Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkle me this

cookie said:
The other day a laundry in my town closed down and all these unclaimed high quality shirts were sent to the Salvos (Aussie for Goodwill).

They were my mate's (with 5 kids) size so I bought 'em for him. Three were Ike Behars that had been heavily starched. I must admit at first I was a little howwified but then I kinda started to look at them and like them. I agree with the above point that there is something likeable about them. But starched collars must be a devil to wear and must damage the fabric due to the stiffness and rubbing factor.

No es verdad?

PS How do you remove the starch?

I have not really had a problem with heavy starch. The collars don't wear much at all and neither do the cuffs. [huh] I don't buy cheap shirts but I have had the same results with cheaper brands. Perhaps it is the starch that they use? [huh]
The collars aren't bad at all. Like I said before, you get used to it. They are comfortable to me. They aren't scratchy either. I love a cuff that you can flick with a finger and get a crisp sound back from it. Mmmm mmmmm starch. :p
Even if I had to replace the shirts every year---and I haven't bought a new shirt in years---I would still go for the heavy starch. You can't get the look any other way. I hate a slovenly looking white shirt. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Jovan

Suspended
I forgot to mention, the wear is part of the reason I don't like using starch. Also, if the fabric is relatively thick like Oxford, it'll keep pretty well throughout the day in my experience.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In the mid '80s, when the dollar was strong against the English pound, my dad bought many sea island cotton shirts from Turnbull & Asser, New & Lingwood, and Harvie & Hudson. Then he made the mistake of having them starched regularly. Within a year or two, these shirts were fraying at the spots where the collars and French cuffs fold over.

Marc Chevalier said:
In the mid '80s, when the dollar was strong against the English pound, my dad bought many sea island cotton shirts from Turnbull & Asser, New & Lingwood, and Harvie & Hudson. Then he made the mistake of having them starched regularly. Within a year or two, these shirts were fraying at the spots where the collars and French cuffs fold over.

Note to self, don't buy sea island cotton shirts. :p
I don't get how people wear out starched shirts so fast. I usually get broadcloth and Pima cloth shirts and they work just fine for many, many years. How often do they wear these shirts and have them cleaned? You can't wear the same shirt day after day. [huh]

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Note to self, don't buy sea island cotton shirts. :p

I agree. It's promoted as the finest cotton shirting of all, and it feels like silk. HOWEVER ... the stuff is so tightly woven that it doesn't breathe well at all. You end up sweating like a hog. What's the use of a silky shirt if it makes you feel soggy?

Marc Chevalier said:
Yup. To me, sea island cotton is like these 'Super 200's/300's/1,000,000's' microfibers: expensive and silky, but flimsy and short-wearing. A gimmick, really.

That reminds me of a silk hawaiian shirt I have. The darned thing gets dry cleaned at least once a week and it still holds up well. I wonder what kind of silk they used in that shirt. Yes, it is a Tommy Bahama. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've used over a dozen shirtmakers in my time and to a man they've all instructed don't use starch. On the few occasions where the cleaners have mistakenly starched my shirts I've noticed how quickly they wrinkle and how deeply the wrinkles set. And, starch seriously hampers the breathability of the cloth, making the shirt wear hotter.

Tomasso said:
I've used over a dozen shirtmakers in my time and to a man they've all instructed don't use starch. On the few occasions where the cleaners have mistakenly starched my shirts I've noticed how quickly they wrinkle and how deeply the wrinkles set. And, starch seriously hampers the breathability of the cloth, making the shirt wear hotter.

Your experience has been the opposite of mine but I suppose maybe it depends on who does the cleaning and what you start with. [huh]
I buy off the rack type shirts though so it might be a different experience. I don't notice any difference in warmth but I would like it if it were warmer really. :p

Regards,

J

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
And, starch seriously hampers the breathability of the cloth, making the shirt wear hotter.

I was in basic training in San Antonio during the summer of 1980. We were told that it was the hottest summer on record at that time and were not allowed to starch our uniforms due to that reason.

Cheers,
Tom

PS That was back when we still had fatigues, not BDUs. Starched BDUs are a contradiction. They weren't supposed to be starched but many people did it. I think it caused them to fade quicker. I hated ironing my BDUs so I had them dry cleaned.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
And the score is ????

Sorry James, henceforth and in future, you are to starch no longer, particularly if you change to Sea island cotton shirts.

Sorry mate ... you lost ...starch no more... capisce??

Jovan

Suspended
In my [limited] experience, machine washing on cold delicate and hanging them to dry (with the pocket flaps and pleats shaped neatly beforehand) keeps colours pretty well with ripstop cotton BDUs. Don't know how clean pressed you need yours, but they looked pretty good to me. (I had a pair of the thicker ripstop, not that paper thin stuff they're selling a lot today.)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Unless it's vintage...

...I look at shirts as disposable no matter how nice they are or how much I like them. I wear them hard, send them to the cleaners for laundering -no starch- and once they get frayed, they go.

By then, I have rotated new ones in. It's the circle of life. ;) :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
cookie said:
PS How do you remove the starch?

You boil wash it. Hottest cycle machine will do or boil it on the stove top in a really big stock pot.

Also, starch isn't actually very good for fabric. I'm not exactly sure but it sort of ends up breaking the fibres, as far as I can understand, especially where it folds such as double cuffs or collars.

cookie said:
Sorry James, henceforth and in future, you are to starch no longer, particularly if you change to Sea island cotton shirts.

Sorry mate ... you lost ...starch no more... capisce??

I ain't gonna look sloppy. Heavy starch it is. A load of shirts just went into the cleaners for the heavy starch treatment. Ahhhhhhhhhh starch. Feel the stiff goodness. MMMMMMM.....:p

Regards,

J

Hemingway Jones said:
Unless it's vintage...

...I look at shirts as disposable no matter how nice they are or how much I like them. I wear them hard, send them to the cleaners for laundering -no starch- and once they get frayed, they go.

By then, I have rotated new ones in. It's the circle of life. ;) :)

Exactly. :eusa_clap They aren't meant to last forever. They will wear no matter what you do. Its a shirt not a suit or tie.
You need to try the starch though. ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner