Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW II Pilots wearing ties?

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Since we can bring forward pictures to provide evidence of ties, no-ties, regulation shirts, sweaters, t-shirts, and coveralls. What is the answer?
As a point of reference, did Frank Savage or his men wear ties on missions in Twelve O' Clock High? I can't remember. In the movie he was the prototypical "regulation" hard-ass.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Pajamas were banned because, if you were captured and not wearing your uniform, you could be shot by the Germans.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
The problem with pictures...some, not all were staged photos..to answer the question whether a tie was worn in combat by fliers, photos should be scrutinized to ensure they were not staged for the press...Usually, but not always, staged photos show smiling enthusiastic chaps gathered together or around their plane...the flier well centered in the picture...look for the casual photo taken by a friend or ground crew member after a sortie. Jeff Ethell put out some pretty good books with color photos of AAF types in action not staged...One book contained photos taken by a P-38 prop mechanic..good candid pics...

I guess too the theater of combat...haven't seen too many photos of guys with ties in the PTO...or on the continent in the ETO

just a late night thought

Locrian

New in Town
I just watched a documentary called Spitfire Women about the female pilots who flew in WWII. All of the English pilots (men and women) shown seem to be wearing ties; the U.S. pilots (flying British planes) are sometimes seen not to be wearing ties. Of course a lot of the shots are staged publicity photos, but not all. The women are not flying in combat, and that may make a difference to the level of allowed informality, but a very interesting documentary nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy