Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

would you live back in time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
No. I am glad to live here and now. If I was to transfer to the 1930's with the upbringing and the way I've become accumulated to life here I would not be able to hack it. I'd love to visit, sure, but live then? The temptation of working in a studio system in the costume department is tempting, but then remembering a working wage of a woman in the 1930s, especially a seamstress? And no internet to be a self-made business, higher overhead, or working out of your home with individual clients who come to your home... no thank you. Modern sewing equipment is just too good.

Oh, and cooking and cleaning 1930s style? With a depression era income? Eep!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lauren said:

Hey, it's not so bad!

washer.jpg

Good exercise! :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
John in Covina said:
My parents had a similar washer in the basement for years. My mom said it would get the whites whiter than any other washer she ever had.

That's because it beat the tar out of the clothes! lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
A lot of my life today probably wouldn't translate well to the 1940's or earlier (and even later).

I am a female college student studying art and women's studies and will be going to get a Master's degree in the near future. I am single, live on my own with other young women and have a job.

The majority of my friends are not of my own race, and my boyfriend (who I am in an open relationship with) is Mexican-American and from a different class background than me.

So even if my friends were transported into the past with me, it's unclear whether the social segregation of the past would prevent us from having the relationships we do today, or if we would just be in the minority. Would me being a college student today have been possible in the past? Maybe, but I would be in a very small, exclusive group of women going on to getting professional degrees.

If I had lived in the past I know I wouldn't have been exposed to the myriad of wonderful educational and social experiences that I have today. I wouldn't be free to live my life as I wanted to, and those that I love wouldn't have been able to either. Freedoms are more important to me than fashion, design and good manners, so, no thanks, I'll stick with 2008.

During WWII, women bonded together more then ever, working together and doing all sorts of activities… They ran the home front wile the men were out to war. They set the standard for the years to come.

There were interracial couples back then, not as common as today, but there were! From those I spoke to who lived then, I have determined that racial intolerance was mostly on the eastern and southern side of the US. West coast areas weren’t as racist as the Bible belt or other parts of the states… look at Lucile Ball… she married a Cuban! And she had a very popular TV show in the 50s!

The 1920s were a very wild time! Women could vote; women started to really come out of their shell they were forced into by Victorians. The term “Anything Goes” wasn’t just a song, the song came from the times… and it was true boy howdy! If people would just really look, listen and learn about our past, they’d learn that it wasn’t like living at Gramma’s house and having to sit straight in your chair and watch your manors all the time. On the other hand, what’s the matter with practicing good manors? Just because it’s more expectable today to act like a brat doesn’t mean its right! There was more of a genuine respect towards others back then in many ways. I believe we had more freedoms back then compared to what we have now! Free speech was practiced, and they defended their rights! Common sense ruled! Crooked political correctness didn’t exist… I don’t believe in racism however, I think people have become too uptight these days. There are things that shouldn’t be tolerated but, instead of them shrinking and running to have someone else fight their battles, they should just take care of their own problems and not make everyone else suffer.

I really dislike our disposable, ungrateful society we have today… that believe we should get everything for free… or just make things cheaper so we don’t have to pay as much… and we must consume as much as possible! Have to be better then the next guy, have to not allow another person to pass us on the free way… have to toss out being courteous and kind hearted because it’s nice, and nice never wins… BAH!

Gosh darn whipper snappers! Think they have all the answers... sheesh!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Eep, no I think I'll stay here in 2008, thanks! I'd love to be a time tourist, but to go back and live there permanently would be a nightmare. I'd miss too many of the advantages we have in this era. I have - partly through my job - been very fortunate in the travel opportunities I've had, which would not have been anything like the case back in the thirties. When it comes to warfare, being a conscientious objector for the most part is much easier nowadays. Medically speaking, I'd probably find it very difficult indeed - the depression I suffered with very badly for some time before it was diagnosed would have gone undiscovered and I would be in a dreadful mess by now. That is, of course, assuming that my appendix (which came very close to bursting before I was rushed into theatre on Sunday night in 1996) didn't get me first! I also suspect that I may have found it potentially very difficult to be Irish here in London some decades ago - truthfully, it was only really around the time I moved over here permanently, in 1999 (and especially post 9/11 when the world had a new bogeyman) that for the first time I was able to go into shops etc here in London without being followed around very closely if they clocked my accent. The farther back you go, the more prejudice there was against the Irish over here, though probably the worst period for that to be fair would have coincided with the peak years of the IRA's military campaign, so you can understand folks' wariness to some degree. As to prejudice which didn't affect me directly, I'm glad I live in a world where black folks aren't forced to sit in the back of the bus, and where apartheid is a thing of the past. It really shocks me just how recently, in relative terms, that all went on.

I think, rather than going back in time 'for real,' I'm much happier preserving what is good about the past while living in 'the now.' I suppose in many ways the 'diesel punk' aesthetic suits me down to the ground: all the advantages of modern living, but with a distinct aert deco / Golden Age flair to it. That plus I still get to live in a world touched by Elvis, Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer, and the rest... :)

Are you kidding. If you wre a young man back in the late 30s you could look forward to the possibility of travelling all over the world all on the government's dime. Of course, the pacifist thing might mess that up.

They did know how to remove appendixest back then. And heck, maybe you wuoldn't be o depressed back then. I am not abig believer, but some blame it on modern life.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Lauren said:
No. I am glad to live here and now. If I was to transfer to the 1930's with the upbringing and the way I've become accumulated to life here I would not be able to hack it. I'd love to visit, sure, but live then? The temptation of working in a studio system in the costume department is tempting, but then remembering a working wage of a woman in the 1930s, especially a seamstress? And no internet to be a self-made business, higher overhead, or working out of your home with individual clients who come to your home... no thank you. Modern sewing equipment is just too good.

Lauren my dear friend, if you became a costume designer back then, you'd have been so famous! YOU are so inundated with talent; you would have commanded respect amongst the Hollywood elite! People would say: Lillian? Lillian who? ;) You wouldn't have to worry about the depression... you'd have maids and such to clean your home! And with your kind heartedness, you'd donate money to support others who haven't anything during those hard times! I seriously think that if you did live back then you'd have been a blessing to the era! You'd have made a mark we'd all know about today!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
All other fun and games aside, like deciding one likes a certain appliance or whatever....

I could easily survive then, yea. Much like today, I would do whatever it took to take care of myself, pay my bills, eat the food I can afford, make sure my car gets me to work....without having to depend on or solicit others charity. Life is rough no matter what era you pick. Humans are humans, and thus the same no matter what era you pick. Man's inhumanity to man....if you will....

Would I want to live then....not necessarily. Having lived in places where things are much less modern, and where you start cooking lunch right after breakfast because it takes that long, and so forth.....shrugs.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I could easily survive then, yea. Much like today, I would do whatever it took to take care of myself, pay my bills, eat the food I can afford, make sure my car gets me to work....without having to depend on or solicit others charity. Life is rough no matter what era you pick. Humans are humans, and thus the same no matter what era you pick. Man's inhumanity to man....if you will....

:eusa_clap agreed!

Kassia

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
You didn't miss anything in the 1970s. Consider yourself lucky to have missed it. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

What was so special about new years eve '99?
I do recall it and it was not the big blow out it was supposed to be.. Same as all other years and the world did not end because our computers were all supposed to die... Akkk.. Much ado about nothing..

I missed half the 60s and half the 70's, imho, and never thought much about it.. Now the 80's there was a fun time... Wheeee...

I do have a question and i don't want to get in trouble for it but here goes.
Since when are Latino or Hispanic people not considered "white" people.. They are Caucasians just like European people.. Aren't they?
I believe that people from the Middle East fall into this catagory too?..
Inquiring minds need to know!!!

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
You mean like this?

and why yes..the blond-ish thing is me....and its the Amazon....its not -all- bad...after laundry...one goes swimming and takes a bath.

amazon2.jpg

Ummm why not save a step and swim with your dirty clothes on?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Kassia said:
Ummm why not save a step and swim with your dirty clothes on?

Because to get dirt out of clothing..you need to scrub....with brushes or on a washboard.....

and alas...I do not possess washboard abs...... ;)

Plus...if one is washing a pile of clothes...putting them off and on.....I won't even ponder how I would wash sheets while wearing them....;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I always thought I'd love to live even further back in history - the 1800's, specifically the Regency period in England. But I would most definitely have to be a member of the genteel society because I don't think I could survive the back-breaking work the rest of the world did.

But I could easily be a lady of leisure.;)

I think I could live in the 1940s - quite easily. The only thing that I wouldn't like would be the lack of advancement in the medical world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav