Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Trade Center

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks to all of you for keeping your discussions on the film.
As we approach the fifth year anniversary of 09/11 and considering all of the tensions in the world, all of our emotions are high. I appreciate your confining the discussions to the film and moving the politics over to “The Observation Bar.”

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got back from seeing it with my 20 year old son. The film focuses on rescuing; the rescuers and the rescued. I'm a pastor, and there were aspects of the film I really appreciated as a Christian, but as an American, all of it reminded me of more than a day of terror but of putting others first, like one character says: "Helping others is the only thing I'm good at!" If that is all any of us are good at, it is enough!

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I won't watch this. For me, 9/11 will always be a chilling reality.

I pass by the site every day. I had friends working there. My company lost one of our employees who, ironically, was just visiting New York that day.

One of my co-workers lost his best friend and, as a retired NYPD Captain, spent days at the site going through the rubble.

My former secretary worked at 7 World Trade. I figured that she was dead until she called me on 9/13.

A guy that I went to high school with was eating breakfast at Windows on the World when the first plane hit.

I had an employee who was up in the air on a United Airlines flight while all this was going on. He eventually landed safely in Chicago.

My mother went to dozens of funerals.

My wife and I went to the top of the Trade Center on our first date. We spent our first night as a married couple at the Millenium Hotel across the street. She shopped in the concourse the night before 9/11.

I don't need to see this film.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Windows on the World?

"A guy that I went to high school with was eating breakfast at Windows on the World when the first plane hit."

Is that a restaurant in the WTC, or at the top? I don't know. Did he make it?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Did some homework

Here is my answer.

"Windows on the World (1976-2001) was a 50,000 square foot (4,600 m¬?) elegant restaurant that opened in New York City on top (floors 106 and 107) of the North Tower of the World Trade Center in 1976. Windows underwent a $25 million revamp after the 1993 WTC bombing, and in the year 2000 reported revenues were $37.5 million United States dollars, making it the highest-grossing restaurant in the United States.

Windows on the World was destroyed in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. At the time of the attack, the restaurant was hosting regular breakfast patrons and the Waters Financial Technology Congress. In addition to 73 restaurant staff who were present at the time, 16 Waters employees perished as well as all 71 conference guests.

It is believed that the infamous image of the falling man was an employee at Windows On The World named Jonathan Briley.[1]

On January 4th, 2006, a number of surviving Windows on the World staff opened "Colors," a co-operative restaurant in Manhattan that serves as a tribute to their fallen colleagues and whose menu reflects the diversity of the former Windows' staff."

So, I am sorry you lost a friend.

Hondo

One Too Many
G. Fink-Nottle:
I too am sorry about those you knew and lost, I feel the same about the movie, I've better things to do and see than relive this for I'll always remember that day . For a Sept 11th morning (usually warm, sunny am) it sure was dark, cloudy and cold over here on the west coast, it was like as if deaths blanket covered the skies. I got a strange feeling something was wrong, then turned on the TV and the news was all over.
I read so many of the same stories, recalled friends, coworkers, children.
This like JFK memories I'll take to my death bed, God Bless all those who never made it.

Rosie

One Too Many
I highly doubt I will see this film, even when it comes on DVD. I watched this entire thing unfold from my classroom window (after trying unsuccessfully to pull the blinds so that my students wouldn't see it). I know two people who died there and saw hundreds of people walking home, tired, soot covered. I was not AT the site but, I remember being terrified, since we, being in school really had no idea what was going on and couldn't get any reports on tv or the radio for a while. I remember the feeling of not hearing from friends and family who work in and around the towers. I remember walking the street of Manhattan and seeing pictures, posters, crying people everywhere. it just isn't something I'm ready to do and personally, I think it's too soon for such a film. I know there is a need to not forget but, this is one of those happening that won't soon be forgotten, especially for New Yorkers.

deanglen

Cease to lament for that thou canst not help,
And study help for that which thou lament'st.
Time is the nurse and breeder of all good.

The Two Gentlemen Of Verona, Act 3, Sc. I

Twitch

I digested this stuff like most of you as it happened. I ain't gonna see it. Can't imagine Pearl Harbor survivors being interested in watching a movie about it in 1946.......

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
‘World Trade Center’ omits Black soldier

http://newpittsburghcourieronline.c...its-Black-soldier/WTC-movies-unsung-hero.html

“Frankly, we goofed--we learned when we were filming that he was an African-American,” said Shamberg. “We would change it if we could. I actually called him and apologized, and he said he didn’t mind. He was very gracious about it.”

Shamberg also apologized for another African-American officer, Bruce Reynolds, who was also portrayed as white in the movie.

TOO SOON—Marine Sgt. Jason Thomas said that once he spoke to producers, they offered to fly him to the premiere of the film but he declined. He said it was a little “too soon” for him to see the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy