Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkle me this

MB5

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
Don't skimp on the iron and get some Wal-Mart cheapie job. The key to a good iron is controlled heat and mass. If you need steam, a salt shaker of water will do. Weight can't be counterfeited.

Don't press on the iron, let the weight do the work and let it glide.

I won't skimp, I have needed an iron for a while now and I don’t plan on getting one until I find one I am happy with. I grew up with a Rowenta Pro iron and I compare all the others to it (I'm looking for an $60+ iron in the <$20 range-I probably won't have an iron for a while). I have been trying to find a good old iron at Goodwill, but have not had luck so far. Do you have any recommendations on new models that have sufficient mass? If I had the space, I would probably just look into getting a small press.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MB5 said:
I won't skimp, I have needed an iron for a while now and I don’t plan on getting one until I find one I am happy with. I grew up with a Rowenta Pro iron and I compare all the others to it (I'm looking for an $60+ iron in the <$20 range-I probably won't have an iron for a while). I have been trying to find a good old iron at Goodwill, but have not had luck so far. Do you have any recommendations on new models that have sufficient mass? If I had the space, I would probably just look into getting a small press.

Rowenta is what my mother raised me on. :D

Those presses look like the heat for popping out clothes in a hurry.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
CharlieH. said:
Well, I've gotten many a compliment over the crease in my sleeves...

And I've gotten an amazed and admiring reaction when my mother-in-law realised I ironed my shirt sleeves smooth all around without a crease. She knew a laundry wouldn't go the extra mile.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Me, Too!

MB5 said:
If I had the space, I would probably just look into getting a small press.
;)
CN-555%20Single%20Buck%20Shirt%20Press.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
Well I make, and iron, all my husband's dress shirts and I get about 2 seasons out of them, but it's me not him.

They're in moderate rotation, about 6 per season. So in the spring/summer he's got different shirts then in the fall (and ties and pocket squares, since I make those too, and he has the taste of a squid.) I'm working on suits, although I can passably make those too.

And I use starch, because I believe that all shirts should be uncomfotable to wear. Espically since I'm not wearing them. I do need to get started on some new shirts since we're at the 2 year mark.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina said:
And I use starch, because I believe that all shirts should be uncomfortable to wear.

I agree, but only with women's fashion. ;)

I suppose you "forget" a few pins during the final fitting then? :D

Elaina

One Too Many
carebear said:
I agree, but only with women's fashion. ;)

I suppose you "forget" a few pins during the final fitting then? :D

Nah, I was being tounge in cheek. I generally ball the garment up and sit on it to make sure I have the pins out because my mother once got one stuck in me so bad my Dad had to take a pair of plyers to my tush several hours after she did it.

I do use starch, but he likes it that way, and I do heavy on the collars and cuffs, and light on the shirt part itself. I also use Niagra and then use my nifty mister bottle to get a pressed look.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
It's a freak of nature that most businessmen love though I must fight. How can I look tired and disheveled with a perfectly smooth surface around my collar or my wrists. It's not fair. When I feel tired I expect my shirts to look tired. When I loosen the tie it should look like it needs to relax to match what the shirt has already done.The collar shouldn't demand that the button be fastened and the tien be tightened.

I'm just the opposite. I love the feeling of walking to the subway at the end of the day, seeing every other guy around me with his tie undone and his sleeves rolled up and his shirt tail hanging out, while I'm still looking as fresh as I did when I walked the opposite direction that morning. It actually helps me feel less tired.

Orgetorix said:
I'm just the opposite. I love the feeling of walking to the subway at the end of the day, seeing every other guy around me with his tie undone and his sleeves rolled up and his shirt tail hanging out, while I'm still looking as fresh as I did when I walked the opposite direction that morning. It actually helps me feel less tired.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Jovan said:
Starch. :cry: I only use it on pocket squares, I like my shirts to be nice and soft to the touch.

I want them stiff like boards with creases that could be used to slice tomatoes. :D
The less than stiff shirt has been a relatively modern invention. Cuffs, collars and shirt fronts were always stiff at the beginning of last century and well into it.

Regards,

J

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Starched Shirts

The other day a laundry in my town closed down and all these unclaimed high quality shirts were sent to the Salvos (Aussie for Goodwill).

They were my mate's (with 5 kids) size so I bought 'em for him. Three were Ike Behars that had been heavily starched. I must admit at first I was a little howwified but then I kinda started to look at them and like them. I agree with the above point that there is something likeable about them. But starched collars must be a devil to wear and must damage the fabric due to the stiffness and rubbing factor.

No es verdad?

PS How do you remove the starch?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Heavily starched dress shirts wear out at the collar and cuffs much faster than unstarched (or lightly starched) shirts do. Sea Island cotton shirts fray the fastest, expensive though they are.

If you have very pricey cotton dress shirts and don't feel like replacing or repairing them often, then don't get them heavily starched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner