Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWI Leathers From Flyboys

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
This reminds me;I was in Japan recently and went to MASH so I could drool over the selection of Buzz Rickson jackets (they provide a drool cup at the door-outstanding service!) and they had a truely beautiful Barnstormer style jacket. A kind of russet brown,exquisite craftsmanship and in my size! About $1100 USD. My wife was with me so the jacket remains in Japan...;)

mikepara

Practically Family
Cheers... Salute!

Scotrace, RE: Black Swallow of Death. Thanks for the lesson. You never fail to be an amusing and knowledgeable man. This book shall be my next purchase! quickly followed by a version of that bag.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
French Uniforms

scotrace said:
The film tells the story of the LaFayette Escadrille - US volunteers who fought for the French while the US remained neutral. So these are French uniforms, planes, kit.

Yes, but they are French Armee uniforms. The Escadrille Lafayette was squadron N-124 of the Service Aeronautique, which had a different uniform.

Alan

A2_Junkie

New in Town
A fun movie

Know what? I *liked* this movie. It was fun to watch. I wouldn't accuse it of being historically accurate; nor does it attempt to portray the reality of life in a WWI squadron all that well. HOWEVER, it was entertaining. With three kids and a demanding work life, I've set the bar pretty low for entertainment. Heck, I enjoyed "Armageddon" and I work in the aerospace industry.

Gotta run! I think I hear my grass growing! I can't miss that!

-Peter

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Well, I finally saw this movie, and I'm really kicking myself for not going to see it on the big screen. I thought it was pretty well done, and I really got into the story. Other than all of the bad guys flying red DR.Is (which could technically have happened) and a couple pretty implausible combat scenes, I though the flying sequences were darn good. I liked things like the added detail of oil on the pilots' faces every time they flew, too, and the way the guns were always jamming on them. Those realistic bits really added to it, even if the plot was a bit predictable and totally Hollywood. I still found myself able ot ignore a lot of that and enjoy the show.

And the uniforms, oh, yes, the uniforms. All I can say is, what the heck happened to our uniforms in the last 90 years?! Why can't I be wearing something as sharp as those instead of my blue polyester McPeak monstrosity?! Willi & Wingnut, am I right?! :mad:

WH1

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
And the uniforms, oh, yes, the uniforms. All I can say is, what the heck happened to our uniforms in the last 90 years?! Why can't I be wearing something as sharp as those instead of my blue polyester McPeak monstrosity?! Willi & Wingnut, am I right?! :mad:

I have never understood the army/airforce logic of dressing their personnel in blue and green glad bags. The WW2 uniforms had style especially the pinks and greens.
I am glad the Marine Corps kept the traditional service alpha uniform. It is my favorite, more than the dress blues. Especially now that we can wear the barracks (frame type) cover again. Though, as I have said before I wish we still wore the fair leather belt with the Service Alphas.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Very true. It was tough giving up my Marine Corps uniforms for the Air Force blue, but I really love the Air Force, too. The only thing I really don't like is our cheap, Kmart "dress" uniform. I still work for the Marine Corps in Civil Service, though, so I still get all the Oorahs I can handle!

rgraham

A-List Customer
I just happened to see a pair of similar looking boots at WPGs website this morning.

They look like the M1940 Mounted Service (Cavalry) Boots.

And they look like these guys too.

John Lever

One Too Many
dit dah said:
:eek:fftopic: yes thanks John for the Chapal tip off. Has anyone purchased from them? They have some interesting things.
Not off topic as they sell two WW1 coats.
They sell very top end gear, and prices went interstellar after the Euro.
e.g.£1000 for an A1 !!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot