Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWI Aviator Look

Baggers

Practically Family
Aero's Barnstormer

I got this delivered to me yesterday (yes, Sunday. Don'tcha love Parcelforce Data Post?). They're offering this one on their sale page due to being made from a slightly lighter weight of horsehide than they normally use. The hide is also a bit jerkier than what they'd consider using for this style. Still it's a great looking jacket.

I'm also wearing What Price Glory's RN/RAF rollneck sweater repro underneath to help stave off the chill from the slipstream.

Barnstormer01.jpg

Well, I'm ready for sundowners, what about the rest of you?

Cheers!

Mycroft

One Too Many
PADDY said:
I understand that the thread is about getting a WW1 aviator 'look' for one of the boys here. Be interesting to hear how useful MyCroft has found the focused input so far to achieving 'that look!', as quite a few ideas and interpretations have been shared :)
blackadder4_2.jpg

I'd just like to thank all of you with the way you've helped, directed, suggested and advised to early aviator style looks, types of garments to think about, and places that one might consider looking at for getting some items.
And all in a gentlemanly & focused (home in time for tea and medals) fashion too!:cheers1:

You do make a great team guys, and I for one always find these threads educational and inspiring. I hope the rest of you are getting some new & fresh things from these discussions too!
So much so, I'm off to get a set of Von Richthoften silk jammies now to fly my Fokker tri-plane bed in, as winter is well and truely set in on the Scottish border.

BT and ZF-Thank you once again

Paddy-the information is great, I just got back online today because I had a long, busy weekend. And isn't that giy from Blackadder 4?

Baggers

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Nice one Baggers!
Horsehide that's a tad lighter than usual sounds all good to me-

Why don't you write something in your profile then..?

B
T

Thanks, BT. I figured the lighter weight hide would be more appropriate for our weather here.

And as for my profile, I completely forgot to fill it in. It's still a work in progress, but at least everyone now knows where I live!

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
Smashing (as they say in Blackadder). Baggers, that is a high quality jacket my friend, how warm is it?

It only has a hung cotton drill lining, so it won't be as warm as one with a wool lining which is why I bought it. It hasn't been that cool here today, maybe in the upper fifties or low sixties at mid afternoon, but sunny with a stiff west wind. I started feeling warm with the sweater under it, but man, did it stop that wind!

I'm going to try it with just a shirt tomorrow when I head out on some business errands. "I have a cunning plan" :rolleyes: I 'm going to wear it as much as I can this week so I can get some "break in" going..

Cheers!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
PADDY said:
I'm off to get a set of Von Richthoften silk jammies now to fly my Fokker tri-plane bed in, as winter is well and truely set in on the Scottish border.

You can get Von Richthofen's Gravy Boat here:p :http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/imperialmilitaria.htm

Only $9,999.99:confused:

An Original and Authentic World War I German Flying Ace Manfred von Richthofen -- the Red Baron -- ART KRUPP Hallmarked Silver Gravy Boat.

I'm sure Manfred flew with it often.
RichthofenGravyBoatSide.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
Baggers said:
It only has a hung cotton drill lining, so it won't be as warm as one with a wool lining which is why I bought it. It hasn't been that cool here today, maybe in the upper fifties or low sixties at mid afternoon, but sunny with a stiff west wind. I started feeling warm with the sweater under it, but man, did it stop that wind!

I'm going to try it with just a shirt tomorrow when I head out on some business errands. "I have a cunning plan" :rolleyes: I 'm going to wear it as much as I can this week so I can get some "break in" going..

Cheers!

Baldrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) Yes, sir Captain Blackadder. I love that show. Anyhow thanks for the heads up and tell me how it goes tomarrow.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
You can get Von Richthofen's Gravy Boat here:p :http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/imperialmilitaria.htm

Only $9,999.99:confused:

An Original and Authentic World War I German Flying Ace Manfred von Richthofen -- the Red Baron -- ART KRUPP Hallmarked Silver Gravy Boat.

I'm sure Manfred flew with it often.
RichthofenGravyBoatSide.jpg

I needed that for Gobble Day(Thanksgiving), now I will have to settle for Cristmas in the trenches with it ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
I got this delivered to me yesterday (yes, Sunday. Don'tcha love Parcelforce Data Post?). They're offering this one on their sale page due to being made from a slightly lighter weight of horsehide than they normally use. The hide is also a bit jerkier than what they'd consider using for this style. Still it's a great looking jacket.

I'm also wearing What Price Glory's RN/RAF rollneck sweater repro underneath to help stave off the chill from the slipstream.

Barnstormer01.jpg

Well, I'm ready for sundowners, what about the rest of you?

Cheers!

Baggers! That is a smashing jacket! Well done!

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Thanks Wild Root for the pics of the Great Eddie Rickenbacker. He is one of my heroes from the war. I have also been thinking about putting together a WWI USAAS uniform. I have also been thinking about putting together a Neuport or an SE.5 to buzz around in. Hope all is well.:cheers1:

GG

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Can someone Point Me

Baggers said:
They're offering this one on their sale page due to being made from a slightly lighter weight of horsehide than they normally use.
Barnstormer01.jpg

JUST saw this, and that is a very, very nice jacket. Congrats.

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
JUST saw this, and that is a very, very nice jacket. Congrats.

Thanks. I'm lovin' the heck out of it. I got it here: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com . The model is called the "Barnstormer." I got mine from their sale pages where they're offering it, as well as a couple of other styles, made up from a different type of horsehide other than what they use for their full price versions. You can't really see it in that picture, but the right sleeve has developed a very gnarly look. It adds a lot of character!

I just ordered a 1930s Cossack from them. I can't wait to get it!

Cheers!

GateXC

One of the Regulars
If anyone is up in the greater NYC area this summer and wants to sport their WWI ace gear w/o looking out of place, I recommend swinging by the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (www.oldrhinebeck.org). They've got a huge collection of vintage aeroplanes from WWI and the inter-war period, that FLY. They have shows on the weekend with mock dogfights and the such which are good stuff.

You can also go for 20 min. rides in a 1930's open cockpit bi-plane which is pretty wicked awesome. Nothing like flying over the Hudson River on a nice sunny day with the wind in your hair and having the pilot do a bunch of aerobatics to give you a sense of what it must have been like.

I went a bunch of times when I was a kid and it was amazing for someone interested in biplanes and WWI flying. I heartily recommend it.

Feraud

Bartender
GateXC said:
If anyone is up in the greater NYC area this summer and wants to sport their WWI ace gear w/o looking out of place, I recommend swinging by the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (www.oldrhinebeck.org). They've got a huge collection of vintage aeroplanes from WWI and the inter-war period, that FLY. They have shows on the weekend with mock dogfights and the such which are good stuff.

You can also go for 20 min. rides in a 1930's open cockpit bi-plane which is pretty wicked awesome. Nothing like flying over the Hudson River on a nice sunny day with the wind in your hair and having the pilot do a bunch of aerobatics to give you a sense of what it must have been like.

I went a bunch of times when I was a kid and it was amazing for someone interested in biplanes and WWI flying. I heartily recommend it.
Thanks for the link! This is right up my alley. I wil be there this Summer!!

back on topic..;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch