Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work Hat for All Seasons?

jsecunda

New in Town
Hi folks - Sorry to bother you with this question, but although I'm registered, I can't seem to access the Search function. Thanks to whatever strange bug you people have infected me with, I now own an Optimo and an Akubra.:eek:

Now, I'm looking for a hat that looks flattering/non-dorky but tough enough to be worn while mowing lawns, shoveling snow, walking a beach etc. Is there such an animal, or should I just settle for dorky?

Thanks for your thoughts-
js

Magus

Practically Family
jsecunda said:
Hi folks - Sorry to bother you with this question, but although I'm registered, I can't seem to access the Search function. Thanks to whatever strange bug you people have infected me with, I now own an Optimo and an Akubra.:eek:

Now, I'm looking for a hat that looks flattering/non-dorky but tough enough to be worn while mowing lawns, shoveling snow, walking a beach etc. Is there such an animal, or should I just settle for dorky?

Thanks for your thoughts-
js

In order to fill all those bills, to me the hat you describe has a basic requirement. It has to be one that you don't mind having ruined or damaged. And to me that means an eBay vintage cheapie....maybe one that has a bit of wear on it that you can work on. I have one like that which you can view in the "MyHattIn Project" thread. I paid $8 or so for it...invested another $8 in fixing it...and would wear it in any of the conditions you mentioned. I would focus on a style you like...then get one I don't mind messing up...in that style...and go for it.

M

Raindog

One of the Regulars
I totally agree with you Magus....But I can't bring myself to not care about any hat I have:eusa_doh:
Even the lowliest battered old felt missing a liner and sweatband and hatband are precious to me!
I'm working on this psychological fault. I'm thinking of buying another Akubra identical to the one I've already got. This will become my bash about do anything in hat.
If I can bear to do it.....

Jeff.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
well, I myself don't really believe in all seasons hats, because of temperature reasons. I couldn't imagine shoveling snow in a panama, but I couldn't imagine walking along a beach in anything but. I think for most cases, a cheap panama would do. But for wintery, cooler weather, I'd say even a nice felt hat would work. If its a quality hat, it can take a beating, especially one you don't put on it for the sake of beating. So your akubra or Optimo would probably work just fine while shoveling snow. I myself prefer a wide variety of hats... a hat for any occasion (provided I can) and sometimes too many hats for certain occasions to be able to wear them. And I'm poor as heck, lol. And I certainly agree with all ebay suggestions... thats where... all but one of the hats I wear came from :D

Magus

Practically Family
Raindog said:
I totally agree with you Magus....But I can't bring myself to not care about any hat I have:eusa_doh:
Even the lowliest battered old felt missing a liner and sweatband and hatband are precious to me!
I'm working on this psychological fault. I'm thinking of buying another Akubra identical to the one I've already got. This will become my bash about do anything in hat.
If I can bear to do it.....

Jeff.

Well Rain....I admit to being a victum of that syndrom myself. But I am going to put it to the test with a Vintage 40's Lee I just won at auction today. $11...moth nibbles and 3/8" too small. If I can get it streched and straightened...ya never know...but the "plan" is a hat to paint (and is paintings) in ...or do yard work etc.

I'll let ya know how ....errrr...badly I fail at it...lol

M

jsecunda

New in Town
Thanks so much for the advice! I have noticed that the Akubra seems bullet-proof re: snow, rain and etc. Also-someone at work mentioned a hat company called Tilley for this purpose. Anyone know about them?
Thanks again-
js

Shademaker

New in Town
For real work? Get a Tilley

ReadyToChop3.jpg

It makes a good winter hat as well with the insulating foam in the crown and brim. That insulation makes it the perfect summer work hat.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have both Tilley and Akubra and would recommend both to anyone wanting an anytime anywhere hat. If you want something a little dressier go for any Akubra. If you want something you can wash and crush into a backpack go for a Tilley. That’s my two cents worth.
Johnny

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Another vote for a Tilley. Lifetime guaranteed, even if you lose it. Prices run in the $60-$70 range.

If you really want a felt hat, hang out on Ebay and pick up an old Open Road that has seen some use - it will not be very expensive. You can then shape it, wear it and enjoy it with a clear conscience.

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Jones hat

I have a soft spot for my Jones hat from Cabela's Outfitters. I bought it for duck hunting, but it sees plenty of wear in the city. LL Bean sells a non-camo version, but camo can be good in a work hat as it masks stains and spatters. These hats tend to be insulated (duck season is in the colder months) and made of Gore-tex (i.e. waterproof). I have been considering getting a second one and cutting out the insulation for summer use. Jones hats resemble fedoras in that they turn up at the back and down in the front, but the crown is soft and rounded.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Work hat for all seasons...

My work hat for all seasons is one of those cheap, Stetson knock-off, Indy Jones that I've had since 1983. It's dusty, dirty, sweaty and, no matter what the project it still looks appropriate - that is, 'cool'!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner