Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkle me this

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I buy shirts from all over the place whethe rthey be made by Brooks Brothers or Ascott Chang or Turnbull and Asser or from Ralph Lauren. I have a big variety and since I have moved from a 17 1/2 collar to a 15 1/2 I have needed to renew my wardrobe.

It's getting harder and harder to find a good off the rack classic shirt that I like that isn't going over to the Wrinkle free side of clothing.

All cotton are easy, though all cotton without wrinkle free is not. I like wrinkles.

Cary Grant's shirts got wrinkles.
James Stewart's shirts got wrinkles
James Bond -- wrinkled
Me -- wrinkle

I like them

Sure you get the crisp look of a new shirt for a week on end and don't look like you need to change the shirt, thoguh i like changing my shirt. If I get home from work and am wrinkled beyond belief and am going to a fancy dress affair I change my shirt... or pull out the iron.

If I'm stuck outside of a house near Mount Rushmore... it just looks better if I have on a wrinkled dress shirt; especially if I end up hanging off the faces on Mount Rushmore.

Wrinkle free is too clean cut... too new... too, too, unwrinkled.

If I slept in my shirt let it look like I slept in my shirt... makes me want to get up in the morning and get cleaned up in a nice pressed shirt.

Anywho that's my take on the subject of wrinkle free.

I have a couple
Used to have more though they are now too big. Now that I need new shirts the all cotten that do wrinkle are just getting hard to find. I'd go tailor made, though... hmmm I just don't want to put soo much cash into shirts right now.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt, I dress intentionally dishevelled often on the weekends. I love that wrinkled suit and wrinkled dress shirt look.

However, at the office, it is wrinkle-free all the way. I love looking unflappable for business; tie perfectly tied and my shirt without a ripple. I am a huge fan of the Brooks Brothers wrinkle free all cotton dress shirts.

But, I agree, there is something cool about being in insouciant disarray.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
Wrinkles!? Its called heavy starch. Fixes everything. :D

Regards,

J
Do you honestly get heavy starch? I don't like the feel of it, personally and I get no starch, so my wrinkle-free shirts don't need it and my regular shirts get wrinkled almost immediately.

Hemingway Jones said:
Do you honestly get heavy starch? I don't like the feel of it, personally and I get no starch, so my wrinkle-free shirts don't need it and my regular shirts get wrinkled almost immediately.

AHHHHHHHHHHH Starch! I like the cuffs and collar to be as stiff as it they were the detachable vintage kind. I hate screwed up collars. It drives me nuts. All my shirts get heavy starch. They eventually wrinkle a bit but just the body not the collars and cuffs. There just is no other way to have your french cuffs done. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
AHHHHHHHHHHH Starch! I like the cuffs and collar to be as stiff as it they were the detachable vintage kind. I hate screwed up collars. It drives me nuts. All my shirts get heavy starch. They eventually wrinkle a bit but just the body not the collars and cuffs. There just is no other way to have your french cuffs done. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J
And a bottle of spray startch at home for touch-ups!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I like a certain amount of rumple. I like the idea that my clothes indicate a certain relaxed attitude, much like the slight mussing of a self-tied bow. I'm not advocating slovenliness, just a subtle hint that you might have been doing something interesting earlier in the day.

Or, as Matt suggests, the previous evening... ;)

Zach R.

Practically Family
I think I own maybe one wrinkle-free shirt. I usually just spot-iron if its not too bad, I mean, if I'm going to have a jacket on, its going to get wrinkled underneath anyway.

Being a lazy college-aged man anyway, I usually forego ironing and just zap-'em in the dryer for a few minutes to get most of the wrinkles out and wear them while they are still warm. That, or get my mother to iron them.:p

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
I buy shirts from all over the place whethe rthey be made by Brooks Brothers or Acott Chang or Turnbull and Asser or from Ralph Lauren. I have a big variety and since I have moved from a 17 1/2 collar to a 15 1/2 I have needed to renew my wardrobe.

Amazing! 17-1/2 is the smallest I've been in the past 20-odd years. Good work!

I can't imagine myself going that far, though, I'd be afraid my head might fall off. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Starch Is Evil

jamespowers said:
I like the cuffs and collar to be as stiff as it they were the detachable vintage kind. All my shirts get heavy starch. They eventually wrinkle a bit but just the body not the collars and cuffs. There just is no other way to have your french cuffs done.

It degrades cotton shirting to the point of decreasing its useful life. A starched shirt actually wrinkles faster and more severely than an unstarched shirt. If you wish for your collars and cuffs to maintain their form simply buy shirts that use a thicker interlining in their construction.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I'm with MK on this one, Matt...

I have gone completely over to the dark side. Nordstrom's wrinke-free 100% is an amazing bio-engineering development. My interest isn't so much about keeping an unwrinkled appearance for 14 hours -- although that's nice, too -- as it is about saving money. At $1.50 per shirt in the laundry, if you take one in every other week, that's $39.00 per shirt per year in laundry fees! (Of course, this math doesn't work if you iron them yourself, but who amongst us REALLY does that?)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I never get any of my shirts starched that I've gotten made in Taiwan. (Everyone else is in t-shirts and jeans here...I atleast want to try to keep some level of casualness to my attire, right?)
For some reason they have a lot of poly-blend fabrics at the tailor here. You have to say to the tailor "I don't want polyester! ALL COTTON!" (in chinese, of course. not english...they'd just think you're crazy...) Then as a precaution you make the tailor cut off a snip and do the lighter test. If it burns a clean edge you've got all cotton. The polyester would ball up into a little ball of plastic.
Has anyone tested this on the wrinkle-free stuff? Does it ball up or burn?
(Everyone should come to Taiwan to get their shirts made...they're like $30 a shirt and the turn around time is about a week or so. I'm still working on finding the perfect collar. I've gotten one with the right length and looks swell with a collar bar but not enough curvature/taper to the point.)

Ray

Feraud

Bartender
Zemke Fan said:
(Of course, this math doesn't work if you iron them yourself, but who amongst us REALLY does that?)
I do!
Yep, every morning I am at the ironing board doing my day's dress shirt.
I do not mind a shirt that eventually shows a few wrinkles.
It shows my bosses I am working. ;)

wrinkles in the body of the shirt i don't care about (largely because they're under a waistcoat most of the time when it's cool enough to be getting around thusly clad). I iron the arms and the collar if it needs it - though the 50s van Heusens that i have have the collar that "will never wrinkle". I no longer take my shirts to be laundered. I do less damage at home.

bk

Tomasso said:
It degrades cotton shirting to the point of decreasing its useful life. A starched shirt actually wrinkles faster and more severely than an unstarched shirt. If you wish for your collars and cuffs to maintain their form simply buy shirts that use a thicker interlining in their construction.

The starch works fine for me and the shirts don't last any shorter than those I didn't have starched previously. [huh] They also wrinkle much less than those that were not starched. I am not sure which kind of shirts you are referring to. [huh] Good luck in finding shirts with thicker interlining. They just don't make them anymore---off the rack I mean. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner