Wool hats vs. wool felt? Pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Slicksuit, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Slicksuit

Slicksuit One of the Regulars

Which of the two is better? Is pure wool a stiffer hat by design? I get the impression that wool felt is a more inferior hat, is this correct?

2. The Wingnut

The Wingnut One Too Many

'Pure Wool' or 'Wool Felt' are just two ways of saying the same thing.

What you want is fur felt. Wool is garbage. It fades quickly, shrinks, and falls apart when it gets wet(and stinks, too!). No quality hat will be made from wool unless it's a woven / knitted twill panel cap.

3. Slicksuit

Slicksuit One of the Regulars

Excellent advice, Wingnut! I think that your advice has just saved me from wasting my money and experiencing a world of frustration! What do you think of the following hats, available from my local hatter:

Dobbs "Dutton" style: www.tcfb.com/henry/dobbs1.html

or these Stetson styles, "Temple' or 'Saxon': www.tcfb.com/henry/stetson1.html

4. Kentucky Blues

Kentucky Blues A-List Customer

I myself think the stetsons look better, but I think a vintage lid would be much much better ;)

5. SHARPETOYS

SHARPETOYS Call Me a Cab

How about this !!!!!!

I would order a custom from Art Faucett for $125.00 or he has vintage also. Here is his link.http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm. Pick your color and block.
    Just my 2 cents :cool2: :rolleyes: :cool2: