Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodstock?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Oh sure, get our kids to worship a drug-soaked orgy of lousy music.:rolleyes: Who the frak came up with this idea? Hopefully the product will languish in stores and the joker responsible will be sacked.

I used to like Target, too.

Brad

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Did you notice where the John Q. Woodstock outfit is made? It says -

Made in the USA or Imported

Really!

Well,I was in my early 20s at the time of the origional Woodstock. I did enjoy much of that music..and still listen to some of it today. However...in my view...we are seriously suffering from the many ramifications of "If it feels good..do it" to this very day.
HD

Inky

One Too Many
I was only 9 at the time of the original Woodstock - and what is the saying, if you can remember Woodstock, you weren't there.

I agree with you fully on "However...in my view...we are seriously suffering from the many ramifications of "If it feels good..do it" to this very day," HoosierDaddy

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
While I was not a member of Woodstock Nation, I almost ended up going there, was traveling through the area on my way to NYC and noticed a huge amount of traffic.

I asked a garage attendant what was going on, thinking maybe it was a backup from something going on in NYC, was told it was a rock concert.

Had I known who was going to be there, I might have tried to go -- and would have gotten stranded for several days. Rain, drugs, food shortages, not my scene, but the music would have been heavenly.

But, then, I've heard the music without experiencing the rain and drugs.

The 40th anniversary of Woodstock is coming up in August (just to make us all feel old) so I imagine we will see more hype of this sort.

God, that costume is ugly.

karol

Foofoogal

Banned
What strikes me most is hippies whole being was about anti-establishment and against materialism. Isn't it strange that the hippie generation spawned the most material generation.

History repeats itself it is said and I do think with the current conditions there is a scrambling to what was or seemingly was the simpler life.
With the hippie look currently coming back into vogue I just hope the mindless drug scene doesn't come back. (I know it didn't go away but now it is much more dangerous.)

http://www.target.com/Roc-Lon-Black...ombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:woodstock&page=1

I especially like this stretch. Not. I am sure this is all for the 40th. anniversary.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Like it, hate it, or be indifferent, it was a landmark event in US history. The only festival of its size without gang problems or violence. Yes, there were minor problems and a whole lot too many drugs - but it was unique.

And I've loved the music since the day I saw the movie. I was in Washington state and nowhere near it, but I was the right age. I tend to think of it as one of the achievements of that age.

And I remember going to college (1968-73) when just about every party had a fragrant haze hanging in every room. MIGHTY fun time to be in college!! :rolleyes: Could even be that I inhaled that low-hanging haze once or twice......?

Tiller

Practically Family
One of the few good things about being born 40-50 years (depending on when you consider the Golden Age to actually be) after the Golden Age is that I didn't have to live through Woodstock and the 60's-70's. I don't see a return to hippidom, and honestly even if there is a small resurgence I see other sub-cultures going against it.

From the punks, and goths, to us vintage and retros, the hippies aren't going to dominate the culture again like they did in 68.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nathan Dodge said:
Yeah, and how come none of those hippies stayed behind to help clean up the mess they made?

Which they did! As the helicopter pulls away from Yasgur's Farm in Bethel, (not Woodstock!), New York, the final shot is a
giant Peace Sign made from the hundreds of garbage bags of collected trash. Unpaid concert goers who stuck around after
the event volunteered to help clean up. Now you have the rest of the story!

-dixon 'peacenik' cannon

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My goodness - lighten up folks. It was a landmark in the history of music.
And - to the joy of some of you - it will NEVER happen again.

Peace, love and harmony.;) :cool:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
Oh sure, get our kids to worship a drug-soaked orgy of lousy music.:rolleyes: Who the frak came up with this idea? Hopefully the product will languish in stores and the joker responsible will be sacked.

I used to like Target, too.

Brad

Whoa! Take a listen to that music again. When I hear Santana's 'Soul Sacrifice' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko I can't stand still!

Or, Ten Years After 'I'm Going Home' - Alvin Lee's guitar! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPX-9QXgGM

Or Janis Joplin...and the Who...and Crosby, Still, and Nash, or Ritchie Havens, Joe Cocker, Arlo Guthrie..... :eusa_clap like 'em or not, these were classics of the era.

buckdrums.jpg

Me. Not playing 'Soul Sacrifice'!

-dixon 'hippie' cannon

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Which they did! As the helicopter pulls away from Yasgur's Farm in Bethel, (not Woodstock!), New York, the final shot is a giant Peace Sign made from the hundreds of garbage bags of collected trash. Unpaid concert goers who stuck around after the event voluteered to help clean up. Now you have the rest of the story!

-dixon 'peacenik' cannon

I meant the mess they made of society. lol ;)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Yeh! Like those flappers and flagpole sitters who became the 'Greatest Generation'!;) Time will tell! [huh]

-dixon 'boomer' cannon

Time has told. It's been forty years since that concert in the mud and the boomers' reputation as spoiled, self-indulgent, hedonistic sell-outs isn't likely to get any better. The only good press that that generation is likely to get is through the histories they themselves write. It's not reflective of the entire group, but those labels still stick.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Thank you Nathan. I am allways surprised when somebody as young as you, can label a whole generation. That easy! Worldwide!! Amazing!!!!:eek:

Read my previous post; I said it wasn't reflective of the entire generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace