Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWI Leathers From Flyboys

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Like it or hate it, the film Flyboys had some fine kit. I grabbed some screenshots to share.

flyb1.jpg

Magnificent boots.

flyb2.jpg
flyb3.jpg
flyb4.jpg
flyb5.jpg
flyb6.jpg
flyb7.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The film tells the story of the LaFayette Escadrille - US volunteers who fought for the French while the US remained neutral. So these are French uniforms, planes, kit.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
WWI Leather Aviator Coat

Haven't seen the film, just still shots. PMd Indy Mag about
having him cut one of the leather coats, which he can copy with goat hide.
Decisions, decisions: an Eastman A2 or a 'Flyboy' knockoff. :eek:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Don't let my dad find out, but the more I see and learn about the Great War, the more fascinating it is.
Orvis is doing a jacket and pants in some cloth they've copied from original WWI issue.

17G4L6PB_lg.jpg

Pricey as usual. The coat is in the paper catalog; can't find it online.

Doug C

Practically Family
I like that russet colored great coat, would like to have one for sure.

Doug C

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Blue Max

Remember this film for Tcherman WW1 style?

Anyone remember Ursula Un(sorry) Andress?

Switzerland's greatest export after chocolate.

George Peppard died too young too - remember 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'?

Rooster

Practically Family
A French-African flyer in the unit? I've studied a great deal on the WWI air war and don't recall French-African flyers. Another example of Hollywierd diversity?:rolleyes:
I've been dieing to see the movie, but the DVD player has out smarted me again, I need to get a kid in here to get it going again.:eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, true

The African-American character in the film was the most true-to-life of the bunch. He was based on The real life Eugene Bullard, an American man who was a prize fighter, then joined the Escadrille. He flew and fought well, and when the US entered the fray, he enlisted in the army as a pilot (one of the extremely few flyers with any flight experience - and he had combat experience). In one of the great examples of the era's wasteful stupidity when it came to manpower, he was not permitted to fly with the US Army Air Forces because he was black. How many flyers lost their lives because of the need for trial-and-error training due to this failure to utilize available expertise? The French, God bless them, were not so foolish.

Bullard's story is very interesting and well worth the study.

180px-Eugene_Jacques_Bullard%2C_first_African_American_combat_pilot_in_uniform%2C_First_World_War.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
That's very interesting, glad someone mentioned it 'cause I was wondering about it when I saw the movie. I will read up on him. Thanks.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24