Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Felt and Fur Felt in the Rain

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Since the Pinnacle is beaver, if I understand correctly, it should generally be more water/weather resistant than your Temple. The Temple I had was pretty thin felt too.

shopkin

New in Town
If a hat gets soaked, I either wear it until it dries or put it on a block to dry. Otherwise it will be too small the next time I want to wear it. Felted, or woven, they all shrink.

koppsg

New in Town
If a hat gets soaked, I either wear it until it dries or put it on a block to dry. Otherwise it will be too small the next time I want to wear it. Felted, or woven, they all shrink.
That's always what I've heard. A little rain or moisture is no big deal. If it's dripping wet, you need to be concerned with the hat shrinking.

This hasn’t been my experience. I’ve had waterlogged fur felt Akubras that were just hung up that didn’t shrink. I’ve had some others that were pretty wet that didn’t shrink, but to be honest I can go a long time between being in enough rain in a nice felt hat to continue the experiment. I will say that it’s very rare that the vintage hats that pass through my hands show any sign of shrinking. I’d expect that many of them have been soaked in their 70+ years of existence and I’d guess few if any of them were dried on a block etc.

nidan48

New in Town
I've always worn my Akubras for bad weather.
Seems to make them look better.
Should dry them on a hat block/hat jack.
Would not wear my Borsolino in the rain.
Got some beaver hats I've never tried in the wet,
maker told me they would handle wet with no problem.
My first hat, akubra over 30 years old

Attachments

• Squatter2.JPG
    Squatter2.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner