Cross, WAVES=Women Accepted for Voluntary Emergency Service, NNC=Navy Nurse Corps.

I think I got 'em all!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ITG said:

That sounds fun! I have a couple of other "secret hideouts" here in town where I find the best vintage deals.

I think Denise covered what all the acronyms stand for! lol My advice if you're even thinking of starting reenacting is to do some reading about the different women's services and see which one interests you. My first impression was WASP because I could put the basics together relatively easily/inexpensively, and the WASP were trained here in Texas, and had a base out of Love Field, so it kind of stood out to me. If we get together soon, I have some good books you can look through! The best site to start with if you have browsing time is www.blitzkriegbaby.de - she covers a lot of the US women's services and their uniforms, and also has some history and information about each branch on the pages.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ITG said:
A very informative website...I especially like this WASP one:
http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/wasp/copyright.gif
and this one:
http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/usmcwr/copyright.gif
and this is real snazzy ANC:
http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/anc/copyright.gif

I couldn't see those links, I know she has her images protected.

If you decide you want to do WASP, there are 3 of us in my AAF group that do it and we have a lady who repros the blue uniforms for us. We can fix you up! :)

Vanessa

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
I couldn't see those links, I know she has her images protected.

If you decide you want to do WASP, there are 3 of us in my AAF group that do it and we have a lady who repros the blue uniforms for us. We can fix you up! :)

Can you PM about that?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I hated missing the Hangar Dance last year,we accidently planned something that same evening without realising the date.
This year we are not planning anything for October just to ensure that we don't miss it.
I had great luck at Bon Ton and picked up a Red Cross Volunteer Nurse's Aid uniform.It's a pale blue (possibly chambray?)pinafore with hat. I just need a blouse and accessories. I'm hoping i can find a new blouse that is classic enough to pass,but i have no ideas for a bag or shoes.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Fortworthgal-
I have a question,are they still doing bbq dinners,and may we bring our own alcohol?
Thanks!
-Ruby

Oh,I found my uniform on that website provided by Fortworthgal. Here's the link it's the Nurse's Aides Corp uniform.Very informative site,thanks for the listing,but of course i now want to collect them all.
http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/homepage.htm
Well,I can't seem to get it to save on the exact page,but it's under ARC.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Oops! I edited my post without realizing it wouldn't bump up the topic.
Oh well,but now it looks like I'm only conversing with myself.lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Oh gosh, I'm sorry - I forgot about this thread! D'oh!

Yes, as far as I know they still do the BBQ dinner and it will probably always be BYOB! Definitely bring your own!

I love doing ARC! They have such a wide variety of uniforms. For a bag, I'd just go with something plain and civilian. Black would be good, with a shoulder strap if you can find one. For the shoes, a plain lace up oxford with a low heel, in white. If you can't find white, I would think you could get away with the same style shoe in black.

I'm not sure where you are in the area, but there's a USO themed dance this coming Friday June 2 over here in Fort Worth. I can get you more info if you're interested!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
The USO dance sounds like fun.I'll see if I'm working late on friday and if not,hopefully we can make it.I'll be in civvies though,as myonly uniform isn't complete.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo