Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool Herbert JOhnsons?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'm so excited I can't contain myself...I just won a Herbert Johnson hat on ebay for $31.00. I'm hoping it's a Poet...the auction advertised it as a wool felt, however, I don't think HJ made a wool fedora. I took a leap of faith on here in hopes that it's fur felt. If so, I've got a 1973 HJ with the Bond Street address.
The seller said that the model is 1356h/4/73. Style is 5/1539. Fedora (or anyone else) do you know if this is consistent with Indy fedoras? I'd post this at COW but they have a strict ebay policy in terms of posts.
Herbert Johnson Ebay hat

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
ITG -- you have been really busy on ebay this week. Looks like there was a bit of a bidding war on that beauty. Congratulations on your win.

Of course, we hope you will have photos taken with the hat on your head (or if not for you, whoever it is for).

I don't know much about HJ hats, except what I read about the early Indy hats, but looks like it might be a keeper, whether it is wool or fur felt. But, I bet some of the guys here know about the history of those hats.

karol

That was a great acquisition there.
I know nothing about Herbert Johnson hats but I doubt their fedoras were made in wool. We are talking a prestigious english hatter that has been around for well over 100 years now. Hatters to royalty and the military.
A web search showed me that they do make wool hats but not in this fedora style. They make wool caps and those wool tweed hats.
Looks like you have a nice fur felt there to me. :) The price was also very good. I hope you and "the Hat" have many years of adventures together. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Victor

One of the Regulars
I saw that auction. I'm glad you won it as it looked very interesting and I for one am very curious how it turns out. congrats!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. I guess the reason HJ holds a significance for me is the hat Harrison Ford wore as Indy was an HJ. Plus this hat is my size. I never thought I'd own a HJ because the current felt is subpar but the older felt is supposed to be better. If it's the Poet style, then I feel like God was shedding his grace on me when I won it at such a bargain price.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Congrats! Looks like you might have found yourself some gold on ebay! I wear a 7 3/8 so didn't want to take that hat from someone it fit

thefish

Familiar Face
Seems to me that the seller didn't know what they had, because I simply cannot imagine a vintage HJ being made of wool!

Congrats on the new lid Holly! Maybe you can butter up Fedora to throw it on his Raiders block for you!

Wear it with pride!

-Dan

Michaelson

One Too Many
I agree, ITG, I do NOT remember HJ offering a man's hat in wool in their catalog, so you may have a fur felt 'sleeper' there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! High regards. Michaelson

Ken

A-List Customer
Holly

Let us know what its like when you get it.. and if you ever uhh.. get fed up with it (awful pun I know) I know someone else whose size it is ;)

Ken

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I got it this past weekend, and it's definitely fur felt. It's the softest HJ I've ever touched...feels about like an Optimo...baby butt soft as some say.
2 1/4 inches all around...The brim doesn't seem big enough for an Indy. I need to PM Fedora and see if he reblocks it if it can be stretched out to a bigger brim for an Indy fedora. Crown height might be 4 1/2-4 3/4. It's definitely a nice fedora but not a Poet.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Sounds like a great hat!
I really don't think that Fedora can stretch it to a bigger brim though. The felt has to come from somewhere. If he could do that he would have to remove the sweat band and ribbon as well as liner and then lower the crown. Not sure how possible that is but an Indy is both high crowned and wide brimmed. He could stretch it a little if the size is too small for your head but thats a completely different thing than somehow creating a wider brim. I would love to see a pic of it on you though. See how it looks.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, I don't like high crowned Indy hats on me so if it's not 5 + inches, then that's okay with me.

I'll try to get pics soon...I have hot rollers in my hair at the moment so that might be a bit difficult. LOL!

Canadave

One Too Many
ITG said:
Yes, I got it this past weekend, and it's definitely fur felt...

Again, the point is proven. About the only thing you can trust an eBay seller knowing for sure, is that the item for sale IS A HAT. All other info - size, felt, make, vintage etc, should be considered suspect, and size, FOR SURE, must be confirmed.

Congrats on the purchase!

David

I am glad my guess was right. A nice fur felt is definitely better than a wool felt. They just cannot ever get wool smooth enough or soft enough.
I have to agree with CD here. The last interesting hats I bought were sold as suede! They were Suede finish not Suede! You just have to understand what you are buying before you jump in. Here is a picture of my suede hat: :rolleyes:

Stetson-Privateer3.jpg

NO it is not a Gay Prince. :p It is a Stetson Privateer.

Regards to all,

J

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Did you say Privateer???

Hey JP, I actually have a Stetson Privateer hat box. Says Privateer right on the side. I was wondering what the hat looked like. Now I know, just like a Gay Prince, ha ha ha!!

fedoralover

fedoralover said:
Hey JP, I actually have a Stetson Privateer hat box. Says Privateer right on the side. I was wondering what the hat looked like. Now I know, just like a Gay Prince, ha ha ha!!

That is a Privateer not a Gay Prince. Privateer sounds so much more manly. It reminds one of the bounding main and burly pirates such as Sir Francis Drake. ;)
The Gay Prince reminds one of.....well....you know. :p The name makes all the difference int he world. :jeep:
I could use another Privateer box. I actually got two. The other one is a tan color. It looks like this:
Stetson-Privateer1.jpg

I like the suede finish on them. Really soft and smooth. The hats are also 100% original. They could use a reblock though.

Regards to all,

J

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Finally...

Pics are here. So tell me...do you see Indy fedora potenial? My only mistake was not putting some makeup on before I took the pics. I-kore-rumba!

HJfedora_front1.jpg

HJfedora_front3.jpg

HJfedora_side2.jpg

HJfedora_side1.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Is that your new HJ? It is a handsome fedora, with lots of Indy potential. The brim is a bit smaller than most Indy hats, but it still has that Indy look.

Congrats on both your new hats.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo