Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wool felt v fur felt

byronic

One of the Regulars
hello, my apologies if this has been done before but im new here. i recently bought my first fedora, a wool felt from pachacuti. i liked the look and the fair trade concept appealed to me. im going to show my ignorance here by asking if i should have gone for fur felt instead? which is harder wearing? will my wool felt stand up to the wet irish climate ok? or should i only wear it in dry weather? (not much of that in ireland!) all replies appreciated.

shortbow

Practically Family
I take it from your user name you're a fan of the Poet? One thing's for sure, Lord Byron would not have worn wool felt.:D

But seriously, there is no comparison. Lots of cool deals on vintage fur felt hats on ebay. Hava look maybe. A good quality fur felt hat will put the jingle in your spurs and have a MARKED EFFECT ON YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE!

MAB1

Suspended
I guess what pisses me off about it ... is the fact that with all the knowlege in this world... the only alternative is wool? That won't do it.

It's gonna take some Rocket Science to come up with an alternative to mother nature.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Byronic! Toured the southern half of Ireland about a year ago and loved it!

I'm an avid hat collector and since I started buying fur felt hats I've not looked back.

BUT, I do not regret in the least the half a dozen wool fedoras that I bought previous to going fur. There: I still like my woolies and I'm not ashamed to admit it!:)

As far as holding up; several of my wool hats have been through lots of sweaty Florida summers and showers and wadding up and.... they still hold there shape pretty impressively. I'm sure fur holds up even better, but I've been impressed with these wool hats. Mine have cloth sweatbands and therefore a comfortable fit. They can feel a little scratchy sometimes though.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
MAB1 said:
I guess what pisses me off about it ... is the fact that with all the knowlege in this world... the only alternative is wool? That won't do it.

It's gonna take some Rocket Science to come up with an alternative to mother nature.

You could save the clippings, every time you get a haircut, and felt your own! :D lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24