Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB Stetson Open Road 7 5/8 Grey

enrique

New in Town
My great-grand father wore a Grey Stetson Open Road -- now I want one in his honor. I am a 7 5/8 hat size. I realize Silverbelly was the official color name, but also understand Silverbelly is now a light tan. I want this in some shade of grey.

Please contact me at rik82@yahoo.com if you have one you wish to sell.

thanks,

Eric

Last edited:
Finding a vintage Stetson OR in a shade of grey will be a challenge.
I have a Knox 20 OR style hat that is more grey than any of my vintage Stetson OR's. The Stetson silverbelly does run to the tan side.
If you are interested in the Knox 20, here is a photo...What are you looking to spend?

enrique

New in Town
I am new to the forums, and to the world of Vintage hats -- so I am still figuring out what is reasonable for me to spend. I was hoping to do this for between $50-$200 depending on the hat. And, if it matters, I want the cattlemans crease in the crown -- I am assuming I could reblock any hat that did not come with one.

And after reading about the Campdraft on this forum .... I may go that directon. Their "moonstone" appears to be darker grey (with a blue tint)? And their silverbelly -- is there any tan in it?

E

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Akubra silverbelly is very tan, not grey at all. The moonstone is a very light grey (I have no personal experience with the moonstone and am writing based on photos I've seen).

Yes, Campdrafts come open crown & you can put an alpine crease in them.
They are the Open Roads of Australia that Akubra private-labeled for Stetson.
They are heads above what you can get out of HatCo these days for about the same money.

Like Sam said, Moonstone is a lighter grey when compared to a modern Stetson Caribou.
You're going to be pushing that $200 limit since the Campdraft is only offered in Moonstone as a Heritage grade.
Here is a Moonstone CD Deluxe & a Silverbelly CD Deluxe...

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Finding a vintage Stetson OR in a shade of grey will be a challenge.
I have a Knox 20 OR style hat that is more grey than any of my vintage Stetson OR's. The Stetson silverbelly does run to the tan side.
If you are interested in the Knox 20, here is a photo...What are you looking to spend?
I'd be willing to but it off you gt.

Take a look at this hat that Sam sold recently. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...)-Stetson-10x-Open-road-style-hat-225-shipped
It is not as vintage in my book, only about 40 years old or so = mid 70's.
It doesn't have the lower, post-HatCo crown profile, which came in late 70's/early 80's = the modern OR to me.
Although Silverbelly, it has silver/grey ribbon work which gives it the "light grey" look I think you are searching for. (see the last photo posted in first listing, indoor light)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR